Just Another Armor Newbie? Mjolnir Mk VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Abby, your build is looking great! I too am from Wisconsin haha great state.. except for all that snow lol massive storm last night broke down one of our trees Q.Q I never thought there'd be this many people from Wisconsin on here! Its exciting haha anyways, love the helm its looking great so far. I haven't reached the bondo stage in my build yet so I'll be keeping a close eye on this to see how you progress.
Good luck!!!
-Angela

gamestop huh? from what i can tell as a consumer. harden yourself because there will be many looks of dissapointment with people trading in their games and seeing the amount they will be getting for it.

And you'll need to work on the nice let down for every guy that comes in and hits on you. its gonna happen no matter what. trying to stop it is like trying to kill a hunter with a plasma pistol in halo 3

And you'll need to work on the nice let down for every guy that comes in and hits on you. its gonna happen no matter what. trying to stop it is like trying to kill a hunter with a plasma pistol in halo 3

I've always wondered how much the girl working at my local EB gets hit on... but I do believe asking her would make me seem all kinds of creepy.

Hey Abby, your build is looking great! I too am from Wisconsin haha great state.. except for all that snow lol massive storm last night broke down one of our trees Q.Q I never thought there'd be this many people from Wisconsin on here! Its exciting haha anyways, love the helm its looking great so far. I haven't reached the bondo stage in my build yet so I'll be keeping a close eye on this to see how you progress.
Good luck!!!
-Angela

Thanks! Woo! Another armor chick, eh? Not to mention your from Wisconsin, too. That's awesome :)
Winter snow storms in the middle of April... not uncommon at all hahaha. You know what they say about the weather in the midwest, if you don't like it, wait an hour.
I'll be sure to keep an eye on your Kat build! I was interested in starting that awhile back when Reach first came out, but considering there were no files yet, I didn't want to not start a project. But you're build is coming along very nicely!

gamestop huh? from what i can tell as a consumer. harden yourself because there will be many looks of dissapointment with people trading in their games and seeing the amount they will be getting for it.

Oh yeah, I imagine that'll be hard to deal with, especially hard to get used to.

Hahahaha, very true! I heard that Gamestop enjoys hiring girls who know their stuff.

Cool article I found just now. It's from 2005, but it's really cool! Not to mention she also had an interest in making armor!

Confessions of a Gamestop girl

Hmph... crazy!

I've always wondered how much the girl working at my local EB gets hit on... but I do believe asking her would make me seem all kinds of creepy.

It just might, hahaha. I'm sure she wouldn't mind!

Hey, sorry it's been quite awhile, guys. I've been rather busy and stressed out, so not much has gotten done. I've also been playing too much Black Ops... hmm, I'm going to have to fix that.
Anyway, just about done with the chest, once again. I've been rather disappointed with this one. First of all, I lost some pieces, so I'm going to have to print those back up. Second of all, my dog sat on some of the pieces, so I have minor warpage - totally bummed. I need to finish up my room so I can put in the table and cabinets I've been meaning to get done. School gets out in a month, so I'm sure I'll get a head start then.
Anyway, considering the chest is so time consuming and insidious to get done, I've been stalling, but now that I have this just about finished, the rest of the pepping should be a breeze. Speaking of breeze, the weather has been nasty. I was expecting things to warm up, but they did just the opposite! Guess I'll have to hold off on glassing.

I've found that not using edge IDs is SO much easier, so I may have to stick with it.

photo-52.jpg

photo-51.jpg

More to come!

Very nice Abby :D I have the same problems with my chest - really time-consuming and boring to do, and my cats like to walk over my paper xD

Yours looks very good though, what kind of glue do you use? I tend to get strands of hot glue all over mine :S

That looks really good AbbyWanKenobi! Your skills are da bomb!

Thanks, Blackula! You too! Your Commando helmet turned out SWEEEET!

Very nice Abby :D I have the same problems with my chest - really time-consuming and boring to do, and my cats like to walk over my paper xD

Yours looks very good though, what kind of glue do you use? I tend to get strands of hot glue all over mine :S

Ahhh, gotta love animals, huh? Haha.
Thanks! I gave Fabri-Tac a try on this chest and it worked pretty well. Easy to wipe off your fingers and off the paper when it's not totally dry. The only problem I found is that if there are pieces that hold more weight, you have to wait for the glue to dry totally so that the pieces don't pull partly apart. No big deal, actually.
I'd use hot glue, but considering how much excess glue I wipe off and smooth out that gets on my fingers, I'd rather not get burned.

Your armor is coming out great and the pepping is clean :)

My friend uses hot glue and he also gets strands all over the place apart from the burns but he says it works for him lol I use instant krazy glue with a brush

http://www.krazyglue.com/products/product.aspx?pc=KG988&g=4

they have it at Walmart by the painters aisle.. the color change effect acts like a timer for gluing and the brush kinda lets me control how much glue i use and if you get it on your fingers you have to peel it off like any other super glue :/ but it works out for me lol that's just my 2cents on the glue topic haha again great job and hope to see the complete suit :)

Your armor is coming out great and the pepping is clean :)

My friend uses hot glue and he also gets strands all over the place apart from the burns but he says it works for him lol I use instant krazy glue with a brush

http://www.krazyglue.com/products/product.aspx?pc=KG988&g=4

they have it at Walmart by the painters aisle.. the color change effect acts like a timer for gluing and the brush kinda lets me control how much glue i use and if you get it on your fingers you have to peel it off like any other super glue :/ but it works out for me lol that's just my 2cents on the glue topic haha again great job and hope to see the complete suit :)

Sounds good! I'll have to give it a try! :)

-------
OH jeez, I almost forgot.
Fourth.jpg

May the 4th! (be with you)
Yep, the 4th is international Star Wars day, guys, you've got to participate in some way or Obi Wan shall be disappointed!
International Star Wars day Facebook event: (CLICK)

Stay frosty guys!

-------
Fourth.jpg

Yep, the 4th is international Star Wars day, guys, you've got to participate in some way or Obi Wan shall be disappointed!

Stay frosty guys!

MMMMMMmmm.... as you know... I am also a huge fan of Starwars. Thanks for posting this.
This Spartan will be wielding a light saber for the duration of that day!
I'll have to take some pics too.

Now to business/inspiration:

I'm glad to see and hear that your pepping with out the edge ID's. Same way I did mine. From what I see. Your chest piece looks FANTASTIC. Its very clean, no warping, clean edges, sharp folds. Very well done. I'm still amazed at how well your skills are at this.
AbbyWanKenobi, your going to have an EPIC Spartan armor once your done. I can feel it.

Cheers!

Looks like your makin some great progress! I use hot glue, and I don't really mind the burns, but there is still the issue of the strings. I have not tried any kind of glue yet, eventually I'll have to get to that. I might have to try without edge ID's sometime. Keep it up!

-------
Fourth.jpg

Stay frosty guys!

O: How did I not know this!?

Must do something more Star Warsy then watching a movie or reading a book. Hm.

Thanks guys! I hope you all did something for International Star Wars day!

I finished my first go at the codpiece - chief sized - HUGE! Definitely on the list of armor I don't like doing... So the next one will be the final one.
Chest piece is pretty much good, too. Support struts would be a good idea, but it's pretty sturdy and fine, don't want to risk it, though, so I'll get those in soon.
Had a little trouble with the detail, but it'll be fine. As you see on the right side of the picture on the shoulder piece thing, I got lazy, so that one bend isn't clean. I had to trace the opposite shoulder piece because I lost the other one. Turned out fine, otherwise.

photo-53.jpg

photo-55.jpg

photo-54.jpg

Not easy to get that thing to sit straight.

photo-56.jpg

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

More to come.
Stay frosty!

Sa-weet! you have done a fine job with your pepakura skills abby! i hope mine turns out as good as yours! i guess we'll find out this weekend. i can't wait to see more:D your thread is a feast for the eyes. but good luck on the rest of your armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back