KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
LilTyrant,

Are you anywhere near 5'3ish and 100 pounds... if so can I get the scale number you used to make the Chest piece and possible the pattern xD

I'd like to start making my wife a suit... but I HATE scaling that armour... she is tiny xD (ive heard smaller armour is tougher..)
Anyways amazing job thus far!!! LOOKING GREAT =D keep the work up!!!

Jeeze.. where I have I been? Your chest piece is super clean. You've really pushed the full potential of the foamies here. It looks like it fits you really well too. Excuse me while I read the posts rather than just looking at the pictures. Weeeeee!

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

-----

@Nessy:
Hahaha, thanks. I wish I had gotten Friday off! Sadly, I had to work. For the 5 months between New Year's and Memorial Day, I get a total of zero holidays. Boo :(. It's ok though... that's what weekends are for.

@Mstruvmgc:
Thanks and no problem! Glad you're liking the build :)

@AuRon:
Thank you! But I can't take credit for the parachute clip thing. I learned that trick from Annanymous's awesome Mark VI "Sister" Build. It is definitely handy to have! One thing I'm noticing about it though: if you are not very flexible, I would not recommend putting your clips as far back as I put them (otherwise you will not be able to get the chest on by yourself). I am able to get my piece on/off without assistance, but it is tricky even though my arms are pretty flexible.

@ Nogood:
Hahaha....super freaky coincidence!!! Check your pm's, I sent you some size info. As for making small armor, I'm not having a problem with it...but then again, proportionately it doesn't seem small to me :p

@RoxyRoo:
Thanks :) :)! I definitely learned a lot about foam from watching your build. You have a ton of awesome pointers on there!

-----

Ok guys, as promised it's...

UPDATE TIME! :)

I made some progress on the chest piece seals, but not quite as much as I had hoped. Vinyl likes to be a pain :(. I finished the neck seal and the right (mechanical) arm seal, but I still need to do the left arm. The left arm seal will pretty much be the right arm seal, plus an extra underlayer shoulder pad type of thing.

I decided to go with the marine vinyl on the seals, instead of foam. It took a bit longer than foam would have, but I thought the vinyl would give a nice texture change, as well as add a little more flexibility and range of motion. The seals are mounted with velcro tabs so that I can adjust positioning as needed, or remove the seals when it's time to paint the chest piece. The arm seal also splits in the same location as the armor, so it still opens for easier assembly.

Here's what I've got so far:

Post_4_00.jpg

And what it looks like with the undersuit neck seals:
Post_3Seals_00.jpg

When I'm wearing it, the textured layer of the undersuit neck seal doesn't actually sit that high. My mannequin's neck is just way larger than mine, so I can't pull the bottom seal layer all the way down where it should be.

-----

Next up: I'll probably wrap up the left arm seal, then move on to the cod. I think I want to get the cod position in place before I tackle the ab plate and spine so that I'll have another point of reference.

Enjoy the week everyone! :) And, as always, your thoughts/input are welcome! :D

Ahh so jealous of your sewing skills. The vinyl adds some crazy awesome detail and depth to the chest piece. I may have to play around more with my leftover vinyl and see if I can't make my exposed areas a little more interesting.

Wow, that vinyl looks AMAZING for the seals. This build is going to make Elite thread for sure. Looks like I am going to have to post more replies and get my infantryman status so I can congratulate when that happens!

I haven't seen anyone do the seals in vinyl before. I think it looks way better than foam. Worth the extra effort for sure. Keep up the good work!

Wow, that looks spot on it does. I am liking it very much! forgive me for being a dork and saying this, but YOU GO GIRL!! lol

Thanks guys, you all make me smile :D :D
-----
Ahh so jealous of your sewing skills. The vinyl adds some crazy awesome detail and depth to the chest piece. I may have to play around more with my leftover vinyl and see if I can't make my exposed areas a little more interesting.
Thanks! The more you do it, the more comfortable you will become :). Vinyl has some especially annoying habits, so the more practice you have playing around with it, the better! I feel like if I don't use vinyl even for a few weeks, I have a learning curve getting used to it again! Just remember: the vinyl may want to try and stick to your foot, so you'll probably have to muscle it through a little.

Sweet fancy Moses!
Looks killer and the undersuit fits perfectly.

Another great update.

Cereal.
Hahaha. Thanks, Cereal! Lovin' your updates, too :)

Wow, that vinyl looks AMAZING for the seals. This build is going to make Elite thread for sure. Looks like I am going to have to post more replies and get my infantryman status so I can congratulate when that happens!

I haven't seen anyone do the seals in vinyl before. I think it looks way better than foam. Worth the extra effort for sure. Keep up the good work!
Thank you Nessy, you are way too kind :D! I don't know about Elite status, but I'm glad you're diggin' the vinyl :). It definitely was more time consuming!!

wow, i really like how that vinyl looks, and the way it looks with the undersuit is just awesome, keep it up :)
:) Thanks, Cinderblock!

Wow, that looks spot on it does. I am liking it very much! forgive me for being a dork and saying this, but YOU GO GIRL!! lol
:D Hahaha, thanks. This literally made me lol (in a good way). Erm... girl power?

Looks fantastic with the foamies to make it look so smooth and the neck seal area is even more awesomesauce :p
Yay! Awesomesauce! Thanks, mustang :)

-----

I'll try and see if I can make another arm seal appear sometime in the near future...

Truely inspiring work you're doing, i will definitely look to this thread when its time to start my own underarmor! Stay awesome!

i think it's a shame that you'll end up painting that chest. i think it looks amazing now in the white and black foam, all the seams are hidden or cut to such fine detail that they match together perfectly, and with the added details of the neck and arm seals and genuine undersuit to boot it's the very pinnacle of an elite suit in the making. i've already subscribed to this thread long ago, but it's one that i'm gonna keep watching 'til completion for sure. keep up the amazing work :D

Man you and roxy are really raising the bar for foam builds! Loving the look of that collar. Looking forward to he next instalment of pics :)

The care and detail you are putting into this is awesome!
And your not rushing along... I dont think its a coinsidence!!
Great things take time... And this is great!

Cheers girly!
Dave.

Just remember: the vinyl may want to try and stick to your foot, so you'll probably have to muscle it through a little.

I had to reread this because it made me laugh, but of course you must mean your sewing machine's foot rather than the thing at the end of your leg. Still, funny mental picture of someone kicking their vinyl around trying to get it off their foot... lol. Thanks again for the updates!

Honestly I think you have just created one of the best looking neck seal areas on a Reach suit that I have seen on these forums so far. Excellent job and im jelly, all I have is a big open space in my Reach suit

I'm feeling like a bit of a vegetable right now, so I probably won't have any progress until then.

Stay tuned and happy building to you all! :D

LilTyrant... I am not sure if "vegetable" is the right word in this sentence.. most people say hungry or I'm in need of food... * unless you are a vegen... do you eat meat? Hahaha I just poking fun :)

Nice suit ( i'm sure i'm the only one that told you that ) and keep up the (amazing) work =D
Amazing work with the craft foam- I'm going to get me some of that and put it on my Mark 5 build I'm working on =P

Anyways amazing suit and super awesome sewing skills- I believe you sew that leather onto the suit... =P amazing anyways!! You got a great gift , use it wisely :)

And what it looks like with the undersuit neck seals:
Post_3Seals_00.jpg

My God!!! Dudette, that is awesome! Is it comfortable to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back