Halo 3 Sniper Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some of those kids cameras at wally world for really low prices, gut it and put the important parts in the scope then use a pc of lexan to make a coverplate for the viewport.

(Edit top of the page baby ROFL.)

Privateer said:
There are some of those kids cameras at wally world for really low prices, gut it and put the important parts in the scope then use a pc of lexan to make a coverplate for the viewport.
(Edit top of the page baby ROFL.)

How about a set of kids "night vision" goggles. They've got a small video camera, a screen, and all the electronics to run both in one package.

Last edited by a moderator:
As great as these ideas are, I think everyone is forgetting how the H3 SR scope seems to be designed in the game; there isn't a typical lens on the front of the scope assembly, but rather a textured, opaque (as in not see-through) end cap.

One could deduce that means the front end of the scope is comprised of a series of sensors, which are in some way connected to the viewfinder at the rear of the scope that enables a 3D image to be shown on the display, allowing for the same end-to-end viewability of a standard scope without having the same physical set up (ie. clear front lens).

So technically, given how the in-game device is designed, putting a video camera inside the scope wouldn't exactly be accurate. That's just my two-cents on that, though. I've been told sometimes I put too much thought into such things. I'm also kinda known for being anal-retentive when it comes to accuracy, lol.

I know there is a process wherein one can apply an opaque coating to one side of the plastic, but would still be see-through on the other side. Perhaps Lee could employ this technique, which would allow him to use standard video camera components and still maintain an accurate look to that part of the SR.

Personally, I would agree with box_o_crayons' suggestion regarding the LEDs or EL sheet for the rear viewfinder/display on the scope in order to maintain a more cannon look, but however he decides to go about it, I'm sure it'll look pretty kewl :cool:

To me, the lens cover seems to be a honeycomb glare reducer. Here is a place that sells the material as a light fixture anti-glare cover.

M1016_P.jpg

You know what? I think you're right on the money with that; definately looks to be the same as what's on the front end of the SR scope. Good call on that, dude (y)

We've got some good, constructive brain-storming going on here now! Just what I like to see, fellas :lol:

With the honeycomb like that and a gold mirrored tinted lense behind it it would be a ringer for ingame looks and would let you mount any sort of optics or a pinhole camera.

Cheers!

Privateer said:
With the honeycomb like that and a gold mirrored tinted lense behind it it would be a ringer for ingame looks and would let you mount any sort of optics or a pinhole camera.

Cheers!

By George... I think he's got it! That would work perfectly, I think :D

Privateer said:

Cheers!

Brilliant!

Loess said:
To me, the lens cover seems to be a honeycomb glare reducer. Here is a place that sells the material as a light fixture anti-glare cover.

M1016_P.jpg

SPARTAN II said:
You know what? I think you're right on the money with that; definately looks to be the same as what's on the front end of the SR scope. Good call on that, dude (y)

We've got some good, constructive brain-storming going on here now! Just what I like to see, fellas :lol:

Privateer said:

Cheers!

SPARTAN II said:
By George... I think he's got it! That would work perfectly, I think :D

Great Ideas, Guys, but I don't have the budget to bye all that stuff. We will see when I get to the scope. I'm still working on the weapon at this point.

True enough; gotta get the rifle itself finished first, lol. Still... gives you a couple good ideas for that part of the build, if you can manage it (I'd personally be willing to throw some funds your way to help, if need be). I, as well as others, anxiously await seeing another update to this project :D heh

Man if the funds were there i just saw a wireless baby monitor thats a camera and a display at target. The cam is about the same size as a smallish webcam and the monitor is a small handheld unit bout like a old walkman radio. You could gut the display for the important parts and mount it in a helmet, talk about true to game you could link your helmet with your weapon optics.

Cheers!

This adds another chunk of time to the project, but there is a way you could build the anti-reflection device (Real-life name for the honeycomb) using cardstock or something more durable. Essentially you'd cut a large number of strips of the cardstock as wide as you want the ARD to be deep (So probably no more than 1/4" wide) and cut slits halfway across each strip at regular intervals. It's important the slits be exactly half the width of the strip and at precise regular intervals, or else the pattern isn't regular. Hopefully these pictures can demonstrate both the concept and the dangers of not being precise (Though it seems you don't need any warnings about that).

I just cut up a sheet of regular paper, not bothering to be precise in the least, to give you a sense of what I'm talking about.

P3240002.jpg

Here's one of the strips, with pen to highlight where I cut slits in it. You'll need a lot of these, and they'll need to be longer than the ARD is to be wide (I think about twice as long, but I'm not sure... That'll need some trial and error).

P3240004.jpg

Here I've started fitting two strips together. As you can see, strip 2 is upside-down relative to strip 1 so the flaps of 2 cover the spine of 1 and vice versa. There's also a pattern you'll need to set up: As you should be able to see, strip 2 comes above strip 1, then goes below it again the next slit, then goes beneath a third strip the next slit, angles back up, comes above 1 again, goes below... I think you get the idea.

P3240005.jpg

Here are four strips roughly thrown together. You can see how it's already forming the honeycombed shape you need,
and hopefully it's pretty clear how to expand this into a sheet that can cover your scope.

Like I said, it'll add a decent amount of time to the project, but I think it'd add another level of detail onto this already amazing project.

(PS: These devices are sold under the brand name of KillFlash in the United States for about $30 for a cheap one. This gets you the same effect for a very small fraction of the price!)

Thanks for the ideas. I have a piece of the material that Loess shoes in his message.

Here are some updates.
Sniper001.jpg

Sniper002.jpg

Sniper003.jpg

An ODST's favorite weapon is starting to become a reality.

Great work Lee, Can't wait to see more updates.

You Rock!!! (y)

-Pony (y) (y) (y)

Lee, that is spectacular!

Now I need to go make some time to level up my skill in woodworking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back