"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys have any experience working with EVA foam as an armor medium? I'm about to start a pretty ambitious project involving EVA foam and I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Sounds like you haven't been around in a while. Every other person and their cousins are now using EVA foam as a preferred medium for costuming. I suggest that you visit a few WIP threads here. You can't miss them.

EDIT: ugh! looks like your question has been answered already.

Ok, next question. I have the super big armor pep pack but it is missing the mjolnir mk4 thighs. Does anyone know where to find it?

Alright guys, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm looking for a good undersuit, preferably all black. I'd like something with the look/feel of neoprene. I thought about Under Armor, but I'd like something not so skin-tight and form-fitting or baggy-looking. I have a neoprene dive suit which would be great if neoprene didn't trap heat... I looked in the Undersuit Resource thread and didn't see anything that I liked too well.
Any suggestions?

Have you thought about looking at dancer's unitards or a star wars clone trooper undersuit. It has 1-inch ribbing and has cinch tabs on it. Either that or get a flight suit and add your own cinch tabs that can be hidden by the armor.

As an alternative, take a flight suit and install velcro strips all over it. Then, install your harness system for your armor. Take 1/4-inch craft foam and cut it into shape for whatever you deem appropriate for the under suit and then use the craft foam to cinch over the flight suit. It will hide the bunched material and give another layer to the realism of your costume.

Or just break down and buy a suit of motorcycle armor for the undersuit.

Alright guys, I'm hoping you can help me. I'm looking for a good undersuit, preferably all black. I'd like something with the look/feel of neoprene. I thought about Under Armor, but I'd like something not so skin-tight and form-fitting or baggy-looking. I have a neoprene dive suit which would be great if neoprene didn't trap heat... I looked in the Undersuit Resource thread and didn't see anything that I liked too well.
Any suggestions?

It may not be as comfortable, but my friends and I are making undersuits by wrapping ourselves in saran wrap, duct tape(for streangth) and then sewing on black fabric. It is more work but it is fairly cheap. We are also adding foam underneath the fabric for extra protection for airsofting.

Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.
I'll be going with the Clone Trooper Undersuit! Looked it up on Google, and it's pretty much perfect for me! Thanks Jason-549!

Not sure if anyones asked before, but are there any good methods of increasing height for a spartan costume. Was thinking foot lifts, but not sure if there were any better methods out there. Am 5''7 tall and would like to achieve at least 6'' when fully suited up.

Not sure if anyones asked before, but are there any good methods of increasing height for a spartan costume. Was thinking foot lifts, but not sure if there were any better methods out there. Am 5''7 tall and would like to achieve at least 6'' when fully suited up.

Search function is your friend. Read post #'s 295-299 in this thread.

Hey guys, so I'm just about done with my armor and when I'm thinking of building a new torso out of harbor freight foam, but I've never used foam for building. Is there a good tut somewhere I can't find any....If not I'm mostly just wondering if you can fiberglass it without destroying it, as well if bondo works on it. Thanks in advance 405th.

you can resin/fiberglass it only if u use a hardcoat like ureshell first other wise the resin will dissolve the foam:/

A resin without solvents should work.

But I'm not sure why you'd want to fibreglass foam armour, wouldn't that still be squishy afterwards?

A resin without solvents should work.

But I'm not sure why you'd want to fibreglass foam armour, wouldn't that still be squishy afterwards?
I'm just wondering if it works. More over if bondo works on it, how do people fill in gaps that aren't supposed to be part of the armor?

i've seen some people fill in those gaps with hot glue. i'm sure you could use bondo, but it would be hard making the work clean. you could also just cut out a foam wedge and glue it in there. and if you don't want to try any of those, some people use epoxy putty, or just some regular epoxy.

I'm considering a method of using Balsa wood/carving foam to make a mold. would it be a better method than Pepakua?

Posting this again in the hopes that someone can help me or at least redirect me to a better thread. My project piece is in critical condition.

I'm currently working on a sculpt of the Dead Space 2 "Advanced Suit" helmet (I'll provide an earlier-stage picture below) with water-based clay. I've gotten pretty far I think, and I have only some detailing, alignment, and smoothing out to do before I'm ready for the mold-making process, I reckon.
Unfortunately, with my job, college, and other responsibilities, I haven't been able to work on it for a while, and about two weeks ago, the sculpt started to show major signs of drying out (a small piece or two fell off, and cracks have formed from the minor shrinking). Is there anything you folks can recommend so I can salvage this piece? I don't want it to crack under my fingers while I'm finishing it (I have about 12 lbs left of clay; I had bought 25 lbs of water-base), and I don't want to start again unless I really need to.
I would have gotten oil-based (the burnt orange type that many people seems to use), but it's rather expensive, and there aren't any distributors near me (shipping 25 lbs of that water-based clay cost a small fortune). Seeing as how this is my first attempt at armormaking, I wanted to go cheap and efficient. I guess not efficient enough!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/overhangandemardrom/Img_00030.jpg?t=1305659830

Anyone have any suggestions for creating the N7 Insignia from the Mass Effect N7 Armor? I was going to overlay cut out construction paper on white cardstock, but I didn't know how to make it shiny and thick.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back