Halo Reach Elite Sculpt (Well Hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would image the skin texture of an elite would be smooth like a salamander, but not slimy if that makes sense. I don't get the sense there are scales or if there are, they are like micro scales that blend in and look smooth.

n00darb.jpg

just note i did not create this image lol. I don't see or get the hint of any scales either. It appears very leathery with just a ridged texture.

Thanks everyone for the great comments, means a lot. Thanks for continuing to view the progress.

n00darb.jpg

just note i did not create this image lol. I don't see or get the hint of any scales either. It appears very leathery with just a ridged texture.

I'm with you and EMAW09 on this, even my spec ops action figures skin looks like this (once you tear the armor off). I think im going to roll with the leathery look.

Thanks again for the input guys. It helps me a lot. Especially when you're staring at a sculpt for to long...lol.

Oh yeah @ Skylow, I've moved forward on your Beautiful cast, My cousin wants to rock it. He actually sanded it today and I fixed a hole I accidently made in it with a dremel. Just needs a pass of glaze and its ready for paint. I may end up giving it to my cousin as a gift. He loves it that much and hes a veteran (served in afgan). So, i think it will be a nice gift for him.

That's great to hear, I'd be really happy to have it end up in the hands of someone like that. If you do end up giving it to him give him my regards for his service.

Also great progress on your sculpt so far, it's coming together very well, if you do mold this when it's completed as a bust ( i know you must plan to ) i know there are a number of people who would be incredibly excited. I know find myself wanting one of your commando casts more and more.

This looks great!!, if you do cast it, I would be really keen to get my hands on a couple on them. I'm planing a wall with the different Elites and their helmets, sort of like a trophy wall lol.

Thanks guys for the great comments, I've been away today hardening the helm. Ill throw pics up in a while.Plan on doing more sculpting this week, hopefully finish it.

Thanks again for viewing!

-Tony

Sorry guys for the double post, but I thought this was important to people who may attempt to build Satchmo's amazing model.

The helmet I built will not work. I gave Satchmo the wrong numbers, so the scale was off. The one good thing that came out of this, was it allowed me to realize that my Elite sculpt was off. the problem with my sculpt is the width at the cheeks were perfect for an Elite with a length from nose to back of skull of 20". There was the problem. My length was aound 16.5" to 17" (i've changd it). I was referencing the action figure from head on, but sculpting at a different angle causing the shape to distort. If that makes sense. Anyways, I believe I have solved the problem with it and the length on my bust now for that area is 18" - 18.5" and the cheeks ere brought in about half an inch. So, I believe if I rescale the model by reducing it by 50mm depth wise, I'll be able to fit the helmet properly to the bust. This really sucks because I lost 3 days. Sorry guys.

-Tony

Man that sucks Tony. Atleast you found the problem though. Best of luck with the new helmet buddy.

Yeah, better to find the problem now when it's easier to fix and lose 3 days than later when it might make you lose a month. Still, no one likes to find out what they've been working towards is wrong and needs to be redone.

Man that sucks Tony. Atleast you found the problem though. Best of luck with the new helmet buddy.

Yeah, better to find the problem now when it's easier to fix and lose 3 days than later when it might make you lose a month. Still, no one likes to find out what they've been working towards is wrong and needs to be redone.

Thank you both, I definitely feel better now than I did last night. I tend to beat myself up over this kind of stuff. It helps to have a good community to come back to and vent. Much appreciated guys.

-Tony

Thank you both, I definitely feel better now than I did last night. I tend to beat myself up over this kind of stuff. It helps to have a good community to come back to and vent. Much appreciated guys.

-Tony

That's what we're here for buddy.

Too true. This is a great community for that. I wouldn't have the drive or confidence for my own builds if it weren't for the 405th.

Thanks again guys.

Well, enough of the pitty party fo me! Here is an update. I think it has abetter profile now.

Changes:
Made the skull come back further and sculpted the mandibles. Needs alot more work, but I think Im getting there and Im still on target.

Side profile (I think it looks much better longer like this)

IMG_20110822_072805.jpg

Front view (Need some work)

IMG_20110822_072825.jpg

Also, just realized from looking at the photo above, that I need to fix the eye placement(even them up).

I will be running up some new teeth. I think the previous test teeth were to long. I''l show pictures of the teeth later on and hopefully peeps can tell me if they look right. If so, I can go forward with teeth molds and order ups some Tooth Shade Acrylic for realistic teeth.

Anyways, thanks again guys for viewing.

-Tony

I don't have any experience with molding so I was just curious how this will be molded? I know with helmets people either do a glove mold or two piece mold and with smaller pieces they tend to do a box mold. It looks like those would be impossible because of the mandibles though. Will you remove the mandibles and do a mold of those separate then attach them to a cast of the main head?

That side profile looks wicked. I'm sure the front will look a lot less ninja turtlish after it gets a mouthful of fangs and a helmet.

Without the teeth the front view looks like a happy ninja turtle. (If you ignore the mandibles)
Yeah, there were some issues with the front, It still looks a little Ninja turtle ish, but the sculpting I did last night has given it a better front view. I didn’t think was worth posting, but its pretty close to finished except for details.

I don't have any experience with molding so I was just curious how this will be molded? I know with helmets people either do a glove mold or two piece mold and with smaller pieces they tend to do a box mold. It looks like those would be impossible because of the mandibles though. Will you remove the mandibles and do a mold of those separate then attach them to a cast of the main head?

That side profile looks wicked. I'm sure the front will look a lot less ninja turtlish after it gets a mouthful of fangs and a helmet.
Thanks man, Your absolutely right on the mold btw. I’m planning to do 2 sets of molds. Each set will contain 3 two part molds. 1 - 2part mold for the head & 2 – 2 Part molds for the mandibles (maybe 4-2part molds for the mandibles, still considering some stuff). The mandibles will come off the sculpt because they are attached to 4 rods. Once I finish the mandibles and then do the detail. I will use a wire tool to slice as close to the top of the mandibles as I can. I will then pull the completed mandibles off the sculpt and mold them separately. The main head of the mold will get a dividing line down the center and the mold at the end of the day should split right in half.

This looks amazing!!! Keep up the great work!!!
Thanks man, I appreciate the kind comments.

Thanks again for viewing my threads guys. I may not have an update for a tad bit because I just got the wires & LEDs for the Child’s Play Charity Helmet ….Thanks That Decade!!!...lol :)

Okay, it’s not much of an update, but I did find some time to mess with the face and tighten up the left side of the sculpt. I really need to get the sculpt finished. It is taking me longer than I thought. I’ll have off on Monday, so I’ll try to knock it out then.

IMG_20110824_233651.jpg

IMG_20110824_233707.jpg

IMG_20110824_233736.jpg

This is more of a question to the seasoned sculptors out there. What is the best way to make skin folds? Or, is there a good tutorial out there for it?

Well, thanks for viewing my thread. Hopefully I can have some more progress next week. As always, I appreciate your comments and constructive Criticisms.

Thanks,

-Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back