"Help!" for: Misc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allrighty.....
Going to be starting a M6X build this week, using Styrene plastic sheets (.02" and .015" thickness)
Any advice, tips, or tricks?

Hey guys, I'm plenty new to this site, and I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes. But I need some advice, and I also have some questions. I am planning on making a Noble-6 helmet in the near future, but I don't really want to pep it. What I wanted to do was to make the helmet from scratch using the 3d pep as a template. Now, I am a beginner, so I would just like to know, but should I use foam or cardboard to make it? Like, which one is more user-friendly? And I have a picture of one side of the helmet, and the pep file, but if anyone has any, could they link me to some side, front and back profiles of the helmet? I could really use them. I appreciate any help that you guys can give me. Thanks in advance!

@nintendude: Sorta.... I was planning on using the pep model (minus the tabs) as the basis. Some parts would be scored, then snapped so that they are still connected but can bend. After I glued them in place or put in supports, i was goign to fill the cracks with testors model putty. lol, that's the idea anyways.... not sure yet wether it'll work or if i'll fail miserably :D

oh, as a side note, the styrene is more like a plastic sheet than foam. not sure if there was confusion about that or not.

Quick scaling question: is there some sort of magic scaling formula? I'm about 5' 4", and I'd like to make the Rundown Spartan III armor.

Nope. There is no "one formula fits all". Best way I found to scale is to measure your body where the piece goes, and then scale your piece accordingly. For instance, the distance from my knee to my hip is 470mm. Since the thigh doesn't come all the way up to the hip, I scaled my thigh piece to 450mm.

It's best to build a low detail model first to see how well you scaled it before going on to the high def.

There is also this way of scaling:

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25588-How-to-Scale-Your-Armour-Tutorial-V.2

I would go with how ever much money u have. If u have a lot, get a pressure suit. If you want to conserve, like I do, get thermal underwear.

Hello does any one know if bronze reflective is a good visor color for a MC visor? That's all I could manage with my budget...

I have a question about making the neckseal for my Ironman Mk IV suit. Here is a reference pic.
20101122154423-c3003dc3.jpg

I haven't really decided how to go about building it. Anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this please let me know I'm kind of at a loss here.

Im working on my own suit of armor right now and in my thread I was trying to post pictures. I have the link to photobucket, and I also tried to get it to show just the picture. I got the picture on there but all it shows is a red X and I dont know how to fix it?

Just use the URLs you already have (except the last one, which leads to a web page and not an image) and put them in between IMG-tags instad of URL-tags. Like this (quote me to see what I've done):

Gabeshaloarmor004.jpg

I have a question about making the neckseal for my Ironman Mk IV suit. Here is a reference pic.
20101122154423-c3003dc3.jpg

I haven't really decided how to go about building it. Anyone have any suggestions about how to go about this please let me know I'm kind of at a loss here.

It looks to me like the easiest way would be to make a side/the back and work your way over and up. I've never made it, so that may not be of any help.

hey I'm extremely new to this whole concept on many levels in cosplay and forums eg this is the first account i have made for a forum and well i was wondering if anyone could give me tips about foam armour i would love to do a cosplay in armour but cheaply done and i done some looking around but i'm not 100% sure how i could pull this off so any video's links or any other advice on how to contruct foam armour would be execellent

Ok, so I asked how to make a visor in a different place in the forums and someone was nice enough to answer (and told me this thread exists[gosh I'm a noob]) saying that I should use a motorbike helmet visor. But, I was thinking, since I plan on making an ODST costume I realised that the visor is shaped quite differently then any motorbike helmets I've seen. Does anyone know of a way to make a visor for ODST?

Ok, so I asked how to make a visor in a different place in the forums and someone was nice enough to answer (and told me this thread exists[gosh I'm a noob]) saying that I should use a motorbike helmet visor. But, I was thinking, since I plan on making an ODST costume I realised that the visor is shaped quite differently then any motorbike helmets I've seen. Does anyone know of a way to make a visor for ODST?

Get two motorcycle visors of the same exact color that you want to use then look for a picture of an ODST helmet that is is facing towards you when you look at it and I think that should give you a pretty good idea of how to make the visor for the ODST helmet. I think that this is a good idea because i plan to do it also.

hey I'm extremely new to this whole concept on many levels in cosplay and forums eg this is the first account i have made for a forum and well i was wondering if anyone could give me tips about foam armour i would love to do a cosplay in armour but cheaply done and i done some looking around but i'm not 100% sure how i could pull this off so any video's links or any other advice on how to contruct foam armour would be execellent

May sound a bit lame, since Roadkiller has has just mentioned it as well, but foam is a very popular material these days and the search function will definitely help you. Tutorials, WIP threads, it's all there. Ben Streeper has made a video tutorial, for example. It's called "foam armoring" and will shop right on page one if you search for "foam".

You should also use more punctuation marks. I have some left over, help yourself: ....,,,,,,,???!!!!:::;; :) (← That was a joke, no harm intended. But seriously, use these things. They were invented for a reason.)

That was me (yeah, I remember you! ;-)). But you omitted the fact that this is about an ODST visor :)
Most helmets (Mark V and VI, for example) allow you to put in motorcycle helmet visors directly, maybe with a little cutting done around the edges to make it fit. To make an ODST visor, you can use one of these as well, cut it up and heat it up to bend it. I remember somebody making a video tutorial, you may want to check that out for more details. However, since the ODST visors are only tinted and not mirrored, you could also vacuform it or do other cool stuff.

Im working on my makr VI chestpiece right now and im almost done. I asked how to fit it and they said to cut into a front and back. what stage do you do that, is it before aqua resin?

I want to start making a full suit of armor pretty soon, and I was wondering how much should i save up before i start. I have no materials, and no equipment necessary so i will have to go buy it. How much do you guys think would be adequate? I dont wanna start until i have enough money to buy everything I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back