How To Make A Helmet From Pep To Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
OXM_Chase said:
Probably a stupid question, but how do you know which piece starts the top of the helmet cause I just start gluing pieces together when I happen to find their corresponding number. It results in some angles not bending like they're suppose to though.

Use Pepakura Designer to find the top piece. Right click in the 2D window and select Check Corresponding Face (alternative: go to 2D Menu -> Edit Mode -> Check correspondence between 2D and 3D, it's the same function), then double click on the part you want to start with and it will be highlighted in red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ben, just wanted to say Thanks for the videos, they are helping me a lot. Couple of questions ,what liquid latex did you use on the Eva? because you said it was pretty cheap, and also can you do a video on tips and tricks for detailing like for example the rivets and screws for the Iron Man helmet? Ive looked at home depot for rivets and stuff but they dont look right or is it just me? Lol...I'm usually pretty good at scratchbuilding stuff but this one is driving me crazy... its probably pretty easy but I cant figure it out! Thanks and good luck with youre store.

AceHigh said:
Use Pepakura Designer to find the top piece. Right click in the 2D window and select Check Corresponding Face (alternative: go to 2D Menu -> Edit Mode -> Check correspondence between 2D and 3D, it's the same function), then double click on the part you want to start with and it will be highlighted in red.

Thanks!

Kinjo said:
Hey Ben, just wanted to say Thanks for the videos, they are helping me a lot. Couple of questions ,what liquid latex did you use on the Eva? because you said it was pretty cheap, and also can you do a video on tips and tricks for detailing like for example the rivets and screws for the Iron Man helmet? Ive looked at home depot for rivets and stuff but they dont look right or is it just me? Lol...I'm usually pretty good at scratchbuilding stuff but this one is driving me crazy... its probably pretty easy but I cant figure it out! Thanks and good luck with youre store.

Mold maker- liquid latex

and cor the rivets use 1/2 round push pins

Pilot92 said:
for the detail on the top of the EOD helmet, just use the same dremil tech. as the one you did on your reach helm?

yes

This is a video just giving you a just of what ive done so far with pepakura, which is really fun, painful, tiring, oh and did u mention fun?

heres my video. It is a little distorted with the sound, and a word flashes randomly during the middle of the clip, but aside from that,its ok.

My Pepakura Projects so far...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_jmGAMZiPQ[/media]

and yes, two things; for people who didn't know, my real name is Logan, and i did get permission from ben to post this here.

Thank you very much Ben.

Erebus-666 said:
This is a video just giving you a just of what ive done so far with pepakura, which is really fun, painful, tiring, oh and did u mention fun?

heres my video. It is a little distorted with the sound, and a word flashes randomly during the middle of the clip, but aside from that,its ok.

My Pepakura Projects so far...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_jmGAMZiPQ[/media]

and yes, two things; for people who didn't know, my real name is Logan, and i did get permission from ben to post this here.

Thank you very much Ben.

How'd you make the pieces color specific? Seems like it'd be a lot easier in finding the pieces that go together.

OXM_Chase said:
How'd you make the pieces color specific? Seems like it'd be a lot easier in finding the pieces that go together.

You buy coloured cardstock and print the pieces on the colour of your choice.

There is another way to recognize parts easily, which doesn't require separate coloured paper. If you go to 2D Menu -> Edit Mode -> Input Text you can put any text you like anywhere you like on the pieces. If you number code the different parts of the pep it will be quite easy to recognize the parts that go together as long as you keep them face up.

AceHigh said:
There is another way to recognize parts easily, which doesn't require separate coloured paper. If you go to 2D Menu -> Edit Mode -> Input Text you can put any text you like anywhere you like on the pieces. If you number code the different parts of the pep it will be quite easy to recognize the parts that go together as long as you keep them face up.

When you do that though how do you figure out which piece is going to go to what? I just so happened to find out that you can highlight entire pieces to change the mountain and valley line colors at once. This makes it easier for me to just see red for valley, score it, and bend it. I've been going through and doing it line by line, which took hours :unsure haha. Then it's a search and glue fest after everything's cut out so anything to help me find corresponding pep pieces would be much appreciated.

OXM_Chase said:
When you do that though how do you figure out which piece is going to go to what? I just so happened to find out that you can highlight entire pieces to change the mountain and valley line colors at once. This makes it easier for me to just see red for valley, score it, and bend it. I've been going through and doing it line by line, which took hours :unsure haha. Then it's a search and glue fest after everything's cut out so anything to help me find corresponding pep pieces would be much appreciated.

I pep in front of the computer. That makes it easier because I can use the find corresponding face feature to track down the piece. I also only cut out the pieces as I am about to glue them, this makes it easier to keep up with everything.

i do the same as ben. i do it in front of the computer, and the helmet wasnt color coded. just random, all i had was colored caedstock. but luckly i bought a new packet of white cardstock. yayayayayayayay!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do the same kinda.

I cut out what i need next by checking by numbers.

My brothers laptop isnt as portable as a laptop should be. :( (batterys dead.)

And i still have a pack and a half or white cardstock. About 250 sheets.

I buy it at the wal-mart behind my apartment where i can buy 150 sheets for $5.00

That should be a lot easier then I how I've been gluing. I've hit a road block because the helmet is humongous! Ben, I don't know how big yours normally are, but I'm pretty positive this one takes the cake. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to start over and scale the model this time, but I might keep this to make a life size model in the future. All that time and effort :( but I did learn a few things through the process so it wasn't a complete waste.

Is scaling helmets a matter of trial and error til you get it right? I cut the measurements from my current helmet in half which brought the 16 page print out down to 4, but I don't know if there is a consistent page limit I should be getting with each helmet and armor piece. Like with helmets, I should always be printing out 4 pages with the scale I currently have set up.

BenStreeper said:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_KQabNxBqM[/media]

Hi, let me just say that your videos are very helpful and i just want to thank you for posting them! i have a question, ok after you get done rondoing the inside of the helmet, you rondo the outside correct? and how many times? my second question is what is flex-it foam and how do you use it with the helmet? and lastly, after rondoing and sanding the helmet do you carve the details in? Again, thanks for the awsome videos!!!

OXM_Chase said:
That should be a lot easier then I how I've been gluing. I've hit a road block because the helmet is humongous! Ben, I don't know how big yours normally are, but I'm pretty positive this one takes the cake. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to start over and scale the model this time, but I might keep this to make a life size model in the future. All that time and effort :( but I did learn a few things through the process so it wasn't a complete waste.

Is scaling helmets a matter of trial and error til you get it right? I cut the measurements from my current helmet in half which brought the 16 page print out down to 4, but I don't know if there is a consistent page limit I should be getting with each helmet and armor piece. Like with helmets, I should always be printing out 4 pages with the scale I currently have set up.

More or less it is trial and error, the most common height is 280mm, mine are 300mm or 310mm.

darkcrest0716 said:
Hi, let me just say that your videos are very helpful and i just want to thank you for posting them! i have a question, ok after you get done rondoing the inside of the helmet, you rondo the outside correct? and how many times? my second question is what is flex-it foam and how do you use it with the helmet? and lastly, after rondoing and sanding the helmet do you carve the details in? Again, thanks for the awsome videos!!!

continue watching the vids a bit, but the order goes something like this:

Resin outside of helmet

rondo inside of helmet

flex-it foam inside of helmet

start caving datails/ sanding pep lines

rondo outside of helmet

sand rondo 60 grit

sand rondo 80 grit

continue detailing

rondo outside of helmet in areas that need it/ patch any holes

sand rondo 60 grit

sand rondo 80 grit

use spotting putty to fill small holes

sand 120 grit

sand 220 grit

wash

inspect for air holes, patch with spotting putty

sand 120 grit

sand 220 grit

wash

let dry

seal

mold

cast

sand

trim

paint

add electronics

add visor

add padding

wear

BenStreeper said:
continue watching the vids a bit, but the order goes something like this:

Resin outside of helmet

rondo inside of helmet

flex-it foam inside of helmet

start caving datails/ sanding pep lines

rondo outside of helmet

sand rondo 60 grit

sand rondo 80 grit

continue detailing

rondo outside of helmet in areas that need it/ patch any holes

sand rondo 60 grit

sand rondo 80 grit

use spotting putty to fill small holes

sand 120 grit

sand 220 grit

wash

inspect for air holes, patch with spotting putty

sand 120 grit

sand 220 grit

wash

let dry

seal

mold

cast

sand

trim

paint

add electronics

add visor

add padding

wear

Thanks alot!!!

I'm completely confused then if 280 is the normal height. The measurements to the one I printed out had been left alone, so the height is 318mm, width is 278mm, and depth is 414mm yet the helmet can fit 2 heads in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back