Kahnah's Reach Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's more Helm progress
reach001-4.jpg

reach003-7.jpg

reach005-6.jpg

reach006-3.jpg

WOW!!!! i hope mine will turn out like that!
one question though:
where did you find the pep for the thighs?

Well i found it here on sjsuspartans thread
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/23431-Reach-Armor-By-Spartan-029?highlight=sjsuspartan
you may have to look through it to find it, but if you take a look ing The Official Halo Reach Pep thread you should find it there along with a bunch of other peps that can be usefull
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24086-*The-Official*-Halo-Reach-Pepakura-Files-Thread

not sure why but i cant edit my posts
anyways i meant to put in this picture
pendejotrabajo068.jpg

and also the reason i went ahead and made a new torso out of foam was because the last chest i built didn't allow my chest to expand when i breath.

on a much lighter note here is a picture of what i believe my reaction would be riding in a drop pod
pendejotrabajo067.jpg

Oh kahnah...

I'm in love with your build..
Your undersuit is fantastic! Any tips on how you did it? I've been looking into using rubber but it's just so expensive over here..

And stop making that face Spartan! Your supposed to be a battle hardened soldier! :D

Oh kahnah...

I'm in love with your build..
Your undersuit is fantastic! Any tips on how you did it? I've been looking into using rubber but it's just so expensive over here..

And stop making that face Spartan! Your supposed to be a battle hardened soldier! :D

well I used a crafts product called foames.
they come in sheets and im sure any arts and crafts store carry them.
but as far as making it i just cut out shapes and glued them over eachother
real easy stuff...
and as far as that face im sure master cheif made that face after he found out he was the last spartan lol.

well I used a crafts product called foames.
they come in sheets and im sure any arts and crafts store carry them.
but as far as making it i just cut out shapes and glued them over eachother
real easy stuff...
and as far as that face im sure master cheif made that face after he found out he was the last spartan lol.

haaha, nice...

Hey man looks, amazing! I was just wondering, how do you paint it like that? it looks awesome!

haaha, nice...

Hey man looks, amazing! I was just wondering, how do you paint it like that? it looks awesome!

even easier just find some flat black spray paint and give it three coats.
if you try and do it in one the foam will absorb it and you may gets spots of darker color instead of a nice even look.

Clean work! Gonna try and utilize as much of the foam stuff as I can.

The only criticism I'd offer is on your weathering. It already looks fairly good, but on the edges, it looks like spray paint. No one who doesn't mess with this stuff will probably know, but you may want to scuff the blue up a little bit along the edge where it meets the gunmetal and get some additional scratches further up. I think if you run a 120 grit sandpaper around the edges, then a 60 grit just to get some scratches, you'd be gold. Just what ya have is better than what I would be able to do freehand, I'd have to mask to make sure I didn't overspray somewhere, or cheat and use a sponge for the edge. Personally, I wouldn't do much at all to the thigh outside of a couple of scuffs here and there. It looks fairly natural as it is. It's the shin that has more of a hard line where the two paints meet.

How do the foamies on the undersuit breathe?

Your attention to detail is impressive! Compared to pepping, how hard are the foamies?

Thank you, the foamies are not hard at all. Its more of a spongy material that is soft and bends like paper. On the other hand the floor mats i used for the chest are a bit harder and dont bend much. In my oppinion i would only use the foamies and floor mats for either the undersuit or chest armor only because they are flexible.

Clean work! Gonna try and utilize as much of the foam stuff as I can.

The only criticism I'd offer is on your weathering. It already looks fairly good, but on the edges, it looks like spray paint. No one who doesn't mess with this stuff will probably know, but you may want to scuff the blue up a little bit along the edge where it meets the gunmetal and get some additional scratches further up. I think if you run a 120 grit sandpaper around the edges, then a 60 grit just to get some scratches, you'd be gold. Just what ya have is better than what I would be able to do freehand, I'd have to mask to make sure I didn't overspray somewhere, or cheat and use a sponge for the edge. Personally, I wouldn't do much at all to the thigh outside of a couple of scuffs here and there. It looks fairly natural as it is. It's the shin that has more of a hard line where the two paints meet.

How do the foamies on the undersuit breathe?

Thank you so much for the tip. honestly im not a fan of the paint job ive been doing and for the life of me i couldnt find a useful tut. As far as the undersuit its really hot. it doesnt alow air to flow through, but in my case im going to wear this for holloween and it gets nice and cold so it should contain my body heat well.

thanks kahnah!
im definitely going to be looking into using them as the undersuit! :D

Its a cheap way to get the job done. by the way your build was awsome. I cant wait to see how you make it better. good luck and keep up the fantastic work.

From what I can tell from the pics, I think you're hitting way more than you're missing on the paint job. I'd think just some sanding and scuffing with a sanding block would be able to further the look. It's a technique that I'm still playing with, but the pieces I've done it on seem like they turn out better than only using resists. I'm going to run into the same problem when I get to the paint part of my build. It's just gotta look like the blue was scuffed off the gunmetal through continued pounding and battle, and that's hard to reproduce on a prop.

even easier just find some flat black spray paint and give it three coats.
if you try and do it in one the foam will absorb it and you may gets spots of darker color instead of a nice even look.

Or just 1 coat primer 2 coats paint and 1 coat clear coat to seal it...

From what I can tell from the pics, I think you're hitting way more than you're missing on the paint job. I'd think just some sanding and scuffing with a sanding block would be able to further the look. It's a technique that I'm still playing with, but the pieces I've done it on seem like they turn out better than only using resists. I'm going to run into the same problem when I get to the paint part of my build. It's just gotta look like the blue was scuffed off the gunmetal through continued pounding and battle, and that's hard to reproduce on a prop.

Well im definately going to have to go back and redo the paint. also do you have a thread on your build, id really like to see your work.

Or just 1 coat primer 2 coats paint and 1 coat clear coat to seal it...

you know i never tried that but im sure it would workout great.

Chest 2.0
DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

still need to paint some areas and clean up some paint drips, but its new and improved, and i like it a lot. ill have to take another picture to show that its a bit slimmer and looks a hell of a lot better then the previous one.

also its back to square one
DSC_0090.jpg

Im working on the unfinished arm and leg and im really cramming for time since im planning on this being my Halloween costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back