HUD system PCB?

MicaHusky

Hey y'all!

I've been working on a system to have a HUD display in-suit that displays valuable info about your environment, in a somewhat compact package. I'm designing a PCB to have manufactured that will (potentially) integrate:
  • ESP32 microcontroller to run the whole show (has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, so there's the potential for allowing customization of the display with your phone)
  • RTC with a battery backup to keep time (a clock in your helmet!)
  • Temperature and humidity sensors (both internal inside the helmet, as well as optional external temp sensor to measure outside temp or your body's core temp)
  • Magnetometer (compass)
  • CO2/VOC sensor (how much CO2 is in your helmet, and are there VOCs around (like paint fumes, bondo, epoxy, etc etc. nasty stuff)
  • Small OLED display mounted somewhere in the helmet; which can be reflected off a mirror to have the right focal distance so you can actually focus your eyes on it and glance at it.
  • LiDAR Time-Of-Flight distance sensor (mount this to the back of your helmet with a little 2mmx4mm hole for it to see through, and you have an idea if there's something/someone behind you and rough distance to it; A REAL MOTION TRACKER!)
Here's a basic layout so far:
1711127558149.png

I haven't finalized the layout (I'm definitely going to be smushing the parts way closer together to make it as small as possible to fit in the helmet) but this is the basic idea. I put together a proof-of-concept in my MK6 helmet to have an okay depiction of what this will end up looking like. The one here is a 1.51" transparent OLED display from WaveShare; used because it was easier to mount it like this to not have it need to be mirrored in software (just flip the display around, you can see the lit pixels from both sides!)

1711127958172.png

You'd be focusing on the mirrored display on the bottom which gives you the equivalent of a display that is 6-8" away from your eyes; PLENTY of distance to comfortably glance down at.

The idea here is to have this built and then potentially make this something I could distribute. Estimated cost when all is said and done (all the sensors, the display, the PCB and manufacturing) would be about $45-50.

Does anyone have suggestions on what kinds of sensors/features you'd like to see in something like this? Give me input! This will be my 3rd major custom-PCB project I've had manufactured so I've done stuff somewhat like this before.

Though I have not looked at his thread in-depth, RandomRanger was working on a helmet HUD: Ranger's HUD (v2) || Ranger's HUD Progress || HUD element images
Perhaps you could gather some inspiration and information from his work..?

Best of luck.
I've actually got one of those VuFine displays kicking around, that was my original idea but I figured because you need a proper raspberry Pi to run the whole show it'd be nicer to just have a small microcontroller. You should be able to run my entire system with a single MicroUSB cable and it'd draw maybe 250-500mA. a little less involved and less like a "linux computer in your helmet" and more of a self contained HUD/sensor system on a single board.

This is such a cool idea and I'd be interested just to have a clock easily visible without having to continually ask someone else or dig out my phone while in costume.

Awesome! I look forward to seeing how the LIDAR pans out - I've got some non-halo projects on the plate that have severe visibility limitations in their helmets, so ranging rather than piles of cameras would be really useful for general awareness.

This us looking sick mate! I know that hacksmith got a motorbike masterchief helmet and set up a HUD display. It worked on identifying threats and such, but it might be worth checking out. AND A REAL MOTION TRACKER!!!! That's insanely awesome. Best of luck mate.

Id LOVE to have the time and external temp on a lil hud like that omg. What about a north/south compass? I assume that there is a way to some how change the time on the clock as well since I know some people travel between time zones (me, I'm people). Maybe a way to set an alarm where once it hits a certain time a little light blinks or it has a little speaker? Just ideas :)

Id LOVE to have the time and external temp on a lil hud like that omg. What about a north/south compass? I assume that there is a way to some how change the time on the clock as well since I know some people travel between time zones (me, I'm people). Maybe a way to set an alarm where once it hits a certain time a little light blinks or it has a little speaker? Just ideas :)

So the magnetometer is a literal compass, so the plan is definitely to have it show a little compass on the corner of the screen or something.

if you look at the PCB, it has 3 buttons - Hour, Minute, and Timezone :) by default I'll likely have it cycle between the 4 main North American time zones but I'm sure if people want it I could switch that behavior to all timezones. I could also just avoid the timezone button altogether and have you use the hour button..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back