1st Build First ODST build

Hypercube

Hey all,

I'm Brian, just joined the 405th. I have been interested in propmaking since I was a kid and finally decided to get started by buying some 3d files and printing an ODST costume! I've always thought the ODST helmet was the coolest, and the potential to make it my own design really excites me.

I have printed the helmet so far but I am having a little difficulty smoothing it out. The minor layer lines are easy enough to fill in but there are some parts which are proving difficult with bumps and huge ridges. I was wondering what you all find effective, whether there are secrets I might not know... or whether I just have to keep applying Bondo and sanding til my arms no longer function.

Thanks for having me! This community seems awesome and I hope to meet up with some of you when my costume is done.

Hey all,

I'm Brian, just joined the 405th. I have been interested in propmaking since I was a kid and finally decided to get started by buying some 3d files and printing an ODST costume! I've always thought the ODST helmet was the coolest, and the potential to make it my own design really excites me.

I have printed the helmet so far but I am having a little difficulty smoothing it out. The minor layer lines are easy enough to fill in but there are some parts which are proving difficult with bumps and huge ridges. I was wondering what you all find effective, whether there are secrets I might not know... or whether I just have to keep applying Bondo and sanding til my arms no longer function.

Thanks for having me! This community seems awesome and I hope to meet up with some of you when my costume is done.
Hi Brian and welcome!!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, just started my first ODST print, done the helmet and most of the lower body so far.
I've started the sanding process and i personally use one of those handheld mouse sanders does a good majority of the leg work getting the harsher ridges and bumps out before going at it with a finer grit by hand! Does take some perseverance and time, but get there eventually.
Just have to be careful with an electric sander that you don't use it for too long in one place or you may start to melt the 3D print.

I do 80 grit with a palm sander
Bondo spot putty
Sand 80 grit
Sand 220
Filler primer & spot putty the larger gaps
Sand 220
Filler primer & spot putty
Sand 220
Repeat filler primer / spot putty and sanding until smooth

Tip: use small files to get in those hard to reach areas

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back