Halo: The Series Season 2 Discussion Thread

Wait... how does Chief realize that the Covenant are on reach? Was it just because Cobalt team went to Visegrad? Like "Spartans would only be deployed to a relay station after my mission report if the Brass thought the Covenant were attacking there. IE the Covenant are on Reach."? Because I don't remember a scene in episode 2 that laid out the logic train for Chief's declaration at the end of episode.

Wait... how does Chief realize that the Covenant are on reach? Was it just because Cobalt team went to Visegrad? Like "Spartans would only be deployed to a relay station after my mission report if the Brass thought the Covenant were attacking there. IE the Covenant are on Reach."? Because I don't remember a scene in episode 2 that laid out the logic train for Chief's declaration at the end of episode.
I think his thought process was something like this: Covenant attacks comms before glassing --> Cobalt doesn't return from a mission --> Cobalt went to a comms station on Reach --> The Covenant are on Reach.
I agree though, it wasn't all that clear.

S02E05- wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. About what you would expect for an in between setup/filler episode. At least it wasn't a Kwan only episode. I'm starting to feel like they're speeding up the Chief's journey to discover what it means to be human. Instead of waiting till after the war it seems like he's starting to try and figure it out and overcome his years of Spartan training that taught to shove all that away.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. It turns out I like Kwan when she's not taking screen time away from Chief and when she gets important plot developments, and even though this Arbiter isn't Thel, I'm interested to see where that plotline goes. I am confused about one thing, at what point did Kessler get captured? Did I miss something in Episode 3 or this one?

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. It turns out I like Kwan when she's not taking screen time away from Chief and when she gets important plot developments, and even though this Arbiter isn't Thel, I'm interested to see where that plotline goes. I am confused about one thing, at what point did Kessler get captured? Did I miss something in Episode 3 or this one?
Kwan had to put Kessler on a different transport to get him safely out of the way, while she was being Mrs. Sorren's body guard. So he was just another refugee child without parents. Then we learn it was UNSC that took him. But we never see the abduction: The audience is just as surprised and caught off guard as his parents.

Not a spoiler. A bit of behind the scenes. Taking a couple frames of footage before its processed for air, you can see the barrel extension with practical light when the actor pulls the trigger. No doubt this gives a SFX point. I'm guessing they digitally remove the barrel extension in all the other frames, then use the light up as the muzzle flash matching barrel angle and eye-line etc.
1709250375573.png

S2E06

Ugh. I am tired of the peak cliffhangerssssssssssss. That being said, I kinda wish Chief put up a little bit of a fight when Kai was mopping the floor with him, but I guess I understand why he didn't.

Well...
He got beat up in s01e07 of a 9 episode season.
Now he gets beat up in s02e06 of a 8 episode season.
I guess that's the pattern: 117 gets his butt kicked 2 before the finale each season.

But... In the s1 fight its Kai that comes to his rescue. Now its her dishing out the pain. Shows the distance her character has gone. But I'm not sure I buy it. It feels off considering she was the one most questioning everything after removing her pellet. Now that she's got her full emotions and facilities she's a good obedient drone following orders even if it means nearly killing the man she most cared for for 20 years? Just hours after she should be so elated to learn he isn't dead. That just felt off.
Or maybe it shows how the emotionally inexperienced are easily pulled into the cult of ONI if the leader is charismatic enough.

Cliffhangers
I miss that (1979) show. So campy. But that's a totally different chat.

A few brief thoughts:
It makes sense that they made Spartan-IIIs essentially the same role as the IVs, but why is Perez one? She was on a comms team and has showed practically no battle prowess.
Not a fan of revenge Chief but it makes sense for this version of the show.
I’d guess we’ll get Spartan-III teams fighting on Reach next episode, even though that’s a stupidly fast turnaround from training to battle.
I liked seeing Kai’s reaction to Reach during the training sim.
One thing I think the series is missing is just how badly humanity is on the back foot against the Covenant.
According to subtitles that hooded priest Elite was named Uto ‘MDAMA, I don’t know how Covenant names work but that’s interesting.
Bit of a jump from “Chief is alive” to “Chief defected to the Covenant.”
Interesting how Cortana is working with Makee and how her connection to the artifacts is gone.
That Kai vs. John fight was brutal, dang.
We really needed Cortana back with Chief, that’s the best part of Halo and exactly what we needed here in my opinion.
Ackerson is definitely manipulating the simulation because the IIIs aren’t supposed to make it out of the ships, they’re suicide troopers.
Interested to see this black ops team Ackerson deployed.
Finally, more Miranda.
What is this Arbiter’s shame?
Come on, it cut to commercial and I thought it had a few more minutes but it was just credits.

Just watched the trailer for s02e07. So when I say 'spoiler', I mean it here.

declass-S02E06_00_13_07-00043.png

Though nothing we didn't all expect. Also... The s02e06 Halo: Declassified did a huge thing on the S-III armor and are calling them "Spartan 3's"Also some nice behind the scenes with the camera rigs. That shot doesn't really spoil anything: Just how they shot someone flying horizontally.
declass-S02E06_00_11_17-00042.png

Finally caught up. Life kept me away from TV for a while. I have no thoughts on ep5.
Too busy morning the loss of vannik.

I also don't love revenge chief but I have never really liked the whole chief vs ONI thing. I do see that losing the other Spartans can set up the chief with cortana and maybe a loyal UNSC ship searching for the Halo (which could be interpreted as how combat evolved started). So that's exciting- albeit sad to lose those other characters. I do think that would show some depth to the show tho. Kinda like how GoT killed main characters a lot to keep the story moving.

Really not a fan of makee being alive still tho maybe shes some kind of clone or something cause she's lost her gift. I just don't like her character much and feel like the show could have basically done the same story without her.

I know I wasn't the only one but I totally called the Kai being evac'd and kept in the dark about Reach and then being pissed when she finds out. And I like the idea of her training the spartan 3s but I wish she were displaying a little more leadership and actually helping them get better. I like the idea of the 3s being kinda sucky until they learn to work together, but it is kind of a trope. Also I like the CPL Perez chick. She's cool and I think she could have a good arc where she gains some combat prowess and leadership skills. She's at least a decent tactical thinker and has shown some leadership ability in the sims.

I thought the Kia vs chief fight was extremely well done. He knew he couldn't beat her and he wagered he could get through to her because of their history. I buy her "following orders" thing because she totally drank the Ackerson kool-aid from day one of meeting him, but you could definitely tell that it was killing her to follow those orders. It took him ordering her to beat the hell out of her oldest friend to make her see him for who he is. I thought that scene was poignant and emotional as hell.

I was also super glad to see Miranda again. And I am curious about what's going on with Soren at Thermopolis. Could be some cool insight into spartan training or at least a cool fight scene.

ThreeEvening158 I think the arbiters shame is a reference to the position of arbiter in general. As I recall from the games the arbiter is a position appointed to a sangehli warrior who has failed some great mission (brought shame to themselves) and it's a chance for them to redeem themselves through self sacrifice in the name of the great journey. They are sent on critical suicidal missions so they can die as faithful heros to the cause.

Finally caught up. Life kept me away from TV for a while. I have no thoughts on ep5.
Too busy morning the loss of vannik.

I also don't love revenge chief but I have never really liked the whole chief vs ONI thing. I do see that losing the other Spartans can set up the chief with cortana and maybe a loyal UNSC ship searching for the Halo (which could be interpreted as how combat evolved started). So that's exciting- albeit sad to lose those other characters. I do think that would show some depth to the show tho. Kinda like how GoT killed main characters a lot to keep the story moving.

Really not a fan of makee being alive still tho maybe shes some kind of clone or something cause she's lost her gift. I just don't like her character much and feel like the show could have basically done the same story without her.

I know I wasn't the only one but I totally called the Kai being evac'd and kept in the dark about Reach and then being pissed when she finds out. And I like the idea of her training the spartan 3s but I wish she were displaying a little more leadership and actually helping them get better. I like the idea of the 3s being kinda sucky until they learn to work together, but it is kind of a trope. Also I like the CPL Perez chick. She's cool and I think she could have a good arc where she gains some combat prowess and leadership skills. She's at least a decent tactical thinker and has shown some leadership ability in the sims.

I thought the Kia vs chief fight was extremely well done. He knew he couldn't beat her and he wagered he could get through to her because of their history. I buy her "following orders" thing because she totally drank the Ackerson kool-aid from day one of meeting him, but you could definitely tell that it was killing her to follow those orders. It took him ordering her to beat the hell out of her oldest friend to make her see him for who he is. I thought that scene was poignant and emotional as hell.

I was also super glad to see Miranda again. And I am curious about what's going on with Soren at Thermopolis. Could be some cool insight into spartan training or at least a cool fight scene.

ThreeEvening158 I think the arbiters shame is a reference to the position of arbiter in general. As I recall from the games the arbiter is a position appointed to a sangehli warrior who has failed some great mission (brought shame to themselves) and it's a chance for them to redeem themselves through self sacrifice in the name of the great journey. They are sent on critical suicidal missions so they can die as faithful heros to the cause.
Oh, that's a fun idea!
I'd totally be on board a Halo story where it is the chief and a rag-tag team of Halsey, the Keyes's, Cortana, an Engineer, and other UNSC personal on a stolen Pillar of Autumn to go stop the Covenant from getting to the Ring first!

@ThreeEvening158 I think the arbiters shame is a reference to the position of arbiter in general. As I recall from the games the arbiter is a position appointed to a sangehli warrior who has failed some great mission (brought shame to themselves) and it's a chance for them to redeem themselves through self sacrifice in the name of the great journey. They are sent on critical suicidal missions so they can die as faithful heros to the cause.
Yeah, I was just wondering what his was specifically.
I'd totally be on board a Halo story where it is the chief and a rag-tag team of Halsey, the Keyes's, Cortana, an Engineer, and other UNSC personal on a stolen Pillar of Autumn to go stop the Covenant from getting to the Ring first!
I have a feeling something like this is where they're heading as well, maybe Chief, Cortana, Miranda, Halsey and some Spartan-IIIs on the Autumn would be a good way to keep the story tight and have more room to tell the Covenant story.

So, if the Halopedia information is accurate, and honestly it usually is pretty spot on,
Var Gatanai was made the Arbiter after the Battle of Raas Kkhotskha and the failure to prevent Chief from getting The Keystone at the End of Season 1, so, the failure to stop Chief would be his "Shame." It is interesting that he does not brand himself with The Mark of Shame until after his choice to not follow orders and not obey the Hierarchs. So, a failure or a "Shame" might be needed to be made The Arbiter in the Silver Timeline, but, the Mark of Shame is not. I'm sure we'll get a Waypoint Article or SIlver Debrief that breaks it down more.

I fraking hate these short streaming seasons. Just as you get invested its over. Then... what... 2 more years before the next season?
We have this Thursday and next. That's it.
1710222642644.png

I want to do a quick write up about expressing why the writing of the show comes off as immature - the burden laying on whoever is making the final call, be it a head writer or a studio exec - and I think this pair of scenes from S2 E6 really puts that immaturity on display. (And it has nothing to do with canon or helmets).

Youtube video from Paramount Plus, it's the opening two scenes from the episode.

The Intended Goal
The first scene does the old standby of jumping us right into the middle of the story with a cool action sequence. We can see the new Spartans in action, and it's established that the mission is very desperate and straight forward: get on the ship, fight to some important location, use the device at all cost. We also learn that Perez and her commanding officer are not getting along, and that Perez is a bit bullheaded. All good things. Nothing groundbreaking, but not everything should be. Meat and potatoes make a satisfying meal.

The second scene reveals the twist, it's a simulation and everyone is safe. Which narratively is positive and negative. Positive, because one of our main characters didn't suddenly bite it in a cold open. It is negative because it just reversed all the drama that just unfolded and certain characters sacrifices' no longer matter; therefore you have to make it all matter again later - either as character development or subvert expectations that where just laid down. The scene goes on to do some explaining: Covenant ships are better but have weakness and here they are listed out. It ends with Kai passing on some wisdom to Perez.

The Immaturity
Taken in isolation, both of the scenes are fine. However, it is when you structure them like we see in the clip that issues arise. The most overt being, why in the world is a Special Operations team being told key pieces of their mission after their mission? Perez clearly knew how to use the Spike, so why is Kai just now explaining the Spike and the shields? The framing doesn't suggest that this debriefing is a refresher on the mission but a full explanation as to why the team just did what they did. On a meta level, it makes the previous action scene, which made narrative sense - save the day, spike the machine at all cost - now feel unconfident in what it showed us and that we clearly didn't understand. Now the narrative is taking precious moments to explain itself instead of doing more interesting things.

A Solution
This very easily could have been a micro heist sequence. It had the building blocks - here is the objective, here are the obstacles, here is how we get around them, and sudden twist. But the order is backwards. Instead, (and I'm not doing anything crazy, but meat and potatoes are filling) switch back and forth between the scenes. Start mid action then cut back to the briefing once the plasma starts flying, explaining why small and agile is better... at increasing survivability. Keep doing this until the end of the action sequence. Once, Perez wakes up back in the briefing room Kia reveals that the team has failed its Final Test and will suffer the consequences - idk, maybe tooth brushing toilets. Perez is ticked because there hasn't been an additional Elite in the bridge during any other simulation run. Kai passes her wisdom: War is random and unfair, be prepared.

In this structure, we remove any immersion breaking clunkiness and maintain all the positives of the original: a daring mission plus worlding building, setting the expectation - and therefore opening up how it will be subverted - for how the real mission is going to go, the relationship/attitude of Perez, and the UNSC attitude toward the value of the Spartan IIIs. Also, it keeps energy up for a longer period, stretching out the action over the top of the world building, which makes the info of the world building impactful at that very moment.

And that to me is why the shows writing is meh and a microcosm of the show's real issue. Adaptations change things all time and are still loved and successful - look at Dune 2 - but the narrative fundamentals still need to be strong.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back