1st Build Winree’s First Build

CallumWinree

Today I started the process to print my first set of armor and wanted to use this thread to post updates, vent, and everything else! I want to look back at the end and see the progress I made.

Day 1:

Last week I bought an Ender three Pro in hopes that I can use it to learn the process of printing from the ground up. After an unfortunate sizing issue and failed print of one of the pieces for the helmet a coworker of mine (I have my printer at work since everyone there has theirs there and it’s a good community to get advice from) Offered to let me use his bambu to test the new size and show me the quality of that printer. After seeing it print what took me 12 hours in barely 3 and tenfold the quality decided to purchase my own today! it should be here next week so until then I’m going to start printing out props, weapons, and other fun things to keep learning everything I can about the hobby before I go on easy mode. Overall having two printers, I think will help me anyway. When I left work, I left a halo three magnum printing that will eventually be a functional (slide will be able able to be racked and have removable magazines with ammo) so hopefully tomorrow when I go back in, it’ll be a successful first of four prints for it. I will attach the first print of a few for the helmet fresh off!

Super excited to share my journey with everybody and can’t wait to see how this goes! I’ll also share a terrible but good inspiration picture from a character I designed in a game and modeled/textured with a buddy of mine completely from scratch. See y’all soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_14.png
    Screenshot_14.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Day 2:

The first print of the magnum was a success! I went into work this morning to check on it, pull it off and remove the supports as best as I could quickly, and start the next print that will run until tomorrow morning. Overall, super happy with the way this one turned out and it won’t take too much effort to remove the rest of the support and sand down the rest!

Attachments

• IMG_4461.mov
    6.7 MB
  • IMG_4460.mov
    15.5 MB
Day 6:

The Bambu was delivered! I also got all of the hardware in for the m6c. No pictures today but I have the entire base for my helmet printing right now and it’ll be done in the morning!
The Bambu is going to make your progress pic up so fast. Couldn’t believe how awesome the printer was, it’s an incredible machine.

The Bambu is going to make your progress pic up so fast. Couldn’t believe how awesome the printer was, it’s an incredible machine.
I’ve been using our work ones lately and I just had to get one for my own usage. It’s beautiful. I’ll have the helmet done literally tomorrow

They are nice, no doubt. But so freaking small. Personally, I'd never use it for armor, just prop parts. I can't deal with 8 prints for a single part and all the seaming. That's me. I tip my hat to the folks that have that patience because I know I don't.

Day 6:

The Bambu was delivered! I also got all of the hardware in for the m6c. No pictures today but I have the entire base for my helmet printing right now and it’ll be done in the morning!
I am currently printing pieces on a Bambu X1C and it is wonderful. The speed at which this printer handles can't really be emphasized enough and there really isn't the same type of maintenance that is required with other printers like the ender line. So far I've completed the majority of the torso for my armor with only minor flaws. I think you'll be really impressed by what this printer puts out.

If you are looking for a stronger more affordable PLA, I use duramic PLA+ on Amazon and just bump up the heat to 225. Prints beautifully on the Bambu.
I second this. The only thing to look out for here though is if you are using an AMS. This filament comes on a cardboard spool. You'll need to re-spool it to use it in an AMS if you are using one.

I second this. The only thing to look out for here though is if you are using an AMS. This filament comes on a cardboard spool. You'll need to re-spool it to use it in an AMS if you are using one.
Thanks! Yeah we have the x1 at work and that ones insane. I dont use an AMS since there was no need for one for what im doing for now but Ill look into that filament!

Day 7:

The helmet is fully printed!…. And it doesn’t fit together. The dome piece refuses to line up with the base piece so that’s fun. Not really sure how or why since I printed it all the same scale. I posted in discord under ask an expert so hoping it’s salvageable. In the meantime I have the full chest piece printing over night and have the wife changing it out while I’m at work tomorrow. Here’s to hoping

Attachments

• IMG_4519.jpeg
    IMG_4519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4521.jpeg
    IMG_4521.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4526.jpeg
    IMG_4526.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4531.mov
    12.7 MB
Bambu PLA!
Right on. I'm not sure what the properties of BBL's PLA is, but most companies offer a PLA+ filament. It's just PLA but with a little bit more of strength. (Impact resistance, strength, etc etc.)

Another thing to note is PLA's thermal resistance. It's usually 55-60C before it starts to soften, so long term storage might be a problem depending where you live. It's why I print with ASA. PETG was giving me so many problems and made me want to pull my hair out lol

Day 8:

It fits! The helmet dome printed beautifully in quarters and it all lined up! The chest is also looking so good. My faith and hope in myself has been restored and I can’t wait to keep chugging along. Tonight I have the center and side piece for the lower chest going. If I remember to get up in 6 hours I’ll start the other side of the lower chest. The helmet also fits! It’ll need padding but I have about 1 inch to play with.

Attachments

• IMG_4538.jpeg
    IMG_4538.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4539.jpeg
    IMG_4539.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back