Hughs Odst Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm almost done pepping that helmet and it's so easy.
I've been working on it on and off for the past three days, and it's just magnificent.
Inexperienced pep'ers should definitely try this out for practice.

PS: I was wondering, where do you buy butterfly clips?

Thanks broskis!

Edit: For the sniper goggle attachment, for it to fit properly, it has to be the same scale as the helmet, correct?

Do you mind if i use some of your stuff? i wont sell them. just like your stuff and was wondering if i could?
To build? For personal use? If your answer is yes, then the answer is YES!
The files are here for those of us that want to build an ODST suit, and want really good suits.

Do you mind if i use some of your stuff? i wont sell them. just like your stuff and was wondering if i could?

Good job asking though. If you aren't sure about whether or not you can use a file it's best to ask. The protection of 3D authors' work is pretty strictly enforced, so it's always best to clearify if you're unsure. Of course, in the first post Hugh makes the files available for download and actually showcases people using his files so all is well :p

They're wicked awesome files by the way.

Hey there everyone, I got myself a Hugh ODST helmet raw cast a week back, and I must say I am very impressed with the quality! Very nice build indeed! I finished it up, and I was surprised that the helmet fits, but it does and I am very pleased with it.

5456646177_ed7e5af236.jpg

5457251710_e3dfc2629f.jpg

It is a very nice helmet! Well done Hugh!

Hey there everyone, I got myself a Hugh ODST helmet raw cast a week back, and I must say I am very impressed with the quality! Very nice build indeed! I finished it up, and I was surprised that the helmet fits, but it does and I am very pleased with it.

Did you get the visor from him and if not where did you get it from? How did you install the visor? Were there any size issues with it?

wow! nice work on that! I got a cast of Hugh's V1 a few weeks ago and even THAT is amazing! looking forward to getting some bondo on it...

Sorry for the lack of updates on the legs. Been pretty busy at work. In fact, I got a raise today $_$

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and suggestions. I thought I'd answer some questions. Like I said before, I don't usually post back on my thread unless I have some new work to show so don't think I'm ignoring any of you!

holy schnike...
that looks awesome.

though i'm curious, looking at it i see around the neck area (not the actual collar thats obvious enough) that it looks like you used foam? is that so?
also, how did you go about fastening the core at the bottom

how in all did you go about putting it together in finale?
another tutorial perhaps? :)

oh and one other thing, what base color did you use for the armor?

Thank you sir! The neck guard was made from black foam sheets. 1/4 inch thickness I think. I put the template on the front page. But the new V2 Chest Core file has that part included in it. So you can pep it or use it as a template for foam. In the photos there is also part of my black flight suit sticking out from where I have the collar popped up. One of the few times having a popped collar actually looks cool...

I plan on getting a tutorial out someday. For the most part I just kind of figured things out as I went, keeping it as simple as possible.

The buckles on the bottom are on the inside. They can be kind of a pain to get at by myself, so I'm switching them up and putting them under the side rib pads.

The belt buckle, hip plates, butt pack, and cod piece are held together with a basic belt + old man suspenders for support. The belt buckle is actually mounted on a small strip of black nylon webbing I wear a bit higher than the belt. Hey, the simplest solution seems to work the best!

The base color for the armor is Tamiya color gun metal gray. It's great model paint, but super expensive for what it is. Typically the Tamiya spray paints come in 100 ml cans (the tiny sized cans) and you can find them in most hobby/model shops.

I've used several different gun metal paints but for some reason the Tamiya one always gives me the nicest finish with a subtle sheen that makes it look more metal like. It is also a tiny bit brighter than most gunmetal paints so you get a nicer contrast with black details on your armor.

I darkened some spots with black Rustoleum Auto primer and dry brushed the silver wear and tear with Krylon metallic spray. After I dry brush the metallic though it usually looks a little too bright so I go back over lightly with the gunmetal to blend everything together.

Thanks broskis!

Edit: For the sniper goggle attachment, for it to fit properly, it has to be the same scale as the helmet, correct?

No problem! Yeah, all of the files and attachments were modeled and unfolded at the same scale. So as long as you didn't adjust the scales yourself you should be good to go on all add-ons. In fact, you can import the sniper goggles and other .pdo files into the helmet file to see everything together in pep :)

I made all of my stuff available for everyone to use. All I ask is that the files remain for use in prop making/costuming.

Sir, this is amazing! I love what you did with the helmet. I am really sorry I didn't reply to this sooner. The color is perfect, and I'm sure the lighting made it that much better. Great set up! I may have to contact you in the future about possibly getting some stuff painted up for me haha.

Awesome job

Thanks again everyone for all of the support! I plan on finishing up the thighs, shins, and boots in the near future and getting better photos posted. I am really happy that members are finding these files useful.

You guys have really done some awesome stuff with these files and have helped me work out some issues before I even got to them. Thank you!

I really hope to see some of these ODST's at future conventions. Again for anyone that hasn't seen some of these ODST builds I posted links to their threads on the first post, check them out! And I'm not forgetting the other builds out there. There are other members with great work but they haven't given me permission to link their projects yet.

If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

-Hugh

in other words i nailed the color :) i use the Tamiya paints myself, and the gun metals have been in my selection for awhile now :) (my first ODST helmet build i made light GM, and reg GM i used on a custom statue i bought and broke the gun on... :/ damned tiny pieces are very fragile.. did not like the move well, so some glue and paint touch ups were a must!)
thanks for the info! i gotta get plugging away... if the weather would break though that'd help :p

though i think you misunderstood the neck part question, i was refering to the space below the guard/collar area. in the images it looks like you made something extra there in between the shoulder strap area down onto/above the chest.
Or is that all pep/paint and i'm just seeing a trick of light?
most noticible here above the chest plate but below the neck.
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac138/hsholderiii/Hughs ODST Project/110212_ODST_WIP_9.jpg
or am i misunderstanding and just not looking right for the pep for this? :/

and can't wait to see the legs.

in other words i nailed the color :) i use the Tamiya paints myself, and the gun metals have been in my selection for awhile now :) (my first ODST helmet build i made light GM, and reg GM i used on a custom statue i bought and broke the gun on... :/ damned tiny pieces are very fragile.. did not like the move well, so some glue and paint touch ups were a must!)
thanks for the info! i gotta get plugging away... if the weather would break though that'd help :p

though i think you misunderstood the neck part question, i was refering to the space below the guard/collar area. in the images it looks like you made something extra there in between the shoulder strap area down onto/above the chest.
Or is that all pep/paint and i'm just seeing a trick of light?
most noticible here above the chest plate but below the neck.
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac138/hsholderiii/Hughs%20ODST%20Project/110212_ODST_WIP_9.jpg
or am i misunderstanding and just not looking right for the pep for this? :/

and can't wait to see the legs.

The paint is great, I just wish I could get bigger cans of it!

Oops, sorry. I know what you are talking about now. That is also just three separate foam parts. I use foam like that on top of my pep parts to add panel line details. There is no pep for it though, I just cut out one whole part out of paper until it fit on the neck area, then used the paper to cut a foam part from. Then I cut the foam part into three pieces and glued them on there. I used the thin 1/4" black craft foam you can buy at craft stores.

For me layering foam on top of the hardened pep has worked out great.

Hi Hugh.
Your armor and helmet looks perfectly well. Good work, praiseworthy.)))

Question. What is RONDO? It is stronger than fiberglassresin?

Hi Hugh.
Your armor and helmet looks perfectly well. Good work, praiseworthy.)))

Question. What is RONDO? It is stronger than fiberglassresin?

RONDO is actually a mixture of fiberglass Resin, and bONDO (or any type of automotive body filler), bondo is just a brand of both. You can see a very good tutorial video by benstreeper here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/22923-How-To-Make-A-Helmet-From-Pep-To-Finish . He does a very good job describing how to mix the two together.

-Matt

I wouldn't want to say whether or not one is stronger than the other. Obviously the RONDO method is just easier, which is why I would guess that a lot of people do it. Some people actually pour their rondo mixture into a piece, and then lay fiberglass into it. I would guess that rondo by itself, is roughly as strong as fiberglass / resin inside a piece. It is ultimately up to you on which route you want to take, its just a matter of preference.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back