ironman build + questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rensole117

Jr Member
Hey guys

I wanted to start an Iron man build but i was wondering what different kind of pepakura builds there were available for the ironman pepakura.
like different types ?
different kind of build types?

and also,

I can also fiber glass it bondo it but i cant plastic it.
would it be sturdy enough to use just bondo and everything for just normal cosplay use?
or would it like break and everything?
and if so would i be able to put another layer of fiber glass on top of the bondo ?

thx in forward guys n galls ^^

Hey guys

I wanted to start an Iron man build but i was wondering what different kind of pepakura builds there were available for the ironman pepakura.
like different types ?
different kind of build types?

There are several Peps out there, you will have to search for them unfortunately.

I can also fiber glass it bondo it but i cant plastic it.
would it be sturdy enough to use just bondo and everything for just normal cosplay use?
or would it like break and everything?
and if so would i be able to put another layer of fiber glass on top of the bondo ?

thx in forward guys n galls ^^

It will be sturdy with glass and bondo, just a little heavy.

Do not glass over the bondo you will loose detail, also bondo small areas at a time dont just cover the pep in bondo or rondo you will spend useless hours sanding and loose the detail you worked so hard to pep in.

Doug

The best well known pepakura files are from rob03687. I tried the Iron Man helmet and it came out OK. See my thread in my signature. I can tell you that it is very difficult. robo3687 combined all version of Iron Man in one ZIP file. You can pick and choose.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687s...vi-war-machine-delayed-details-pg-67-a-88147/

Fiberglass is out. Try Rondo (mixing Resin and Bondo) and there are some tutorials on how to apply it. You apply fiberglass inside, not outside. The problem with fiberglass is it is very time consuming and very hard to apply. When I used fiberglass on my kids costumes, I couldn't get into the tight spaces. Once fiberglassed the armor is as strong as you can get. To make it stronger you may want to apply more than 1 layer. Rondo is easier and could be heavy depends on how thick you want to apply.

On the outside, apply bondo/rondo sparingly. I would resin first and then Rondo. Detail areals can be highlighted with Resin. Any parts that require smooth surface, you apply Rondo. Apply too much and you are going to have a hard time removing the extras.

If done correctly, your armor can handle a lot of beatings before they come apart. My kids wore their costumes to their Karate class. They were able to run (slowly). The parts that disintegrated are the areas that I did not fiberglassed.

Hope that helps.

The bottom line is if you are looking for durability you will need to use glass.

You can get it in tight areas you just need to take your time like with anything else if are looking for nice results. If you use rondo inside the helm for support you will end up with an overweight helm that will not hold up over time. I would only go this route if you were going to cast the project.

hey guys,

thanks for the help so far, eum well i live in the netherlands and well i cant get any stuff for casting or rondo (dont even know what it is tbh :p)
all i know is that at a car shop around the corner i can get fiberglas stuff and i can get bondo (or atleast its simular to what you guys say it is here on the forum)

but with the ironman suit id need to fiberglass and bondo everything right ? cause well everything is like smooth if i take it correctly right ?

hey guys,

thanks for the help so far, eum well i live in the netherlands and well i cant get any stuff for casting or rondo (dont even know what it is tbh :p)
all i know is that at a car shop around the corner i can get fiberglas stuff and i can get bondo (or atleast its simular to what you guys say it is here on the forum)

but with the ironman suit id need to fiberglass and bondo everything right ? cause well everything is like smooth if i take it correctly right ?

You may want to spend more time reading through the forms before embarking on your project. It sound like you still dont have a graps on the different techniques that can be used to create your project.

Also so you understand Rondo is nothing more than Bondo mixed with Fiberglass Resin to give it a more liquid consistency.

Doug

Hey Doug

thanks for filling me in ^^

no i didnt know it and im more focused on finishing the pepakura files and then look at the next step
im more a "i'll cross the bridge once i get there" kindof person :p

also ive been trying to get the ironman helmet pepped and the eye's of it are kindof... fucked up (sorry for swearing) but its just really wierd... so what i was thinking was if there are any other people who made this pep who might be able to help me out ?

Yea I'm the same way when creating stuff as well...

When dealing with Pep builds all I can recommend is build it in sections, take your time, and make sure your folds are clean. There is alot of info on building pep files here but the key is having good tools to do the job, this includes sharp X-acto blades, a steal rule, and tacky craft glue. I will normally end up building the pep file twice to get the results I'm looking for.

ok cool well ive got those stuff (build some peps before but never things so detailed as this :p:D)
i got the faceplate done (including the eye's thank god)
gonna start working on the chin now im planning on actually finishing this entire thing maybe by the end of today (with some luck) :D

pics will come later today

Picture13.jpg

Picture12.jpg

Picture11.jpg

Picture10.jpg

unfortunatly something came up... my gf lol gonna get this thing finished by the end of the week i hope

by the way did anyone figure out the electronics for the ironman helmet ? like eum for the jaw to move down and the frontpiece to move up ?
cause id like to go all out with this badboy but yeah... ill need some help haha :D

Attachments

• Picture13.jpg
    Picture13.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture12.jpg
    Picture12.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Picture11.jpg
    Picture11.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture10.jpg
    Picture10.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 141
by the way, who knows what this ironman is called ?
New_Iron_Man.jpg

i wanna make it but i cant find allot of it :D anyone wanna let me know ?

Attachments

• New_Iron_Man.jpg
    New_Iron_Man.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 150
That helmet is looking really good man. Nice progress. The only thing I could find on this is that it is the new comic book version of the Iron Man suit. I couldn't find a specific name for it though. They supposedly made it in response to the Iron Man 2 movie.

hey vshore100,

yeah i heard the same but i couldnt find the new comic and tbh i like that armor waaaay more then the other armors out there.
i got the helmet finished atm but cant be @&$*# to make pictures now haha :D

im only thinking... i wanna add a robotic part to this like make the jaw drop a bit like in the movie and the faceplate move up.
is this done before if so... how :D

also i got a piece of plexy glas for the eyes but i wanna add led lights so all they see is light like in the movies but i wanna see decently how do i go about doing that?

edit:

found some info on it, Its called the bleeding edge and will be introduced to us in Invincible Iron Man #25. in april of this year :/
BUT i also found the toy makers website and ive seen most of the work of this bleeding edge and tbh it looks easy as hell to make :D
so im in :D:D:D:D
going to finish the last pieces of the helmet and then im going to start 3d modeling this badboy :D
gonna see if someone has a 3d printer who wants to print this badboy for me on the cheap :D

Hey Doug
...also ive been trying to get the ironman helmet pepped and the eye's of it are kindof... fucked up (sorry for swearing) but its just really wierd... so what i was thinking was if there are any other people who made this pep who might be able to help me out ?

I know which part you are referring to. The eyes are double-layered. The outer layer is easy. There is another layer where the pieces form like a "C". The C folds back onto itself and make an eye which connects to the outer layer of the eye. After I finished the helmet, I noticed that the second layer is not needed if you intend to wear the helmet. You just need to complete the first layer only. Hope this helps.

Its coming along very nicely. Looking forward to the next update! Im working on a Master Chief helmet at the moment, and im looking forward to making an Ironman helmet later on. Please keep us informed of your process! Good luck:)

thanks guys ^^ just need to do some fine lining so i think the entire finished product will be up later today ^^
so im guessing in 9 hours from now it will be done and uploaded ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back