I have my base for the warthog im thinking about building

Status
Not open for further replies.
damnit, now you got me to thinking.

superimposeqe2.gif

this is the two superimposed. I used the cab size for comparison, using pics of the WETA warthog and a pic of a denali I pulled off of ebay motors. I used the hubs simply for placement, with the wheels removed.

With a 4 inch suspension lift, this would be badass. granted, you're gonna do the body from scratch, so you could just build the body high. The frame sits behind the tubular step, so its hidden, meaning its really up to you how you want to do it. without a body, you're not going to have to worry about tire clearance or suspension travel.

Big problem is the wheelbase. The front wheels aren't that big of a deal, but the rear axle is gonna be a bitch. Either you have to cut the frame, which isn't that big of a deal on a truck (but leads to alot of other problems, such as shortening the axle, rerunning fuel lines and wiring, etc etc.), or build an extended cab version of a warthog.

hood placement/clearance may be an issue, but If you go with a suspension lift, the body would drop, and everything should line up. couple of wheel well skins would hide the engine. personally, I'd go with a plexi window, or flat, multi angled glass for street legal. curved glass isn't cheap to get custom made - $5g's and up.

The more I think about it, an extended cab warthog would be badass. add an airsoft m249, you've got what can only be described as wicked awesome.

nice i relly like the Idea i will defently watch your progress !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Humungotron said:

superimposeqe2.gif

this is the two superimposed. I used the cab size for comparison, using pics of the WETA warthog and a pic of a denali I pulled off of ebay motors. I used the hubs simply for placement, with the wheels removed.

With a 4 inch suspension lift, this would be badass. granted, you're gonna do the body from scratch, so you could just build the body high. The frame sits behind the tubular step, so its hidden, meaning its really up to you how you want to do it. without a body, you're not going to have to worry about tire clearance or suspension travel.

Big problem is the wheelbase. The front wheels aren't that big of a deal, but the rear axle is gonna be a bitch. Either you have to cut the frame, which isn't that big of a deal on a truck (but leads to alot of other problems, such as shortening the axle, rerunning fuel lines and wiring, etc etc.), or build an extended cab version of a warthog.

hood placement/clearance may be an issue, but If you go with a suspension lift, the body would drop, and everything should line up. couple of wheel well skins would hide the engine. personally, I'd go with a plexi window, or flat, multi angled glass for street legal. curved glass isn't cheap to get custom made - $5g's and up.

The more I think about it, an extended cab warthog would be badass. add an airsoft m249, you've got what can only be described as wicked awesome.
He could always go for the troop transport hog for Halo 3?!

Humungotron said:

superimposeqe2.gif

My truck is shorter then the one you have pictured. That truck is the 4X4 Full Extended Cab, Long Box. I have a smaller extended cab. Well any ways I have some more pictures I need to post up. I'm sorry for the delays, I am very busy and have been feeling a bit under the weather. I will get them up ASAP

EDIT: Just read some back posts and I really like the information. I think CF or Fiberglass will probably be the way to go for the body panels. It will not take as long and I will be able to put more detail into the body.

I've done some (very little) work with CF, and for this I would recommend going with fiberglass. CF cloth costs at least 6x as much per yard, and for as much as you would need it just doesn't seem worth it. Especially since you won't see the cool CF patterns anywhere (which is why a lot of people use it), and you're not really worried about weight. Also, to do CF layup "right" you need to vacuum-bag it and bake it in a mold in order to cure the epoxy-resin correctly. You can lay it up just like you would with fiberglass, but then all you're doing is a really expensive fiberglass job. I think someone suggested using cardboard as a base shape and then fiberglassing over it, that's the route I would go, or something similar. Just for kicks though, here's the place where I've gotten CF and epoxy from: US Composites. compare the prices for yourself

CF cloth

Fiberglass cloth

~ Mid7night

good luck i can't wait to see it done, oh and i got dibs on gun but if theres no gun, dibs on shotgun

Col. McBride Tyson L. said:
My truck is shorter then the one you have pictured. That truck is the 4X4 Full Extended Cab, Long Box. I have a smaller extended cab. Well any ways I have some more pictures I need to post up. I'm sorry for the delays, I am very busy and have been feeling a bit under the weather. I will get them up ASAP
EDIT: Just read some back posts and I really like the information. I think CF or Fiberglass will probably be the way to go for the body panels. It will not take as long and I will be able to put more detail into the body.

You know what i think would work a suv a little shorter than a truck and it just might fit lol

marioknight92 said:
You know what i think would work a suv a little shorter than a truck and it just might fit lol

To bad he crashed his truck. :cautious:

Small update, sorry no pictures as I have not had time. My grandma just died the other morning, She had a long hard fight, and lived a happy fulfilling life. I will be away tending to the funeral and reading of the will. I will be away for a while, Be back in a couple of weeks with pictures. I am heading out for the Airport as soon as I hit send.

We'll miss you, and may your grandmother rest in piece.

My grandmother is on her deathbed right now and I'll be attending her funeral within the next 2 months..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back