"Help!" for: Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks thatdecade, I have no idea of the component ratings as they were 'salavge' from a 3 led/3 x AAA lamp. After re-reading this thread again, I decided that I would just remove the 3rd led in the (perhaps wrong?) notion that I have increased the power to the remaining led's by only 33.3% so should be ok. They light up fine and are now in the helmet.

Thanks thatdecade, I have no idea of the component ratings as they were 'salavge' from a 3 led/3 x AAA lamp. After re-reading this thread again, I decided that I would just remove the 3rd led in the (perhaps wrong?) notion that I have increased the power to the remaining led's by only 33.3% so should be ok. They light up fine and are now in the helmet.

Keep in mind that the main enemy of any LED is heat. If they're getting too hot, you might literally be able to watch them fade away permanently, even though they seem to be working in a short test.

Keep in mind that the main enemy of any LED is heat. If they're getting too hot, you might literally be able to watch them fade away permanently, even though they seem to be working in a short test.

Cheers for the tip ventrue, will run a test for a couple of hours before I fix them properly.

Alright guys, got another question. I was doing some reading about heads up displays, and read about one that used a small lcd, a mirror, and then a fresnel lens to focus the image farther out in front of you. Do you think a setup like that would work in a helmet? And what would you use to run the lcd? Or more importantly, what would you display on your hud? Something actually useful lol.

I always thought it would be awesome to have google maps on a HUD, but I have no idea on the feasibility of that. It just sounds cool lol. I had thought of somehow using my Droid, but it would be hard to use it if its stuffed in my helmet. Not to mention you can't use it with gloves on lol. But it has gps, google maps, and the potential for tons of other useful apps. But I imagine a laptop in your backplate, or some arduino board or something would probably give you more options or customizable options.

Wiring Sizes (in American Wire Gauge [AWG]) and Amperage

I thought this might be helpful. The following chart is a guideline of ampacity or copper wire current carrying capacity following the Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas for American Wire Gauge. Basically, if your amperage (number on the right) is less than the number on the right, use the left number for your wire size. this will help you decide what size wire to use for the circuit you are making without creating too much resistance or heat. This is just a guideline. I only listed up to #12 AWG.

Size Amperage
22 ----- 0.92
21 ----- 1.2
20 ----- 1.5
19 ----- 1.8
18 ----- 2.3
17 ----- 2.9
16 ----- 3.7
15 ----- 4.7
14 ----- 5.9
13 ----- 7.4
12 ----- 9.3

Do any of you happen to know a place or manufacturer that makes/sells extremely small displays? I'd like some for my MA37, but they would have to be around 1x1 and 2x2 cm and more or less without a frame around them. I'm fairly certain these things exist, but nobody seems to have any :-(

Do you think a setup like that would work in a helmet? And what would you use to run the lcd? Or more importantly, what would you display on your hud?
I recently bought a pair of video goggles used off ebay. The Vuzix Wrap 310. I would compare it to a 4 inch screen floating 6 inches in front of your face. Has little dials so you can change the focus and everything is clear at that distance.
Vuzix iWear Wrap 310 Specifications

I have lots of projects in mind for these goggles, but in the short term watching 3D youtube and constructing a 3rd person camera rig.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Viewing-Myself-in-3rd-Person/

Okay, those things are really awesome. Not gonna lie lol. And I'm assuming the lenses are perfectly transparent when its not displaying the screen?

@ ventrue. how about a calculator display there souldn't be to much rewiring involved if any at all you might just have to get it to count down at a steady rate thats the problem that and geting the trigger to work so far away from the display or a small digatel cooking timer i think that would be the best.

@ ventrue. how about a calculator display there souldn't be to much rewiring involved if any at all you might just have to get it to count down at a steady rate thats the problem that and geting the trigger to work so far away from the display or a small digatel cooking timer i think that would be the best.

Oh, sorry, I forgot... I was talking about graphical displays. I can use 7- or 14-segment LED displays for the actual counter if I have to, but I'd like to get more detail on the font of the numbers. Having a turning compass is also pretty high up on the priority list.

I see... Hmm how much would you be willing to spend on a garmin watch. there is a modle out there that has a sync setup that you can program by setting checkpoints in places like home for example. It has a small rotating arrow that is simalar to the one you seek which spins and guides you to your location. Buuuuuuttt, they are not cheap. like not cheap as in you wont be buying new release video games for the next two years, not cheap.

check and see if the battery can run another LED and if it dose its not the battery its the LED.

I see... Hmm how much would you be willing to spend on a garmin watch. there is a modle out there that has a sync setup that you can program by setting checkpoints in places like home for example. It has a small rotating arrow that is simalar to the one you seek which spins and guides you to your location. Buuuuuuttt, they are not cheap. like not cheap as in you wont be buying new release video games for the next two years, not cheap.

Well I think that's a bit too expensive :)

Besides, even an average watch is still too large. The direction indicator of the MA37 only is only about 7 mm in diameter, including the arrow. As I said: These displays would need to be tiny, and there can't be much excess material around them either or they won't fit into the model. They also have to be blueish or colour, that further narrows down the (so far nonexistent) list.

Just one more quick question. If your LED goes out, does that mean you need a new battery or a new led?

Can be both. However, LEDs don't usually just "go out" when the batteries are empty, they gradually fade away.
Check the LED with a new battery, if it still doesn't work it's dead.

you are not easy to please but i understand your intentions and I have checked your AR WIP out and you are correct it only dessirves the best sooo I think the awnser is less electric and more simple then were trying for. and in that case, (hold for excitment).... I have no idea, I'm sorry. I have one more offer an Ipod nano screen is pretty small but that all depends on one money and computers (reprograming) in other words there is no simple solution.

Do any of you happen to know a place or manufacturer that makes/sells extremely small displays? I'd like some for my MA37, but they would have to be around 1x1 and 2x2 cm and more or less without a frame around them. I'm fairly certain these things exist, but nobody seems to have any :-(

Have you checked out OLED displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back