"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
ey i want to know what colors of paint i need for a master chief helm? also do i need to use bondo for the hardening?

Stop multi-posting.

If you are looking for specific colors' brands/names then that topic is much discussed/debated so you can find some direction by researching the site. There are no definitive colors, only peoples' opinions of what they are.

Bondo or other auto body fillers are often used to further shape and detail a model after it is hardened. Although there are hardening techniques that do utilize bondo as part of a mixture, it is not necessarily required to harden a model.

Since these are fairly standard questions I suggest you do more research of the site on your own. Good luck.

how to I get my bondo completely smooth after i sand with like fine grit paper it still has small pores. If i just spray point it will the pores still show?

how to I get my bondo completely smooth after i sand with like fine grit paper it still has small pores. If i just spray point it will the pores still show?

You'll need to use spot putty to fill in the gashes and pores from Bondo. Apply some on the pores and then sand that smooth with fine grit sandpaper.

i started to harden my helmet and i get the first coat done but i forgot to put hardener in the second batch wat do i do?

That happened to me but what I did is i started a second batch using a really generous amount of hardener in it and applied it to my helmet (the layer was thin though).

You'll need to use spot putty to fill in the gashes and pores from Bondo. Apply some on the pores and then sand that smooth with fine grit sandpaper.

there's pores all over my helmet is that normal? also am i supposed to use spot putty all over my helmet then?

So ....Imma moron, and totally new to Pepakura.

For those closed Peps (I'm assuming all weapons are closed), how do you ready those so they're hard enough for the Bondo stage? I know armor you fiberglass the inside, but ... what about the weapons, or does everyone make them from wood or something?

I just made a Frag grenade (my first Pep ever -- I'm really proud of myself!), and just now realized I can't actually fiberglass the silly little thing.

395959139.jpg

For those closed Peps (I'm assuming all weapons are closed), how do you ready those so they're hard enough for the Bondo stage? I know armor you fiberglass the inside, but ... what about the weapons, or does everyone make them from wood or something?

I just made a Frag grenade (my first Pep ever -- I'm really proud of myself!), and just now realized I can't actually fiberglass the silly little thing.

395959139.jpg

just make about 3-4 coats of resin and hardener

just make about 3-4 coats of resin and hardener

Not going to work. Resin on the outside even with multiple coats will not provide the necessary strength. If you read some of the earlier posts in the sticky, there are some solutions provided. One of them is to cut a hole on the resined weapon. Mix some rondo (resin and bondo) and pour it in the hole. Slush it around the weapon. Once it is fully cured, cover the hole with bondo.

Not going to work. Resin on the outside even with multiple coats will not provide the necessary strength. If you read some of the earlier posts in the sticky, there are some solutions provided. One of them is to cut a hole on the resined weapon. Mix some rondo (resin and bondo) and pour it in the hole. Slush it around the weapon. Once it is fully cured, cover the hole with bondo.

Oh, absolutely awesome. I'll do a little reading then! :p

there's pores all over my helmet is that normal? also am i supposed to use spot putty all over my helmet then?

Bondo is not going to go on perfect, thats what spot putty is for. Its normal for bondo to have gashes when you sand it. If your going for the "brand new" look then you could spot putty all the imperfections in the bondo and sand the whole helmet smooth, but most people go for a battle damaged look and leave some gashes and little holes in there as scratches.

hey i just finished fiberglassing and resining, but i dont know how to bondo

can i bondo the whole helmet? to make it really smooth?

You need to do more research, you've been throwing out basic way too many questions like this.

Use only small amounts of putty and only use it where necessary. Don't bury the whole model in a pile of it.

If I have a piece that doesn't require bondo to reach it's final shape (ie it looks how it should once folded) What do I need to do before I can paint it? Can I prime and paint the resin itself?

If I have a piece that doesn't require bondo to reach it's final shape (ie it looks how it should once folded) What do I need to do before I can paint it? Can I prime and paint the resin itself?

There should be someplace on it that needs at least a bit of smoothing on it there's always an area of blocky pep faces that should be smooth in real life! Anyways, if there actually isn't, you can just prime and paint the resin, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

There should be someplace on it that needs at least a bit of smoothing on it there's always an area of blocky pep faces that should be smooth in real life! Anyways, if there actually isn't, you can just prime and paint the resin, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

I'm actually working on a Magneto helmet right now (it's just the horn part on the front of the helmet that doesn't look like it would need bondo)

Long time reader, im new at this...ok, I know what finberglass resin is, but I have no clue what "rondo" is, where can I buy it? I've resined my armor but all the threds I've read say to use "RONDO", IS like bondo? Please help me

Long time reader, im new at this...ok, I know what finberglass resin is, but I have no clue what "rondo" is, where can I buy it? I've resined my armor but all the threds I've read say to use "RONDO", IS like bondo? Please help me

Rondo is a mix between fiberglass resin and Bondo. I normally see it as a 1 to 1 mix, but it can be done other ways. If you want it more liquidy, use more resin. If you want it less liquidy, use less resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back