First Build - 3d printed H3 ODST armor

ODST 422

Oi!

I've been sitting on my ODST armor for a long time now, with little progress so far. This is why I never wanted to create a thread because I wasn't a fan of the idea to open one and then don't give updates in months >﹏<
But not anymore. After having my partially processed helmet and other armor bits lay in a box in my room, constantly reminding me of my missed duties, I asked a friend of mine if they wanted to join in onm building with me so I get some pressure on, and they agreed. So now I'm actually doing a double build, and this live blog serves as another tool to slightly rise pressure.
A thing I really liked about Halo is how much freedom in customization is given in the games, and how beautiful that translates to the cosplay community. I think the only other place I have seen as much variety in costumes as on the Halo forums/discord is the Mandalorian cosplay group.

Now I spend a lot of time doing some digging on the lore about armor, mainly because I'm a nerd and want to get my armor as lore accurate as possible.

ODSTs have traditionally not as much variation in armor as the Spartans. H3 presents four different kinds of the helmets with the standard ODST pattern as base, plus Recon. Armor also does not vary a lot, except of course the shoulders, which I have seen three of: Standard big bulky shoulders, the one Romeo uses (let's call it sharpshooter class) and the one Mickey uses (let's call it demolition class). Plus again the armor ONI ODSTs like Dare field, which varies in helmet, and upper body armor (different shaped chest plate, life support system and the absence of shoulder protection). Another variety noticable is the different kinds of pouches ODST scatter above their armor, the kombat knife, and packpack. Now of course I will use the "lore accurate" as guideline, not rule. Plus given that there's already a Mjolnir helmet resuited for ONI operatives (besides the fact that ODST armor was developed as Mjolnir first and then repurposed to be used by non augumented personal) inegrating Mjolnir armor not seen in the game into my costume is lore wise still absolutely possible.

Currently, my friends armor configuration looks like this

Standard ODST helmet (with a twist)
H3 Recon shoulders
everything else standard
Probably M7S submachine gun

My kit is going to be all standard with a BR55.

My current goal is to finish my friends helmet until Halloween, and finish their entire armor until the end of the year. I should be able to finish the first goal (minus visor) earlier than that, given I have alread printed all the parts, but the second goal could get a bit difficult. I want to do the armor of my friend first because they are much smaller than me and the time cut that means for 3d printing armor is in some cases huge.

Next post is going to be the after processing of the helmet (already partially done). Might be able to post some update (and pics!) tomorrow or even today.

I'm still new to threads, so if there are any suggestions feel free to voice them.

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back