Help! Pep unfolded weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Shiny Sides

Jr Member
So, I was working on my custom helmet redesign and I decided I wanted to go ahead and do a test build of the visor portion. For some reason it decided that at the very middle it was going to flip the color and split it. Right in the very middle, top to bottom, the visor has no folds and one side has the color flipped to the reverse and the other to the front.

Can anybody help me figure out where I went wrong? I searched Google some, but nothing was at all related.

pep.png

The red line obviously denotes open edges. I did some messing around and if I completely remake each individual vertice in blender, then it will work, but thats just a bandaid, that doesn't fix the issue..

I don't quite see what you are wondering about but with something like this I would suggest cutting it into parts to make the curve easier to assemble.

pep.png

Ok, the issue at hand is that Pepakura is splitting my visor in two pieces.
This pic shows the visor unfolded, albeit terribly as I didn't want to waste time making it pretty.
The way Pep is set up in default is that open edges, i.e. edges with no folds, are outlined in red. If you look at the picture, it very clearly has a red outline going right thru the visor.

It would be impractical to break the visor down any further, as it would then end up wasting card stock and time. My issue is that its cutting my visor into two sections and I don't know if theres a way to fix this in Pepakura Designer or if I have to slowly rebuild my model one vertice at a time in Blender.

If anyone has a solution to this issue, please let me know. I have a very suspicious feeling as to what started this issue and I think it may carry over into the rest of the helmet. To give you an idea of why this will suck... the visor alone has 96 verts in it, thankfully I'm only redoing half. Thats a lot of click, adjust xyz parameters, reface area, click again, repeat..

That's an easy fix - the problem is that the two halves of your visor have differently-facing normals (in other words, the faces on one half are facing the opposite direction to the other half). If you own Blender, it's a simple case of importing the model, going into Edit mode, and hitting CTRL+N to force all of the normals to face the right way.

If you can't be bothered with all of that, you can simply force a tab onto the open edge in Pepakura using the Edit Flaps tool - the file will still be utterly accurate.

If you'd like, I can fix the issue for you and unfold the model in about ten minutes, if you provide me with the file.

Where the section is with the red lines are, go back into blender and make sure that the vertices that are connecting those 2 edges are mesh welded. Also, not sure if you know this, lines need to be specified in your 3d view of pepakura as to where you want your model to split into parts. You can't expect it to work right by just hitting the Unfold button.:)

EDIT:SCRATCH OUT WHAT I SAID. Chernobyl definitely seems to be on point with this. Was just trying to help, lol.:cool

Thank you both, and especially to Chernobyl. I just started learning how to use Blender two days ago, so I'm still learning a lot. Most of what I've learned, beyond the intro video that they have at Blender, I've figured out on my own, and its been a hard haul so far.

Yay! Ok, so again, thank you Chernobyl for that hotkey advice. Here is the fruits of your advice and a small amount of unfold labor. Saved, I took your advice, sort of, and went snooping around and found the tool for modifying what edges can be made to separate, so thank you for that. If you'd like the visor, just to tootle around with I suppose, I can send it.
pep.png

Most of what I've learned, beyond the intro video that they have at Blender, I've figured out on my own, and its been a hard haul so far.

It is - but I'm mainly self-taught, and I'll give you that it can be difficult at times. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Yay! Ok, so again, thank you Chernobyl for that hotkey advice.

It's honestly fine. As I said above - I'm self-taught, and while I'm no wizard at all the program has to offer, I'm certainly well-versed enough to use it for Pepakura's needs. If you need anything else, please feel free to ask and I'll do what I can to help.

Yay! Ok, so again, thank you Chernobyl for that hotkey advice. Here is the fruits of your advice and a small amount of unfold labor. Saved, I took your advice, sort of, and went snooping around and found the tool for modifying what edges can be made to separate, so thank you for that. If you'd like the visor, just to tootle around with I suppose, I can send it.
View attachment 27104

No need to. Looks like your good to go from here. Also, check out CGcookie. I've have a subsciption with them for about a year now. If you have the money its only $23 a month. All their lessons/tutorials are free to download if you have a subscription.(only if you plan to get deeper into 3D modeling, and everything else that is involves 3d modeling.) Their team is phenomenal, and there is the community forum, which is great also! And your welcome! Thats good practice to edit your fold tabs like that! Keep up the hard work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back