Halo Movie Back in Production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they need any extras......You know....the kind of extras that provide their own costumes and the like??

I honestly doubt they would come looking for fan-made costumes; it's just a matter of fact that the pros could build what they needed (on a hollywood budget) to the specs they're given, and have suits that can be reused in future movies (or bad scifi C movies.. Ala the Starship Troopers armor showing up in anything and everything over the years). Could a 405ther get lucky and end up as an extra? Sure, it's a matter of statistics and who's attempting to get jobs like that.

Take a good, hard look at the differences between H1-3 and ODST/Reach. The later games both had a strong emotional impact throughout the game that the first three struggled for. For a movie to have a broad audience, you've got to have visible faces. Think about Iron Man and how it makes a point to show Stark's face at pivotal points along the action scenes. The suit of armor itself is wicked cool, but it's emotionally cold. There's not a connection with the audience. Same with Master Chief. They would have to show his face if he was a main character in a movie, or at least enough of a face that it could show fear/anger/etc at important points.

Something with as epic a platform as Halo needs to have a trilogy. It would be cool if they started the first movie with marines and steadily introduce armor (ODST's, other human soldiers, etc; and introduce the fight against the Covenant), up through other Spartans, and finally have Chief busting in right at the end of the second movie, when everything's gone to crap and back for the characters we've been watching. If he's not the primary character - kinda like what WETA did - you get what you need for emotional attachment from the other characters, and Chief can be going full force like he does.

Sangheili811 said:
This might be just me, but for the Halo movie to be a success, I think it needs to have a REALLY realistic military feel. It needs to feel like Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan, not like Stargate or Star Wars. At least, that's what I want.

I have to disagree with you. Halo has always had a very bright and vibrant quality to it. Making it shades of grey and brown and using a shakey-cam is the last thing it needs. It just doesn't fit with the story. Spartans have energy shields that glow bright gold when they're hit. How do you make that gritty? And what about the Covenant's bright purple everything and glowing blue plasma? Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were kind of in between gritty and vibrant (Atlantis a bit more on the vibrant side), but Stargate Universe is trying to be all gritty and BSG-like and it doesn't work. Not many people genuinely like Universe, and it's mainly because they made the switch to gritty and dramatic that just doesn't work with what's been established over the last 13 years.

If Chief's in this movie, he better keep his helmet on, and Downes better voice him, same with Taylor and Cortana.

And if it's on Reach, I better see Nathan Fillion make an appearance as Buck. Better yet, I wanna see the entire cast from Firefly make cameo appearances (anybody got a good idea for who Summer Glau (River) should cameo as?).

Halo is all about the purple and the retarded rainbow Grunts with their little plasma pistols. The colors...THE COLORS!!

If you want colorblind stuff, go watch old 1950's movies.

I hard the scraped halo 3 movie and decided to go with either halo CE or one of the original novels. It will revive the original mark V and the ma5b along with introducing the ma5k so we can finally have a set sound for it.

I have to disagree with you. Halo has always had a very bright and vibrant quality to it. Making it shades of grey and brown and using a shakey-cam is the last thing it needs. It just doesn't fit with the story. Spartans have energy shields that glow bright gold when they're hit. How do you make that gritty? And what about the Covenant's bright purple everything and glowing blue plasma? Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis were kind of in between gritty and vibrant (Atlantis a bit more on the vibrant side), but Stargate Universe is trying to be all gritty and BSG-like and it doesn't work. Not many people genuinely like Universe, and it's mainly because they made the switch to gritty and dramatic that just doesn't work with what's been established over the last 13 years.

I see you're point, and I agree on some levels. The film should retain the awe felt at the alien installations, and use long sweeping shots to give a sense of scale and gradure. The clinical majesty of the forerunner installations shouldn't be lost. But when bullets start flying, that should change.
Look at We Are ODST. It had the gritty feel I'm talking about, but it didn't feel less Halo-ey. The color was down, the shots were jumpy, the armor was muddy and had a functional look to it, but IMO it's the best live action Halo we've seen.
The movie's technical consultants should make sure that Marines and ODSTs move on-screen in realistic squad movements, use proper hand signals, practice trigger and muzzle discipline, have their gear set up in a functional way, and basically behave the way trained soldiers would behave. This would make it all the more dramatic to see a SPARTAN jump on screen and throw tactics to the wind and kick covie butt.

So yes, there is a time to step back and see the wonder and "color" of the Halo universe, but during the firefights, it should revert to the gritty realism we saw in We Are ODST and Halo Landfall.

So yes, there is a time to step back and see the wonder and "color" of the Halo universe, but during the firefights, it should revert to the gritty realism we saw in We Are ODST and Halo Landfall.
They still had the glowing plasma rounds and managed to pull it off, right? It's been a while since I've seen those.

I have thought LONG and HARD about this for years and sat with my brother to discuss it so he could keep my fanboyism grounded. We came up with 3 scenarious to make it work.(all based on getting a good script/good directors)

1) remember that final fantasy movie Spirits Within? How long ago was that made....and remember the graphics!? BEAUTIFUL. If they did a full series of movies with that type of animation but even better it would do very well because it keeps the audience somewhat seperated from it being real to make it more adaptable to not show master chief etc. You could use all the same voice actors, and not have to worry about getting teenagers to play spartans for at least one movie. I don't know about you but I LOVE the cinematics of the games so why not raise the bar a bit?(i would say graphics like AVATAR...without the 3d)

2) Create a TV series ala Band of Brothers. So about ten 2hr episodes on FX or HBO. You use that same format of realism of war but also the focus on the characters and how they are affected. First episode covers the creation of them, second covers battles/harvest, third reach, etc etc

3)You create a trilogy or more focused on all the Spartans, red team, noble, everyone.... Not just MC. However you create a REASON why he can't take off the helmet for part of the time at least. Perhaps he was wounded in battle, perhaps the augmentations messed him up. ITs not his face an audience needs to connect to but his legend and what he means to everyone around him.

On the movie NEWS end of this...

Has Spielberg REALLY made a BAD movie YET? HE is the only guy alive right now with ENOUGH credentials to make the studio feel confident, anyone else no matter how good they may be...just don't. And that quite frankly is quite sad.

Guys like michael bay survive on 10yr olds that still buy action figures....thats it. Only movie I even remotely liked by him was The Island.

On the movie NEWS end of this...

Has Spielberg REALLY made a BAD movie YET? HE is the only guy alive right now with ENOUGH credentials to make the studio feel confident, anyone else no matter how good they may be...just don't. And that quite frankly is quite sad.

I'm all for spielberg, it's the script writer you'd have to worry about. and to be honest, i wouldn't care if they showed chief's face as a kid, but in the teen years and then when they get MJOLNIR stick to him in the helm or shots from behind his head... but yeah, if they get a good script then it's golden....

"one question... what if it fails?"

"... It won't..."

I dont know why everyone (any by everyone i mean there's not one forum I visit that doesnt have a thread bashing him.) bashes bay, he's great at what he does and he does explosions real well. I enjoy his movies for what they are. Do I enjoy Transformers and Armaggedon? Sure do, but I dont take them seriously towards transformers cannon. And it's gotten a lot of kids interested in it that probably wouldnt be. Is he my top choice for something so epic as Halo? No way. I'd really prefer someone like Peter Jackson to do Halo, but speilberg wouldnt be a bad choice either. James Cameron would be a good choice as well. Especially if he could combine Aliens with Avatar. Gritty with alot of eye popping colors thrown in.

I dont know why everyone (any by everyone i mean there's not one forum I visit that doesnt have a thread bashing him.) bashes bay, he's great at what he does and he does explosions real well. I enjoy his movies for what they are. Do I enjoy Transformers and Armaggedon? Sure do, but I dont take them seriously towards transformers cannon. And it's gotten a lot of kids interested in it that probably wouldnt be. Is he my top choice for something so epic as Halo? No way. I'd really prefer someone like Peter Jackson to do Halo, but speilberg wouldnt be a bad choice either. James Cameron would be a good choice as well. Especially if he could combine Aliens with Avatar. Gritty with alot of eye popping colors thrown in.

Transformers 1 was great for what it was. It was Independence Day + robots. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I didn't think I would. Transformers 2 is a symbol of everything Hollywood can do to jack up what should have been a good movie.

And if it's on Reach, I better see Nathan Fillion make an appearance as Buck. Better yet, I wanna see the entire cast from Firefly make cameo appearances (anybody got a good idea for who Summer Glau (River) should cameo as?).

Bwhaahaha, yes. Can we get Starbuck in there randomly too? xD

Seriously, in a spec scene i wrote with Blue team gearing up for a mission, you see other spartans in the background chilling out replacing parts or going over recon and I wrote in a Caboose look a like with the same sense of humor...it was one line of dialog to let you know it was him in the background. Why not right?

I'm all for spielberg, it's the script writer you'd have to worry about. and to be honest, i wouldn't care if they showed chief's face as a kid, but in the teen years and then when they get MJOLNIR stick to him in the helm or shots from behind his head... but yeah, if they get a good script then it's golden....

"one question... what if it fails?"

"... It won't..."

EXACTLY!. If Spielberg got the gig I would be happy but still sweating it out till I heard who wrote the script. I read Garland's and it was crap, but then again his was modeled after the game(almost level by level) which wasn't smart at all.(halo 1).

Was the old movie always intended to be an adaptation of the first game? I remember after the initial failure (but before it was considered fully dead) some guy released a bunch of awesome concept art for a Fall of Reach movie, but I can't remember if he did that for fun or if he was just hoping the movie would go in that direction. . .

I think a Fall of Reach movie be awesome. Base it off the book, but maybe throw in some stuff from the game and tie it all together.

^^^ I just did an "o **** " moment cuz um....your name is Garland...Alex Garland wrote one of the scripts.(his was about the first game...not reach)

Also since i can post a thread in this section now for whatever reason...i will post a link here and if people think its good enough I hope I get the honor of seeing it as its own thread. I made it pretty quickly(3hrs) but wanted to follow up on an idea someone had here. SO to hold you over...lol

ENJOY

Last edited by a moderator:
I would probably watch the movie when and if it makes it into movie theathers. Now if the 405th was ever asked to be involved with it, I would definatly try to make the auditions as well as watch it.

Finished up this fan tribute trailer. I spent probably 8hrs on it, mostly due to software glitches. I wanted to cover as much from each game/event of significance before the halo event. HOWEVER I wanted to cram as much in under 1:30min. I took inspiration from the Ultramarines Movie trailer #2(GREAT trailer by the way).

Here ya go guys, if this doesn't get adrenaline pumping i dont know what does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back