"Help!" for: Fiberglassing, Resin, & Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you resin when it's cold outside? because I have used fiberglass resin a few times this year and it's my first year doing it.

Depends on how cold. I believe if the temperature drops below 65 degree F the resin may not harden properly. I've done some resin work over the weekend around 70 degree. To speed up the process I put in a few more catalyst.

You can never do any work in the winter. You may want to make a hotbox. Do a search on how to make one.

Layering help

This qeustion might have been answered, but im trying to work fast. When you put more then one layer of fiberglass on do you wait to completely dry then put on another one, wait till its half dry and then put on anoter piece, or do you just put it all on at once.

Hey 405th. I've just finished Resining the outside of a MAGNETO helmet.

First question: do I need to do more than one coat of resin on the outside?
Second: What would be the next step for me? Do I now resin/fiberglass the inside?
Third: If so can someone walk me through how to do this or point me to a good post for learning how?
4th: If I fiberglass the inside for durability, do I need to Rondo the inside as well?
last: This may be a dumb one. Is rondo something you use on the outside (over the resin) or is that just plain bondo and if you use rondo, what are the benefits vs bondo?

Sorry for the avalanche of questions. and Thanks in advance,
Sincerely,
Magneto

first cover the top with a plastic bag or something because fiberglass threads tend to stick on it and it is impossible to get them all of because they are so small once they are on. Then by adhesive glue and glue the fiberglass onto the helmet do not use to much in one spot or it will morph. After that fiberglass the inside. If you want to, bondo any spot you feel needs to pop out. After that sand it. Rondo is a mix between bondo and fiberglass resin i am pretty sure. I have never used this before. If I had enough time I would bondo it but i only have 2 weeks to finish it.

First question: do I need to do more than one coat of resin on the outside?
Second: What would be the next step for me? Do I now resin/fiberglass the inside?
Third: If so can someone walk me through how to do this or point me to a good post for learning how?
4th: If I fiberglass the inside for durability, do I need to Rondo the inside as well?
last: This may be a dumb one. Is rondo something you use on the outside (over the resin) or is that just plain bondo and if you use rondo, what are the benefits vs bond?
Magneto

First off, you are asking questions that have already been answered in this stickies. This is frowned upon by most veterans because it shows that you have not read the stickies and do your homework.

1. Usually one coat is enough. Some prefer to do several coats. It depends on individual preference.
2. Next step is to resin/fiberglass inside.
3. Read, read, read. This sticky will answer your questions. You can also try YouTube for tutorial.
4. Fiberglass is all you need. You do not need Rondo. Rondo may be used only on areas that are hard to reach. It depends on preference.
5. You never use rondo on the outside. You use bondo. For pros and cons on rondo, read this sticky or use the search bar on the top to look for your answers.

Please read, read and read!

First off, you are asking questions that have already been answered in this stickies. This is frowned upon by most veterans because it shows that you have not read the stickies and do your homework.

1. Usually one coat is enough. Some prefer to do several coats. It depends on individual preference.
2. Next step is to resin/fiberglass inside.
3. Read, read, read. This sticky will answer your questions. You can also try YouTube for tutorial.
4. Fiberglass is all you need. You do not need Rondo. Rondo may be used only on areas that are hard to reach. It depends on preference.
5. You never use rondo on the outside. You use bondo. For pros and cons on rondo, read this sticky or use the search bar on the top to look for your answers.

Please read, read and read!

I'm Sorry about posting previously answered questions. There are a lot of pages in these stickies and I've only got about 2 hours a day to devote to working on my project between work, class and my grad thesis. But I won't make excuses. I'll be more thorough next time. Thanks as always for your help!!

At the risk of asking another answered question:
I've got a piece I resined yesterday and it's dry but I think it may still smell a bit like resin. Is it still a health risk, and if it is, will it remain so after I spray a few coats of paint on it? (I'll be painting this particular piece directly without adding any other layers of bondo, etc.)

I'm Sorry about posting previously answered questions. There are a lot of pages in these stickies and I've only got about 2 hours a day to devote to working on my project between work, class and my grad thesis. But I won't make excuses. I'll be more thorough next time. Thanks as always for your help!!

At the risk of asking another answered question:
I've got a piece I resined yesterday and it's dry but I think it may still smell a bit like resin. Is it still a health risk, and if it is, will it remain so after I spray a few coats of paint on it? (I'll be painting this particular piece directly without adding any other layers of bondo, etc.)

No problem. Once the resin is cured, it should not pose any health risk. However, I would not recommend that you put your face on the resin yet. Resin takes up to 24 hours to fully cured. You should consider put the resined piece under the sun to try to get rid of the smell. My kids costume still smell after a year. Placing a fan helps get rid of the smell when my kids wear the helmets.

This qeustion might have been answered, but im trying to work fast. When you put more then one layer of fiberglass on do you wait to completely dry then put on another one, wait till its half dry and then put on anoter piece, or do you just put it all on at once.

You can lay down multiple layers of fibreglass in one session. How many depends on the kind of resin and glass you're using. Whether it's a good idea tolay down more after the resin is cured (not dried; watercolour dries, resin reacts chemically) also depends on the resin.

un 1st question answer probably no 2nd on the other hand maybee but you might need to use quite a bit of that stuff to get a good thick layer

Ok quick question. My friend and I don't have much money and my dad has a bunch of Urethane that he says can substitute the Fiberglass resin. Will this work? And if so will we still have to add fiberglass mats in the helmet?

So the weather has been crappy lately and I'm wondering if the 405th has any pointers on how to go about applying resin and fiberglass mats to my helmet when it's chilly. The high has been about 55 lately and I don't have too much access to good work space. Here's what I have: An unheated garage and a couple little space heaters. Alternatively, I also have a largely unused spare bedroom and a box fan I could put in a window. Is there some combination of these two set-ups that could work for me?

Were I to resin outside and then bring it in to cure in said spare room, would the resin cure properly having been applied in the cool outdoor air?

Any ideas?

So the weather has been crappy lately and I'm wondering if the 405th has any pointers on how to go about applying resin and fiberglass mats to my helmet when it's chilly. The high has been about 55 lately and I don't have too much access to good work space. Here's what I have: An unheated garage and a couple little space heaters. Alternatively, I also have a largely unused spare bedroom and a box fan I could put in a window. Is there some combination of these two set-ups that could work for me?

Were I to resin outside and then bring it in to cure in said spare room, would the resin cure properly having been applied in the cool outdoor air?

Any ideas?

NEVER, NEVER apply resin inside the house. The fume takes forever to dissipate. If the weather is cold, all you can do is wait until the weather warms up. If you need to do resin now, use the garage and heat it up with space heaters. Try to place the heaters away because resin chemicals are highly flameable.

Any ideas?

I'm not too sure if it is entirely advised, but you could make an oven. I decided to make one the other day, and it works wonders in the cold. Simply attain a large cardboard box, like a dishwasher box, and line the inside with foil, shiny side in. Then put a light inside the box, the hotter the better. The inside of the box can get quite hot depending on how strong the light is. I am personally using a 75 watt bulb right now, but I'm switching to a 150 watt soon. The 75 watt one cures the resin in about half an hour, so the wattage you use is up to you. Like CoolC said before, careful with the heat though, as this stuff can catch fire; it hasn't for me yet, so it seems safe.

Any ideas?

Use Aqua Resin and read this: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33426-Prop-Making-Safety-Guide

I have a question.

I've recently resined and *partly* fiberglassed a pep. but now the weather turned from sunny to rainy/windy and cold. working with resin inside or anywhere else is out of the question for me. so help!

can i finish the pep with smooth cast 300? will it eat/burn the resin and fiberglass?
can i add cloths of fiberglass with the smooth cast like you'd normally do with resin?

also, can i pour PU Liquid foam over the resin / smooth cast?

please help me ^^
it would be such a shame to pep a whole new chest because of this.

can i finish the pep with smooth cast 300? will it eat/burn the resin and fiberglass?

You could certainly use it, but I doubt that you really want to, because it's toxic as well.

Make sure to thoroughly clean and maybe slightly sand the surface before you start.

can i add cloths of fiberglass with the smooth cast like you'd normally do with resin?

Yes.

also, can i pour PU Liquid foam over the resin / smooth cast?

Sure, why not?

You could certainly use it, but I doubt that you really want to, because it's toxic as well.
Make sure to thoroughly clean and maybe slightly sand the surface before you start.

From what i've seen on youtube the fumes aren't as bad as that of Resin, so i could keep the window open en use a mask and i'll be able to do it inside.

Sure, why not?

Well i'm mostly worried that the one will eat the other. wouldn't make me that happy xD

From what i've seen on youtube the fumes aren't as bad as that of Resin, so i could keep the window open en use a mask and i'll be able to do it inside.

Same advice as before: Read the safety guide. The simple fact that you already think yourself that a respirator is necessary should be reason enough to NOT use these chemicals inside.

Well i'm mostly worried that the one will eat the other. wouldn't make me that happy xD
You could always just try that out on a separate experimentation model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back