"Help!" for: Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scanned through all 8 pages, and searched for quite a bit, but i couldn't find an answer to my question. I wanted to know what is the best glue for gluing EVA foam armor to an underarmor compression undersuit, I don't think hot glue would be one of the better routes for gluing large pieces to the compression top, so what other options are out there ?? I know of some really wicked stuff that glues pretty much everything together called barge cement, but don't have any experience using it, does anyone here have experience using barge or any other type of liquid glue to glue foam armor to under suits ??

For starters, how thick is the compression suit? I find that a good, if quite basic, method for attaching EVA armour pieces to under-armour/strapping is to go hot glue/undersuit(strapping)/hot glue/BIG staple. I use this method for attaching my ODST Upper arm/Shoulder pieces to the strapping, and they work very well. It's also quite difficult to remove them from the strapping, though I suppose that that is a good thing. As to other glues, I haven't the foggiest idea.

its going to be more of form fitting armor, i have an EVA ballistic top that i removed all the bulky plastic pieces from ( so say 1mm thick ??) but it has built in foam pads and i want to build off them creating a set of custom SW/Republic Commando/ODST/HALO armor up top, so i have a solid base to start with, but i will have the bigger pieces strapped to the base layer. but for the "ab section" I want to glue the foam to the suit so it moves and flexes with the wearer :)

From what I've seen, there are Not templates for those games. Foam wasn't a thing really when those files were still popular.. I didn't see any in the 405th 4shared database, you may have to just kitbash your own from pepakura files or try freehanding it.

An idea?

its going to be more of form fitting armor, i have an EVA ballistic top that i removed all the bulky plastic pieces from ( so say 1mm thick ??) but it has built in foam pads and i want to build off them creating a set of custom SW/Republic Commando/ODST/HALO armor up top, so i have a solid base to start with, but i will have the bigger pieces strapped to the base layer. but for the "ab section" I want to glue the foam to the suit so it moves and flexes with the wearer :)

I have several ideas about this, but the one that sticks in my head the most is using the really thin EVA craft foam and "sewing" it to the under suit (or even hot gluing a nylon strap to the inside and cutting slits, then sewing the strapping to the suit for added strength). Then, since EVA glued to EVA is incredible, glue the ab section EVA piece to the thin EVA craft foam that is sewed to the under armor. Just an idea.

Spartan Intimidator 117 is made completely from foam, including the helm and shotgun.
100_4774.jpg

After browsing through this thread I have a list of tips for anyone who is interested:

Prior to cutting the foam seal it with a heatgun first. You will get less shrinkage and can achieve very crisp edges. You also use less paint in the end.

Foam edges. You have a couple of options depending on the finish you want. For a factory cut on an exposed edge I use a hotknife and metal ruler and slice completely through in 1 cut on hot temp. This is a slow process but makes the nicest cut. For general cuts on pieces to be glued together or with a shallow (2-3mm) overlap I use the same process only I cut 3mm deep with the hotknife and then cut the shape out with large scissors. If your edges are rough no need to worry, you have options. You can go for the rough look and use glue and paint to achieve a rough metal look by applying a coat of hotglue then a coat of gloss black and then a heavy drybrush of metalic silver. You can also make a sanding block with 360-400 grit paper and smooth the edge. When sanding foam you have to be aware of friction heat, it can gum and/or shred the foam surface. The cod belt has many exposed and visible edges
Picture104.jpg

Hot glue. I mostly use hotglue on high temp. Apply a light bead to exposed seams and a heavy bead wherever you can't see. A thick bead held firm until it sets is preferable on high stress seams. Room temperature is also important, have a cold room if you want your work to set fast and use a warm room if you want more time to work the glue before it sets. With a warm room you need to hold the bond longer. I use a cold room for smoothing the glue on a finish surface, such as the edges of the foam or for making surface repairs on my finished armor. Try a lower temp for smoothing the glue, with practice you can achieve nice results. The tacpad addon on my forearm was my first attempt at this technique, it came out ok.
Picture182.jpg

Foam. I use 10-12mm grey or black (I don't recommend colors) for the main parts and then use various smaller sizes for details although 3mm seems to work best. 3mm seems to make a proportionate edge that can be cut crisp and is easy to paint. 2mm is harder to cut nicely and the edges are very small if you paint your details. To keep an area rigid you can glue craft sticks to the back of the foam. This is handy for flat parts on a rounded piece that can get stressed and lose their shape. For branding the foam I use the woodburning tips with the hotknife. Vent the room as the fumes can give you a headache or work outside. The tip starts very hot but drops heat quick so you start fast and end slow to achieve even branding lines. Also between branding let the iron heat to max and apply the same pressure to achieve a consistent look. Try a metal edge or shape to trace around. Practice is everything.
Picture320.jpg

Paint. I use plastidip as a base/sealant and then acrylic/latex for the finish. A gloss coat is optional, my armor does not have a gloss coat. Longshot-x has the same paint scheme and has a gloss coat. Note: you can use latex paint and skip the plastidip, however, it will not be as durable and resistant to wear and tear. I paint edges and details in flat black, this makes a big difference in photo's well worth the extra time. I also drybrush metallic silver lightly everywhere and then heavy in the high wear areas. I also add a solid silver trim to any sharp edges to help them stand out in photos. For inset black areas I use gloss black and then flat black on the ridges. This may seem like overkill but it does make a difference in photos.
DSC_0131.jpg

Templates. I made mine from low-def pep files and added detail shapes from high def files. You really only need the larger shapes and cut/fold lines. The smaller ridges can be achieved by using the thickness of the foam as an edge. Try to put seams where there is a ridge or detail and remember, you can carve out the back of the foam along mountain folds to avoid an ugly seam or edge.

Good luck and happy armoring!

i found a daycare selling these different colored foam mats 2 x 2 are they ok to use to build armour

0082238424015_300X300.jpg

and also found this at walmart dont know if it will do the job for bevel cutting just checking to see if anyone has tried it

0000895791166_500X500.jpg

Those foam mats are pretty much what the vast majority of foam builders here use. Some also mix in the thinner sheets of craft foam (the kind found in the craft department at walmart).

That tool looks like it would do a decent job of making it easier to cut a beveled/angled edge. WOuld think it would also be much more steady in the hand than the pencil-thin-handled cutting blades most commonly used, but at the cost of precision for more complex sections.

Those foam mats are pretty much what the vast majority of foam builders here use. Some also mix in the thinner sheets of craft foam (the kind found in the craft department at walmart).

An interesting little tidbit I may add is that foam can be found in the most odd places... I remember right when I was about to leave to buy some foamies, one of my archery targets broke, and on the inside was foam of 4 different thicknesses. And there was much rejoicing. lol

An interesting little tidbit I may add is that foam can be found in the most odd places... I remember right when I was about to leave to buy some foamies, one of my archery targets broke, and on the inside was foam of 4 different thicknesses. And there was much rejoicing. lol

That tool looks like it would do a decent job of making it easier to cut a beveled/angled edge. WOuld think it would also be much more steady in the hand than the pencil-thin-handled cutting blades most commonly used, but at the cost of precision for more complex sections.

the lady at the daycare wants $1.00 a piece......the tool will be bought tonight

A buck a piece for 2' x 2' mats is a steal. They normally cost $15-20 for a pack of 6 if you're lucky, sometimes they only give you 4 in a pack.

So i have a resin/foam question. I peped up the Gunginr file by JTM and there are a few floating faces in the model. I want to do these faces out of craft foam but I know that if I put resin on the foam it will eat away at it. I havent messed with foam so I dont know anything about plastidip. What I can guess I should do is harden my helmet, smooth it out with bondo, and then add the foam, with a final spray paint. Is there a better way to do it or am I correct in my process?

So i have a resin/foam question. I peped up the Gunginr file by JTM and there are a few floating faces in the model. I want to do these faces out of craft foam but I know that if I put resin on the foam it will eat away at it. I havent messed with foam so I dont know anything about plastidip. What I can guess I should do is harden my helmet, smooth it out with bondo, and then add the foam, with a final spray paint. Is there a better way to do it or am I correct in my process?

Painting over just foam is not that great. It is very porous and has a texture that will be very different from your bondo work. If this is okay, then go for it. If you want the same surface as the bondo, I would suggest "painting" a sand able wood glue / water mixture (about 3-4 coats). This will give you a solid non-porous shell that you first can sand very smooth and then can prime and paint easily.

A buck a piece for 2' x 2' mats is a steal. They normally cost $15-20 for a pack of 6 if you're lucky, sometimes they only give you 4 in a pack.

she has a lot so im doing the mark vi how many pieces of foam you guys think i should get to do the whole armour and helmet?

At a buck a piece, I would buy it all! LOL. It is hard to say how much you will need since we don't know the level of detail you are going for or your budget for foam... and don't forget a "mess up ratio" :D

With that said, I would personally pick up 20 (a bit overkill, but at that price, I would jump on it!). I have made an Iron Man helmet, Sharkboy and Lavagirl outfits for my kids, and the back and neck piece of my Deep Eyes build and have used approx. 12 pieces.

Also, that cutting tool you got looks cool, but make sure you purchase plenty of replacement blades. They go dull real quick and trying to cut foam with a dullish blade is one cause to a sub par build. Personally, I change my blades after about two, maybe three feet of linear cutting. It gets spendy, but that is why I buy blades (surgical scalpel) in bulk. I paid $12 for 100 blades (and they are sterile to boot!).

Definitely get as many as your budget will allow. What you don't use for armor can be used for props or other projects, and if you get to the end of all that you want to do with foam and still have more left, you can always put it up for sale/trade in the Classifieds.

So I have a new question! Ive stumbled upon a handful of Mass Effect PDO's for weapons and Im really wanting to make some Mass Effect armor to go along with a future rifle. Now I dont know a lot about foam building (If anyone has some good thorough tuts i would enjoy spending the time researching.) but I do know you need a heat gun to bend the foam. My question is if I NEED a heat gun or if I can just use a hair dryer on a high heat or some other cheaper solution.

So I have a new question! Ive stumbled upon a handful of Mass Effect PDO's for weapons and Im really wanting to make some Mass Effect armor to go along with a future rifle. Now I dont know a lot about foam building (If anyone has some good thorough tuts i would enjoy spending the time researching.) but I do know you need a heat gun to bend the foam. My question is if I NEED a heat gun or if I can just use a hair dryer on a high heat or some other cheaper solution.

You should be fine with your idea of the hair dryer. My heat gun, on low, blows about the same as a hair dryer on high and that is the only setting I ever use to form my foam... even the heavy and thick EVA. I found that the higher setting has a tendency to heat it too much. Worst case, try with what you have and if it does not work, get the other item :)

Hey, I've recently found out that one of the files that I want to do is a foam file, and was wondering if there is anything that I should know about foam building because to be honest, I have not a clue; well, I know it needs to be heated, I think? I don't know, I was just wondering if there was anything I should know before going into this sort of thing, because right now I am sort of running blindly into a battle so to speak. Any links, advise, etc... would be very helpful! Also, what foam would I need to buy? I have a Walmart near me and was thinking I could look for foam there. I think it is called EVA foam, but last time I went there they had no clue what I was talking about.

The term they will likely recognize is "Anti-fatigue foam mats", or something of the like. You should find them around the treadmills and elliptical cross-trainers (I found em on a shelf underneath them). If you have a Harbor Freight near you, that would be even better because they tend to be cheaper there, and they are usually running sales there. You can find the little 2mm and 5mm "foamies" for details at craft stores. Hobby Lobby has a great selection of sizes, but you can find some at Walmart or Michael's too. They have them near the beads at the Hobby Lobby here, but I'm not sure if it's the same at other stores.

One thing I've noticed building with foam is that it is easier to avoid getting burned if you're careful not to glob the glue on (it'll drip). Smooth it down with the nozzle of the glue gun before you join your pieces together, and your seam will be cleaner, too. ^^ It also cures faster that way, so you're not stuck sitting there waiting for it to dry enough to hold. Lots and lots of fresh x-acto blades really make a difference in your seams, too.

Heating them is helpful to end up with the right shape (My Wetwork helmet ended up longer rather than wider because I didn't heat the pieces much), but if you do heat them, be sure you heat pieces for both sides the same way or it'll try and warp a little. I've personally noticed more scratch-builders heating the foam than pep-builders, but to each their own. I heat em either way if the situation calls for it. :p

Erm...that's all I can think of from personal experience that might help. Good luck! I'll be looking for a build thread! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back