"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am making a helmet and just resined it and fiberglassed and am about to bondo it how the hell do i get rid of the smell of the resin inside the helmet
im worried that the resin's toxic fumes are still inside the helmet( i plan to wear it for paintball) please help

Once the resin has cured it should not be toxic. The fume is toxic only when the chemical reaction takes place. To get rid of the smell try leave it under the sun for several hours. Some spread some talc powder to absorb the smell. We do not recommend making a helmet for paintball. This is a hobby to make suits as costumes.

I Dont know if anyone has posted this or not but i found a very useful way to resin a Chest piece today for a guy of my size. (6 feet 1 380 pounds)
I Took a five gallon bucket wrapped a black trash bag around the bucket and then set the chest piece over the bucket allowing the chest to sit on it as you resin. After the resin cures simply peel the dried resin off of the Bag and Viola! A Solid way to resin a Chest. Hope this Helps so keep building 405th RT Out.

For bondo'ing, do I have to wait for the previous layer to FULLY cure before I can apply a new layer? Or can I just put a new layer on the almost cured layer?

K so according to people even though the inside of my helmet (an e3 clone trooper) is pointy-as-he**. what am i supposed to do to like have a smooth or like soft inside so i can actually put my head in it?

K so according to people even though the inside of my helmet (an e3 clone trooper) is pointy-as-he**. what am i supposed to do to like have a smooth or like soft inside so i can actually put my head in it?

Pad it with foam and/or take a Dremel with a sanding disc and sand the pointy parts down.

Thanks Ventrue!!! also another question how many fiberglass(cloth) layers should I have inside just to be safe (so it's durable)?

For bondo'ing, do I have to wait for the previous layer to FULLY cure before I can apply a new layer? Or can I just put a new layer on the almost cured layer?

You should wait until the bondo cures and then do your sanding before applying more bondo. Normally you shouldn't need a buildup of layers to get your desired results. The better you build your model the less you need to bondo and sand. If your project is that warped that you need to apply several layers, then I would suggest rebuilding the paper model. If you worried about just filling in and leveling out a dent or something, then apply your first coat of bondo and sand that so your not overdoing it with bondo. Also, if you mix the bondo correctly, it shouldn't take too long for it to cure and be able to get sanded. I usually coat a SMALL area with bondo, taping off any sections I want to have a sharp corner, and let that sit for about 20 minutes before I sand it down and see where to go from there.

Just work in small sections, applying small amount of bondo so you minimize sanding and wasting resources.

Thanks Ventrue!!! also another question how many fiberglass(cloth) layers should I have inside just to be safe (so it's durable)?

It depends on the strength of your fiberglass. They measure it in weight. The fiberglass I use is 8oz, I believe, and I use two layers of that, three on the area around the bottom of the helmet/chin just to be extra safe that it doesnt crack from the way I would grab it.
Before I put the first layer of fiberglass down I actually do a thin coat of rondo. This ensures I get all the nooks and crannies and hard to reach spots. Also it helps a ton when I go to lay down the fiberglass because once the rondo is in, I can fiberglass as much as I want without the worry of it warping. I have tried fiberglassing without using a layer of rondo and my personal experience was that I usually ended up warping the project due to either trying to lay down too big an area at once or just from handling the project while fiberglassing it. So I recommend a thin coat of rondo first, applied in small sections with a paintbrush. I mix the rondo hot (meaning I add in more hardener than needed) so that it dries quickly and I can get a helmet done rather quickly and less time for it to warp before it sets up.

Found some comments about this, in this thread, but no examples.

Has anyone tried using the Bondo-Glass Filler or Bondo-Hair Filler on their helmets? It's basically resin with the Fibers in the liquid. Just finished doing my helmet's interior, but not sure if I need to do more on the edges. Since some places was hard to put the Fiber Glass on.

Found some comments about this, in this thread, but no examples.

Has anyone tried using the Bondo-Glass Filler or Bondo-Hair Filler on their helmets? It's basically resin with the Fibers in the liquid. Just finished doing my helmet's interior, but not sure if I need to do more on the edges. Since some places was hard to put the Fiber Glass on.

Bondo-Glass is better to use in some cases because its stronger than normal bondo but I personally think that its a bit harder to sand down.

my fiberglass resin is still sticky after 3hours.. I think i didn't put enough hardener on it=[. Is there any way to get around this please?

thank you seeeennniiiioorrrrrrrr!!!!!

No problem. Happened to me as well. I applied it on my Guy-Manuel helmet (Daft Punk) on a cloudy day (Bad idea because it's usually ALWAYS sunny as heck here in Vegas) and i checked up on my helmet like 3 hours later and it was still kinda wet. So I just got a hairdryer and sat down and just blasted it with some hot air for a good 15-25 minutes and I noticed it curing and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back