Rex's (First) 3D Printed Spartan

RCSRex

SYNOPSIS

Welp, it was bound to happen. Hello 405th peeps! You can probably already assume why this thread exists. I'm building my MP Spartan suit, specifically my Halo Reach Spartan (with a little extras here and there hopefully)! This is something that I have always dreamed of doing since I was a little kid back in the Halo 2 days, but lacked the time, patience, skill, yadda yadda excuses excuses... you get the gist. I actually remember printing like 100 pages of Pepakura cutout templates as a kid and not knowing what to do with them, lol.

Anyhow, let's get into the fun stuff. First, a rough idea of what I want my Spartan to look like. I whipped this up in Blender a while ago for VRChat use, but never got around to actually doing that. Maybe another time, but it is still mostly accurate for what I would like for my cosplay to look like.

IMG_1730.jpg

THE PRINTER AND FILAMENT

I actually initially started off with an Ender 3 V2 and a couple spools of Sunlu PLA+ when I began this journey. It was an learning experience to say the least. I constantly battled the bed leveling, belt tension, filament stringing, (which I later learned that filaments need to be dry!), instances of heat creep, clogs... yeah. No fun. After a couple months of getting a couple of successful prints here and there, I took a very long break from printing before boxing the printer back up.

One day, I was doing a little window shopping on Micro Center's website when I came across this futuristic looking printer from some company called Bambu Lab, and it's X1 Carbon printer. It advertised itself as: "It just works right out of the box. You don't have to mess with it, just simply hit print, and the printer will handle all the calibrations (Auto-Bed Leveling, Vibration compensation) for you". Safe to say, I was intrigued. That's when I decided to check out a YouTube review on it.

I was sold. It hurt my wallet big time, but I felt that it was a justified investment. :p

Timeskip to today. Let me talk about filament. PLA and it's many subcategories are relatively easy to print. My big concern for it personally is it's heat resistance. It can begin to soften at temperatures of 55–65 °C. I live in Southern California, and more than likely would have to store this cosplay in a sturdy box outside due to the space inside the house. I tried PETG for a while, but it was a stringing NIGHTMARE for me, even after being dried extensively, so I decided to skip on it. Lots of YouTube videos regarding filaments later... I came across a filament called ASA. It was ABS's little brother, but it was bigger in every way. It had the same mechanical properties as ABS (a heat resistance of 95–100 °C!), but had high UV resistance, and generally better weather and chemical resistance off the bat. PLUS, it can be smoothed with acetone, which could in theory cut down on post-processing time significantly when it comes to sanding. I find it to print just as easily as PLA, albeit a little slower, but not by much. The only minus is that it LOVES to warp during a print, especially on large parts. It is extremely highly recommended that your printer has an enclosure if you want to print this filament. I have found a mostly stable way of preventing warping, as long as I keep the temperature inside the printer at a stable 45-50 °C.

One thing to note is ASA, like ABS, emits toxic VOCs while it is printing. You need to invest in a filter system if you want to print this filament. For my use case, I purchased a VOXEL Bento Box 2 Stage Filter that could be installed inside the printer enclosure. It scrubs the air inside the printer enclosure, minimizing the fumes that escape, while keeping the temperature inside the printer nice and hot. As a precaution, I also invested in and staged a LEVOIT Air Purifier with a activated carbon filter next to the printer.

chrome_H4tEmrMlIm.png

The reason for the masking tape on the front of the printer is to try and cover all the gaps in the door to keep all the hot air inside. You can see the Bento Box filter inside the printer on the right hand side.

THE MODELS

The majority of my models will be sourced from NerdForgeDesign and TitlewaveDesigns' files. I've also outsourced some parts, mainly the helmet from Branfuhr Studios, and the undersuit from 850 Armor Works.

Last edited:
PRINT/ARMOR STATUS

Boots - Had some printed, but reconsidering model

Calves - Printed, needs to weld parts together, fitted, and painted

Kneepads - Not yet printed

Thighs - Not yet printed

Groin/Belt - Not yet printed

Undersuit- On order from 850 Armor Works

Forearms- Printed, needs to be fitted and painted

Biceps - Printed, needs to be fitted and painted

Shoulder Attachments - Printed, but not satisfied with quality. May re-print.

Chest and Back - Not yet printed

Shoulder Gaskets- Not yet printed

Neck Seal - Currently printing slowly

ODST Helmet - Ordered, received from Branfuhr Studios

Helmet Visor - Ordered, received from Branfuhr Studios

TACPAD - Printed, needs to be mounted, painted, and finalized on whether I want to use a phone or an acrylic display with an LED under it.

Sniper Bullets / Grenades - Printed, needs to be painted

Last edited:
What are you using to make it wearable? I'm also printing my first ever master chief armor and cosplat for that matter

I'm fully 3d printing my armor and trying to look into a way of attaching it all together to wear. Printing it in all PetG and possibly some in tpu

Okay, probably time for an update lol. Nothing really extortionary to report on. I've just been churning out prints and being a goof when it comes to scaling parts (yes, I know about Armorsmith but don't really like it.), but I think I have a good way of measuring stuff to my proportions now. It's not perfect, but I am pretty satisfied with the parts I've gotten as a result of it. I'm just using a "smart" tape measure that I found on Amazon and using that against myself to see how long I need a part to be. From there, I use OrcaSlicer's measuring tool to see if I need to make a part larger or smaller. For width, I'm cutting the parts and making a test ring on each one to physically see how it would fit on whatever body part I need it to be on, and making it slightly larger from there so I can give myself room to physically put on a piece or add padding if need be.

Also, I just ended up buying a pair of gloves that I saw someone on the 405th Discord mention that looked convincing enough for my satisfaction. I can't find that post now, but thank you to whoever mentioned them!

Picture time!

chrome_4cJLaa1Uq6.png
orca-slicer_bNrtCmxrFv.png

Last edited:
Currently tuning my NinjaTek Chinchilla 75A TPE. I went back and forth with some settings for a couple of hours but I think I found the sweet spot. We shall see! It has to print sloooowww but that's the name of the game for TPU/E...

Okay, probably time for an update lol. Nothing really extortionary to report on. I've just been churning out prints and being a goof when it comes to scaling parts (yes, I know about Armorsmith but don't really like it.), but I think I have a good way of measuring stuff to my proportions now. It's not perfect, but I am pretty satisfied with the parts I've gotten as a result of it. I'm just using a "smart" tape measure that I found on Amazon and using that against myself to see how long I need a part to be. From there, I use OrcaSlicer's measuring tool to see if I need to make a part larger or smaller. For width, I'm cutting the parts and making a test ring on each one to physically see how it would fit on whatever body part I need it to be on, and making it slightly larger from there so I can give myself room to physically put on a piece or add padding if need be.

Also, I just ended up buying a pair of gloves that I saw someone on the 405th Discord mention that looked convincing enough for my satisfaction. I can't find that post now, but thank you to whoever mentioned them!

Picture time!

View attachment 343620View attachment 343619
Looking great so far! I can't wait to see it once you get the first few coats of paint on!

Great write-up and the progress is looking good! I had never heard of ASA before, so reading about its positives and negatives was very cool! I might have to consider finally getting my P1P an enclosure and try it out.

Great write-up and the progress is looking good! I had never heard of ASA before, so reading about its positives and negatives was very cool! I might have to consider finally getting my P1P an enclosure and try it out.
Glad you found my wall of text helpful! lol

I should note that I'm not trying to scare anyone way from using PLA. I'd argue the majority of 3D printed cosplays are printed on it. I'm just going a notch up as a precaution. Better safe than sorry.

In other news, the neck seal is currently printing! It currently has 3 more days left to print. If it turns out successful, I am going to look into possibly printing the rubber part of the thigh armor with this TPE.

Last edited:
Glad you found my wall of text helpful! lol

I should note that I'm not trying to scare anyone way from using PLA. I'd argue the majority of 3D printed cosplays are printed on it. I'm just going a notch up as a precaution. Better safe than sorry.

In other news, the neck seal is currently printing! It currently has 3 more days left to print. If it turns out successful, I am going to look into possibly printing the rubber part of the thigh armor with this TPE.
Good luck with the neck seal! Look forward to seeing the finished result. I am currently making mine out of EVA foam.

4 days later and this is what I have. Pic taken after mostly taking off all the supports immediately after the print finished. They were surprisingly easy to remove. Definitely a lot of post processing required, as it struggled on some overhangs and there are obvious layer lines. but it’s all in one piece, phew. It’s super flexible. I’m gonna have to find a product I can put on it to both make it a little sandable for post processing purposes, black, and
still flexible. Or perhaps I can get away with using a flexible paint to hide a lot of the defects.
IMG_7474.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back