First build: Foam halo reach custom spartan (probably Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's time for an update again, however, the situation has kind of changed xD
Oh, btw, i went to gothemburgh over the weekend, so i didn't have time to build, don't expect a big update :C
I'm glad to say that ALL the ground work is done though!
All the parts are finished, and everything just needs to be strapped up, sanded down and detailed to the max before they are painted, then i'm done :D

So what exactly did i do this time? ^^' well, basically, the rest!
I started with making a quick mock up of the kneepads, which took me about 2 hours for both of em xD not that hard actually...
Then i decided to start on my new shoulder pad, which is in a totally different route than my last one.
This time i went with the fj/para (from the beta, don't remember what it's called now xDD) and it was kind of a challenge!
imag0273f.jpg

This is a pic of the finished kneepads... turned out just fine, not much to do with em xD On the left is also a wip pic of my shoulder guard, but without the nice looking edges and details.
imag0277pd.jpg

imag0278q.jpg

This is where i'm at right now with the shoulder :D
I've actually sanded it down and made two layers of my "plasti-dip" already... I think this is going to be my test subject for painting and detailing, since it's not too difficult to make xD
The picture really doesn't do it justice, cause this is one solid piece, it's absolutely fantastic, probably my best part so far!
imag0276ja.jpg

I'll end it on a picture of all the torso pieces together!
Oh, and i have currently made four layers of plastic primer (plasti-dip-ting) on the helmet, and i can tell ya that it made it almost rock solid!
It still bends a bit, but the foam is closed, and thats the important part!
Oh well, enough from me, happy building 405th, next time, i'll start painting!

Looking nice man! Your skills have defiantly increased since the last up date. The shoulder pad looks really smooth and the seams are perfect. I am really excited now to see how this build pans out :)

Keep up the good work,
Tom.

I'll echo Lil and Drack, stunning results, especially the sanding. I really can't wait til I've moved into my new place and will have room to start making some armor. Bookmarking as a future reference project. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Drack: Thanks bro, always appreciate your comments!
liltyrant: Thanks! I really have to say, i've kind of been following your foam project and your foamwork is amazing! glad you found my thread :p
cabooseforlife: Thanks mate, really means a lot! Glad i could be an inspiration, just like so many others has been for me. The 405th is amazing in that way! :D Good luck with your project! :)

And on that note, Update time! :D

This will be a kind of small update too! Since school is starting again soon, and i'm kind of busy with other things in life, the updates won't really be as big, as i'm simply unable to do that much progress in a day ^^'
However, i did get some things done, some awesome things!
So basically, i searched everywhere for paint that would work for my project... Sadly, i live up in sweden in a pretty damn small town, so it's hard to find anything good... -.-'
I'd have to settle with some dark green plastic colour and mix it up with a few layers of metallic black... But i wont keep talking, i need to show some pics :D
imag0279o.jpg

So far, i've basically finished the shoulder pad paint, and am about 80% done with the helmet paint...
Again, what i did was add one layer of green, then add a thin layer of black metallic. I sandwitched that layer of metallic with another layer of green, and then i started adding battle damage. I did this by taking a REALLY hard brushed paintbrush (one that hasn't been cleaned properly and was now considered broken). I basically sprayed some silver spraypaint on the brush and started filling out all the edges that could be worn down in battle... I also added a couple of layers of metallic black on some of these areas to make it really scratchy looking!
I even used a bit of sanding paper to get kind of rough edges around some corners... i am pretty darn happy with the result!
I don't know if it shows in the pictures, but i think everything looks awesome!
I'll end this text heavy post on some pictures!
imag0280il.jpg

Shoulderpad, bad picture though :C
imag0282y.jpg

A pretty good picture of the helmet, with some nice lighting!
I haven't actually attached the visor yet, i will once ALL of the painting is done (the white stripe, logos and probably some sort of plastic layer on top, since it turned out kind of rough, damn low quality paint...)
imag0283ft.jpg

Don't know why, but in this lighting it looks kind of fuzzy? o_O Oh well, its just fine ^^'
Happy building 405th! :D

OOOOOOO looking pretty sweet man, I actually like the look of the helmet in the light lol. :)
Armor is turning out really righteous :)

OOOOOOO looking pretty sweet man, I actually like the look of the helmet in the light lol. :)
Armor is turning out really righteous :)
Thanks man! After a day of curing the paintjob looks a lot better! still a bit fuzzy, but the contrasts between black and green really came through now!

Anyway, i'll post a mini update on the helmet, since i actually made som progress!
So basically, i decided to paint the details on the helmet, and i did this with basic acrylic paints, with a brush, and not with a spraycan!
I think it turned out pretty nice... It makes the helmet come alive a bit... It helps in showing that i want weathering and not a bad paintjob xD
On to the pics :p
imag0289f.jpg

imag0288u.jpg

imag0290k.jpg

What i did today was the stripe across the top of the helmet, the unsc logos on the sides and the red dots on the back! It all turned out just fine, and i really like the weathering on the stripe if i may say so xD Again, the half-shotty htc camera doesn't really do it justice... maybe i'll post a video when i fix the lights...
Speaking of lights :D I split a whiteboard marker into four small pipes, painted them metallic black and basically made some cheap and cool sockets for my future LED:s in the helmet!
Now i just need to fix the wiring, put the LED:s there, sand some plastic and put it in front of the LED:s and the lights should work ^^'
All the helmet needs except for that is a permanent visor (since i haven't attached it yet xD), the small foam bits on the sides of the visor, which i will add in the end, and the little unsc logo on top of the cap part of the helmet. The thing with this logo is that it's going to have to be ridiculously tiny, so i don't know how i'll solve that :S
Anyway, i'll round this update with a picture of the full helmet so far, in the weird sunlight :p
imag0287qv.jpg

Happy building 405th! :D

I am really in admiration of your build, and love the foam skills, but I have to say that I think that if you would just put some bondo cover or long cure epoxy on your corners and flat parts, it would make your build epic vice good. I hate to say it man, but the foam finish under the paint just doesn't look right to me. I'm sorry if I come off as an ass, but I'm just trying to help.

I am really in admiration of your build, and love the foam skills, but I have to say that I think that if you would just put some bondo cover or long cure epoxy on your corners and flat parts, it would make your build epic vice good. I hate to say it man, but the foam finish under the paint just doesn't look right to me. I'm sorry if I come off as an ass, but I'm just trying to help.

Don't worry bro, its awesome with feedback, especially with tips on it ^^' right now, i'm looking into covering the whole thing with some sort of clear paint/varnish (don't know the english word) that would change the texture to be a bit more smooth... Don't worry, i will fix it in some way :)

awesome work man. If you come up with something to change the texture or fill the cracks let me know. I'm just starting my foam build and have been looking for a way to smooth things out a bit. What shoulder file did you use? thats the one I was looking for, did you use a pep file template?

for all the non believers, master chief is cool :p

seriously though, this is looking pretty darn good. i don't see many foam helmets, but of the ones i have seen, this one takes the cake. wow. i can't wait to see the whole suit painted up. and the soft tactical cases, perfect.

bondo cover or long cure epoxy on your corners and flat part

Not a good idea dude, most things like this just eat foam and do it damage. And Bondo isn't needed, if you have anything that needs filling or working you can use a soft rubbery body filler putty. That works well and never truly sets hard so it can still flex with the foam.

Also the clear paint/varnish you need is PlastiDip :)
That's what we all use on our foam work.

gliderx64: Took some digging, but i think this is the file ^^' http://www.gamefront.com/files/17240174/Ruze789-FJPARA-Shoulder-Unfold-by-lganderson.pdo/
Stiilus: Thanks bro, really appreciate it! There are some really nice foam helmets out there, you just gotta look hard enough! ;)
DBmike: I totally did use a sort of plsti-dip ish thing :O maybe it didn't work... I could always use it on the outside of the paint though, since it didn't really change the shape of the foam, just a bit of the texture... Otherwise, i think i have something else in mind ^^'

Oh, and sorry for the double post, but i felt like i had to do a little update! ^^'
Decided to start painting again, and this time, the shoulders needed to be done! However, i decided to drown them in plasti-dip first, and guess what?
It worked! The textures of the shoulder pieces are smooth as a pancake (?) and i'm really happy with the results! I guess you learn from your mistakes, right? :D
Anyway, i'll just get on with is and post some pics!
bildkopia2.jpg

bildkopia3.jpg

bildkopia4.jpg

Right shoulder! Glad i finally got to paint it, since i could attach the actual shoulder guard to the bicep piece and test fit it, which i havent been able to do at all o_O
(Side note, especially happy with the weathering in the armpit, which turned out fantastic! xD)
bildkopia6.jpg

The left shoulder piece! I may have gone a little bit nuts with the battle damage... might have to cover that up with a sniper shoulder or something xD It looks pretty cool though!

Everything looks really awesome with a bit of weathering, and now i found a new cool technique which added a whole lot of depth to the colouring! Basically, what i did was add a thin layer of metallic black in every little crack or crevace, which added some really nice shades to it! Might do the same thing on the helmet :D
I'll round it off with another test fit pic, this time with everything that has been painted/plasti-dipped so far! (chest and forearms still needs painting!)
bildkopia.jpg

Right on man!!! thanks for the link. And is there such a thing as too much battle damage? both of those shoulders look great man, keep it up

gliderx64: Glad i could help! i totally agree, it looks fantastic, if done right xD thx for the praise ^^'
DBmike: As usual, thanks mike!

And on that note, lets make a freacking HUGE update!
I haven't really done that much, but i have LOTS of pictures! So i'll just get on with it :)

Basically, i have finished my first armor piece! The piece is... (drumroll) The forearms!
imag0296g.jpg

This is one of the few actual wip pics i actually took during my build xD Basically, i decided to go with blue as my secondary colour! Basically, i've been using the green/blue combo for ages in reach, so it was kind of natural... I didn't know how it would work, so i felt like i just had to go with it and see where it went!
imag0298i.jpg

imag0297l.jpg

Luckily for me, it turned out fantastic! I hate to brag, but i am amazed at how good i managed to paint these xD
imag0299e.jpg

imag0301pd.jpg

I basically painted both forearms blue for a start, then i taped papers where the blue was supposed to be and added the green afterwards... From there, everything was painted by hand, with all spray colours! I add shades of black metallic paint around the edges and especially in inclines... This creates an artificial shadow. It's like in movies, if you want stuff to look realistic, make it overrealistic! Oh, and mixed out some blue/red acrylics with water and splattered it all over the front... i figured, if i'm gonna do battle damage, i'll go all the way! Can anyone guess what it is? ;)

imag0302r.jpg

img7620y.jpg

The tacpad got the same treatment, and i am happy to say, it looks fantastic! And it totally works just fine! Problem is, i'm gonna use gloves, so maybe i'll have to use a static display... i dont know :C

So basically, both arms are pretty much done ^^' Maybe i'll add some blue on the shoulder pieces later, i don't know... But right now, it looks pretty awesome :D
I'll end this post, as usual, with a picture: This time it's both arms, done!
imag0304h.jpg

Oh yeah, dont know if you noticed, but i added the "purple fluid" on the shoulderpad aswell ;) Looks like some pretty rough knife fights!
imag0305pd.jpg

As always, happy building 405th! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back