Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, what I can do is maybe get you some screenshots of your female torso layed over an image of the reference pics I have in blender. I tried to edit your model, but I'm still new to modeling and don't have the time to really work on that. I built the chestplate of yours and when I make it so the back of the chestplate touches my back, the front comes out so far that it looks like I have triple D's! XD LOL The width is great, but the depth is off. Plus the back is supposed to be more narrow than the male's. I'll just show you the pics. :p Hopefully I can stay awake when I get off work and get those pics.
Awesome, you can post them on here or pm me. Either way will work great! If you get them up tonight, I should be able to get it all edited up and reunfolded along with a foam template unfold by sometime tomorrow! :D Hopefully you won't run in to any more hiccups in your build!

Edit: actually even if you don't I can just jump on reach for a few minutes and get some better references than I have now. So if you want to sleep, feel free!

Sizing and proportions on this are even more complicated by the fact that one of the only real-world references (the Deliver Hope trailer), if you go watch the making-of documentary, Kat was played by a man!

That said, your best bet for a comparison will probably be right at the end of Winter Contingency, as they're all walking out of the communications room. Or later, when they're briefing Dr. Halsey for the first time. Can you go into free-camera mode (whatever it's called...) during the cinematics?

Sizing and proportions on this are even more complicated by the fact that one of the only real-world references (the Deliver Hope trailer), if you go watch the making-of documentary, Kat was played by a man!

That said, your best bet for a comparison will probably be right at the end of Winter Contingency, as they're all walking out of the communications room. Or later, when they're briefing Dr. Halsey for the first time. Can you go into free-camera mode (whatever it's called...) during the cinematics?

Nope. You can't do the camera mode during cinematics. I've tried because I was hoping to get some cool screenshot pics for a desktop pic. hehe

Anyway, got a bit of an update. No pics yet since the paint is still wet and I can't exactly wear it. :p

The belt is built! :D I've painted my black base coat already and that is currently drying as I type this. The model I used was made by my buddy, TheDigitalFix. I asked him a couple months before the release if he could model some of the female armor so I could hopefully dress up for the release. As far as I am concerned, his belt is the ONLY female belt available and is close to being accurate, but us chics could still use a newer, accurate model.

I edited his a bit since I don't have the time to try and model it myself. It came out decent and it fits me fine. I tried it on before I painted it. :p I was able to get it so the belt is angled and fits good around my hips. I also widened the sides since his original seemed a bit too thin and I didn't want some dinky belt. lol

Once the black dries, I'm gonna start painting it the final color and then I will post pics. I also gotta figure out how to make it so I can put the dang thing on and get it over my hips! XD I was thinking about using some thick, elastic bands and placing them where the side pieces meet the butt plate. I do have some straps and buckles, but I want to save those for strapping my armor in place and what not. I'll think of something though. :)

Actually you can take screenshots. I have myself an Jorge looking at a destroyed corvette as my desktop. Just playthrough the scene then go back through theater as you normally would.

Actually you can take screenshots. I have myself an Jorge looking at a destroyed corvette as my desktop. Just playthrough the scene then go back through theater as you normally would.

I KNOW you can take screenshots. duh. I wanted to take landscape pictures that do NOT show the characters. Can't do that during the cinematics.

Nope. You can't do the camera mode during cinematics. I've tried because I was hoping to get some cool screenshot pics for a desktop pic. hehe

Anyway, got a bit of an update. No pics yet since the paint is still wet and I can't exactly wear it. :p

The belt is built! :D I've painted my black base coat already and that is currently drying as I type this. The model I used was made by my buddy, TheDigitalFix. I asked him a couple months before the release if he could model some of the female armor so I could hopefully dress up for the release. As far as I am concerned, his belt is the ONLY female belt available and is close to being accurate, but us chics could still use a newer, accurate model.

I edited his a bit since I don't have the time to try and model it myself. It came out decent and it fits me fine. I tried it on before I painted it. :p I was able to get it so the belt is angled and fits good around my hips. I also widened the sides since his original seemed a bit too thin and I didn't want some dinky belt. lol

Once the black dries, I'm gonna start painting it the final color and then I will post pics. I also gotta figure out how to make it so I can put the dang thing on and get it over my hips! XD I was thinking about using some thick, elastic bands and placing them where the side pieces meet the butt plate. I do have some straps and buckles, but I want to save those for strapping my armor in place and what not. I'll think of something though. :)

Here are some screen caps of Kats armor for you from the cut scenes
th_FemaleArmor.jpgth_FemaleCod.jpgth_FemaleCod2.jpgth_FemaleCod3.jpgth_FemaleCod4.jpgth_FemaleCod7.jpgth_FemaleCod8.jpg

Okay, here are some of the screenshot references I took from in game during the Sword Base level. I always like that level to go and get pics of Kat since she is right there at the begining. :p

2vudagz.jpg

2q0kml0.jpg

6z0qr8.jpg

33dlhcx.jpg

Gah! Another double post. Eh, who cares. My thread. :p haha

Anyhoo, I come bearing updates. Although, it's not of the belt, but it is of the forearm that is almost done being built.

It's uuuuhhhhh..................lookin' a tad too small. :\

s3zo6w.jpg

2e3oa5v.jpg

It fits great and I have no problems getting it on, but since it is a little tighter on my forearm, it makes my bicep piece look a bit large and it just looks funny all together. Maybe I should redo it? :\

Gah! Another double post. Eh, who cares. My thread. :p haha

Anyhoo, I come bearing updates. Although, it's not of the belt, but it is of the forearm that is almost done being built.

It's uuuuhhhhh..................lookin' a tad too small. :\

s3zo6w.jpg

2e3oa5v.jpg

It fits great and I have no problems getting it on, but since it is a little tighter on my forearm, it makes my bicep piece look a bit large and it just looks funny all together. Maybe I should redo it? :\

What's it look like with the bicep on? Might be easier to judge if we can see a comparison.

I think it looks okay, with a handplate on it and if you would place the gaunlet itself more towards your elbow.

Seems to be a good size because you don't want either so big it makes the parts of your arm not covered in armor look flimsy by comparison. judging by the reference pic of Kat you put up Id say the bottom part of the bicep is roughly close to the same width as the part of the forearm closest to the elbow. though id say length wise you may be just a bit off. but that might be me not counting the fact you havent pulled your forearm back to reveal some of your wrist in the pic.

Well if the width seems fine for the forearm, even though it is a bit snug, I could just use a strip of foam and add a sort of trim around the wrist area of the forearm and that may help to give it a little more length.

But I still feel that the darn thing is too narrow. Hmmmm...........:\

So, i got on reach and used your suggestion of Oni: Sword Base to get some screen shots. I found out that if you wait till the gate just before the wraiths, if you dont go right to it, Kat goes up to it and stands up straight with her gun at ease, and I got some really good front, side, and back shots of her torso armor. I threw them into sketchup and used the parallel view along with x-ray to line up the screen shots with my armor and found this.
Untitled-6.png

I'd say that if anything, that its not long enough, and the back is actually too small rather than not small enough. I just wanted to get everyones thoughts on this before I go trying to change it all up. :)
Here's the 2 background pictures used for those comparisons:
th_reach_17436626_Full.jpgth_reach_17436630_Full.jpg

Also, i wanted to show that in the picture of the side of her, she doesnt have the back of her collar pulled all the way up against her neck, its slid back a little bit.

So the torso that you have lined up with the pics is the one you already made? Hmmm.........I might need to have it edited so that it fits me or something. I personally feel that the back could still use some editing though. You can even see from the side view that the chestplate could use a few edits here and there. I would say edit the forementioned areas and I might have to find a way to tweak it in blender so that it fits tighter to my body. I'm pretty small, standing at 5'4" and weighing only about 115 lbs.

Maybe I should show you what the chestplate I built looks like on me. Since I won't be wearing anything thick underneath, I have TONS of extra space and I look like a "bobble head" in the chest area with that thing! lol

EDIT:
Okay, so I went in blender and loaded the torso model and placed it over a side view image of myself. If you look through the arm hole, You are able to see where my back is at and you can see how much extra space I have. This is the BIG issue I am having right now. The width and height seem to be spot on, but the depth is just too much. I don't know what to do at this point. :(

16j0e51.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So the torso that you have lined up with the pics is the one you already made? Hmmm.........I might need to have it edited so that it fits me or something. I personally feel that the back could still use some editing though. You can even see from the side view that the chestplate could use a few edits here and there. I would say edit the forementioned areas and I might have to find a way to tweak it in blender so that it fits tighter to my body. I'm pretty small, standing at 5'4" and weighing only about 115 lbs.

Maybe I should show you what the chestplate I built looks like on me. Since I won't be wearing anything thick underneath, I have TONS of extra space and I look like a "bobble head" in the chest area with that thing! lol

EDIT:
Okay, so I went in blender and loaded the torso model and placed it over a side view image of myself. If you look through the arm hole, You are able to see where my back is at and you can see how much extra space I have. This is the BIG issue I am having right now. The width and height seem to be spot on, but the depth is just too much. I don't know what to do at this point. :(

THAT PIC OF YOU IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED! :D Its the one thing i could never "see" in game so I didnt know how it would fit. Its now my bed time but, I'm off work again tonight and I can edit it right up for you after I wake up! I can probably have it done and unfolded by some time tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back