Props Finally Started This...

So far I've made the HALO3 pistol, Battle Rifle, and Sniper Rifle. What next?

• M90A Shotgun

Votes: 58 29.1%
  • M41 Rocket Launcher

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • W/AV M6 G/GNR Spartan Laser

Votes: 63 31.7%
  • MA5C Assault Rifle

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • M7 Caseless SubMachine Gun

Votes: 23 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lopez decided to take a day off again. After I replaced a bearing, he was back to work and I had him make this:
6107758927_c249c00c59_o.jpg

You get three guesses to figure out what I'm building next. I'll be disappointed if it takes two.

Ossim!!! Is it my model or of somebody else?

I KNOW! IT'S BRUTE SHOT!!!

So I guess the first guess doesn't count... Though I've often been tempted to work out a mostly vacformed Brute Shot...

Yes, I'm using some parts from your model. This is the rear support and part of the drum. I'll also be using the main box from your pep model. Then I'll be scratch building the rear assembly, the strap arrangement on the forward end of the barrels, the grips, and the rockets.

So I guess the first guess doesn't count... Though I've often been tempted to work out a mostly vacformed Brute Shot...

Yes, I'm using some parts from your model. This is the rear support and part of the drum. I'll also be using the main box from your pep model. Then I'll be scratch building the rear assembly, the strap arrangement on the forward end of the barrels, the grips, and the rockets.

Will the drum be functional so it rotates and can be removed to reload like in game?

I think you're talking about my Mass Effect M-3 Predator kit:
5911479231_a2fc6a9225_b.jpg
I've got a few castings sitting around if you're into that sort of thing.

And it can be yours. Shoot me a PM and I'll add you to my list for castings. I'm on a roll making a bunch of these for a film project:
6028172634_51f851c823_b.jpg
In the picture above you can see the mold (with a foam casting curing inside it), the first throwaway casting, the first not-so-great casting, and the first great casting. The lightish-red one on the right is the prototype.

Here's a closeup shot of the first great casting:
6027621021_dae3837e83_b.jpg

I haven't painted any of these yet. The metallic tone you see in the picture above is from some gunmetal-colored powder I dusted inside the mold. When the foam cures, it bonds to the powder and it sticks better than paint. I'll still paint it, but if the paint cracks or gets scratched, it won't be as noticeable.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling one or two more foam rubber "stunt" rifles and then I'll cast a rigid resin "hero" rifle for closeup shots. That one will have a removable magazine.

Stay tuned...

Lightish-red? They have a name for that. It's called PINK! haha Love that episode. Keep up the amazing work! Might have to invest in some of your inventory when I get my suit finished.

Hey Thor :) at your request, here's a picture of the completed pistol! I could have done a much better job sanding down the tool marks from lopez (carried over onto the original), but i was just so danged eager to get her painted up and looking snazzy. Thanks again for the pistol. I forgot to mention this but it arrived on my 21st birthday as well. :>

http://d.facdn.net/art/syl/1317525907.syl_halo_3_magnum_m6g.jpg

Its a big image (1200x900) so i'm avoiding posting it as an image insert here to avoid flooding the page. :)

Nice paintjob on the magnum. I love seeing what folks can do with one of my castings.

I know it's been a long time since I've updated this thread, but I've been distracted by the Isaac Clarke and Space Marine builds. With Lopez acting up, I haven't been able to make much progress on the big boom. Now that he's back online, I'm making more noise, more dust, and more parts. Here's one half of the box parts:
6233714076_f4c67271db_o.jpg

Here's all of the box parts laid out together:
316886_10150348391751250_508181249_8186578_1923307163_n.jpg

This is all the help I plan to get from Lopez right on this bad boy. The rest of the build will be done by hand.

Stay tuned...

It's a lot like having an extra pair of hands to do my small pepakura building for me. I still have a lot of work to do on those parts, but it's a huge step forward.

Thank you and please, by all means, leave comments, criticisms, or compliments. This sort of thing tends to work like fuel for my projects. That, and caffeine.

I may end up casting it, but it will be a little while before I do that. Meanwhile, it looks like LeeKeegan is going to be offering up casts of his handmade sniper rifle. I've got one of his M6Gs and a pair of his SMGs and he does great work.

I picked this one up off of ebay for around $900 plus shipping. With the software upgrades and replacement parts I'm probably into it for about $2,000 now. It's a very low-end CNC machine, so I'm pretty much using it to the absolute max of its potential. It's designed so that hobby woodworkers can add carved panels to jewelry boxes and such. I was already taking it a bit above and beyond that with only the second project I started on it.

Still, I had a very good idea of what I was getting into when I bought it. There's a very helpful community of other carvewright owners who post on the forum on the company's website. It's a bit finicky and prone to nuisance failures, but if you have any kind of mechanical inclination and you can read a manual, it's not all that bad.

If money were no object, I'd prefer a 5-axis machine big enough to just carve out my whole suit of armor. If I'm right, a machine of that scale will cost around fifteen times as much money. So that'll have to wait until whatever I do after the project after the HALO project.

MDF, yes. I tried cutting a few pieces out of insulation foam, pine, mahogany, and even cast acrylic. In the end, MDF provides the best paintability, workability, and detail retention for the price. Unfortunately, the adhesive they use to bond the wood fiber together contains formaldehyde, so whenever anyone stops by the workshop the dust on the floor is probably giving them butt cancer or something.

If you don't want one of LeeKeegan's, start a penny jar now.

I do have a bit of a clamp fetish. As you can see in some of the background shots in my build threads, there's clamps everywhere in the shop. Even so, whenever I find myself in the hardware store I always end up picking up a few more. You never can have enough.

UPDATE TIME: Here's some pics from this afternoon:
4918359471_ef948d3b23_b.jpg

4918959214_fde784a7ee_b.jpg

4918359239_9450ffe48e_o.jpg

I only stopped by to pull the clamps and see how it looked now that the epoxy had cured, but I couldn't help but spray it black before I left the workshop.

Tomorrow I'll be doing some emergent repair work on my boat. If that goes quicker than I expect, I'll get Lopez working on the scope housing later in the afternoon.

Stay tuned...

I wanted to know if you can tell me what the best way to get a a file like OBJ , SKP, STL DAE, or MAX into a format that I can cut on my Carvewright. Do you have any links you can show me? I have had the Carvewright for months and have never really used it. I cut like 5 PTN files, and that's it

You need the .stl importer plugin for the carvewright. You can purchase it through carvewright's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back