Halo Reach Kat - Foam Armor *FINISHED* 10/31/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOOKS GREAT!! i am working with foam as well but im doing my own style to the armor. Makings it look more skeletal and light weight so more scout like. would love to hear your opinion on it. and again your stuff is very impressive you should be very proud!
armor3.jpg
armor2.jpg
armor1.jpg

Vinemous, that looks neat and all, but please DO NOT hijack another person's project thread by posting pics of your work. :\ If you want to share your project, it's best to make your OWN thread. ;)

Moving on................

WARNING!!!!! PIC HEAVY!!!!! :p

I finished the helmet!

I hate, hate, HATE the visor!!! Since it is NOT a reflective visor, you can totally see my face. Just because the helmet is dark on the inside does NOT help to hide my face!!! :( *cry* There isn't anything I can do to totally conceal my face which really sucks, but there isn't anything I can do at this point.

The funny thing is, I've been working on this all day and I finished it at 1:17am! XD LOL In order to make the helmet closer to my face and neck, I added some fabric around the bottom. I WAS going to use craft foam, but I think the fabric works better. It has some give so I can still get my head in and out with no problems and no worries of having it rip. :)

Here are some pics showing the fabric underneath:

View from back:
210ary9.jpg

View from side:
2vs5bn4.jpg

View showing more underneath:
pkwo.jpg

RANDOM FACT: I used to do aggressive inline so I had a helmet that I didn't really have any use for. After I got into Halo armor building, I decided to keep the helmet thinking I could later use the padding for a Halo helmet............I was right! It finally came in handy! :D

I was able to use some of the padding for the inside of the helmet. I only used a piece to wrap around the inside so the helmet felt more secure on my head. I glued some scrap pieces of foam to the top, inside of the helmet. The piece that wraps around the inside of the helmet shows just how big around my head is. There is about an inch and a half of space between the cushion and the helmet itself. My head is small! My husbands 12 year old nephew has a head BIGGER than mine! XD Anyway.....here is a pic of the cushion inside:

augh1z.jpg

That pic was also taken before I added the fabric around the bottom. :p
Also, yeah, I KNOW those screws look dangerous the way they are now since the foam pieces I have TEMPORARILY covering the sharp points of the screws rest directly on my temples, I do plan on cutting the screws shorter, but since my husband is working at the time of this, I need to wait for him to get home to find a tool that will cut the screws and then I will use the small foam pieces to cover the ends. :)

Finished pic!
24xnaq9.jpg

Now some pics of me wearing it!

This is a pic WITHOUT the flash:
miz0ag.jpg

Even without the flash you can still slightly see my face. When I went to look in the bathroom mirror, you can clearly see my face. Light easily passes through the visor.

And here is one WITH the flash:
2ccnomd.jpg

I HATE that visor!!!! XD :(

Could be something to be done on the visor, but I can't really think that well right now...I'm still focused on the graphic on that hoodie you're wearing in that last pic...

looking great girl, as far as the flash goes thats why iridium visors are better, i do have an idea you can try if you want to know what it is send me a pm, i'd rather not say in here till i try it out, or get some1 else to

Buy a can of night shades at OReillys, or another auto store. Its a spray can of black tint for tail lights I use it on mine and you cant see in except in really bright light. Ill post links to a couple videos of how my visors look and a picture of the can to look for.Also, I use turtle wax on my visors, its makes them really shiny and reflective.

I havent read every post in this thread, so... if, once again, I am giving you advice on something youre already using... IGNORE THIS!
lol

spray-night-shades-purple-can-200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't look at it as you have a crappy visor. Look at it as you have an awesome helmet with room for a few upgrades. At least you'll be able to wear your costume soon. I like the way your helmet came together and the padding around the neck area too. Nicely done.:)

Your helm turned out absolutely fantastic! Congrats!

As for your face showing up behind the visor... I could not help but notice that your not wearing a "ninja hood" Try wearing a black hood under the helm. Then see how it looks.

To be honest, even a mirrored motorcycle helm has the same problem (just less noticeable). Wearing a black hood helps to reduce the light being reflected back out of the visor. Give it a quick try with flash and with out flash.

Cheers!

the helmet is fantastic, and like the others before, i'm sorry to hear about the visor, if only you could get any other visor to put inside, any of the Motorcycle helmet, it will not resolve???

The helm is awesome girl. Don't stress the visor. Even the Legacy Kat helm was slightly transparent. Besides, with all the other great work you've done, no one is even gonna care about the visor. They will be too stoked to see the rest of the suit. Can't wait to see pics of you suited up.

Kudos Chica!
-Cagle

i found this on another thread, may you could take a look, it means, if you didn't have it yet^^, http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/16910-Tutorial-Make-amp-Paint-Your-Own-See-through-Visor

I saw that a long time ago. Someone gave me another idea and I am gonna try that IF I can get the money in time! XD

Anyway, I TOTALLY forgot that I still needed my handplates! XD Thank god I have all kinds of craft foam. :p hehe I printed out my templates last night and started cutting everything out. I managed to glue together one handplate before work and get on a base layer of paint.

m9lptx.jpg

fld7ae.jpg

27wskes.jpg

Gonna do some more work when I get off work i the morning, but for now, I gotta start getting ready! XD Starting to run out of time! D:

UPDATE:

Just a quick one. No pics though. I'm about to go to bed so I don't have time to take pics and post, but here ya go:

Since I wanted to redo the right arm since I needed a better way for it to work right, I started doing that and actually got it to work MUCH better than the first one. I'm happy with how it's turning out! :D

Got both handplates finished! :D Although the 2nd one turned out better so I gotta add a little more damage to the other one. XD

The biggest thing I am bummed about is that nobody is gonna get to see me dressed up on Halo-ween........not even ME! :( I can't put the chestplate on by myself. It's a 2 person job and my husband will be at work so I won't be able to put my costume on. :(

I can get mine on by myself, but I cant get it it off by myself. So I can sympathize with you on this one.

UPDATE:The biggest thing I am bummed about is that nobody is gonna get to see me dressed up on Halo-ween........not even ME! :( I can't put the chestplate on by myself. It's a 2 person job and my husband will be at work so I won't be able to put my costume on. :(

That does suck. But its good that your not trying to force it. I made the mistake last night after our party of trying to take mine off by myself and cracked a couple places that now I need to fix. Will you get a chance to make any Con's coming up? If not then you at least have to put it on for a few pictures of you screwing around doing random things. I think its pretty much tradition around here to have at least of few pics of Spartans doing everyday things and the hilarious looks we draw from people watching. :) Keep it up girl you have almost finished.

Sorry to hear that you can't do a Halloween night. But We have to get at least 1 pic all suited up just to see what it looks like all together. :cool Till then stay classy.

Well, I am in super bummed world. I was so close to being able to show off my costume, but the person who was gonna help had to be to work and his mom didnt' get home until 10 minutes before he had to start his shift. My costume is finished for the most part, but I can't get the thing on.

I tried to put it on by myself, ripped it and I am just totally upset. Now this thing is gonna sit around my house, taking up space. I don't know when I will ever have another opportunity to wear it. :( I can't get this thing on by myself!!

Everything you made look fantastic but so sad that you can't put it on by your self. Do you know that took me 2 days to get the strapping system on my suit so I can put that on by myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back