KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow if this dont get elite status when finished for the undersuit alone i will protest with picket signs and everything lol

I'm pretty sure she'll get Elite Status. Just look at all of the work she's done so far, and she isn't even done!

This is just not even fair; I am so jealous. I left the forum for a while and now that I'm back there are so many good costumers I've never heard of before. This is by far the best under-suit that I have personally seen, and I'm sure it'll be at the top for a long time. It's rare that you come across someone with such sewing skills. I'm definitely looking forward to your full costume. I'm sure it will be amazing.

Your attention to detail is Amazing! You take the saying, "Measure twice cut once" to a whole new level! The entire build so far is just outstanding. The finished product will be something to see! Keep up the good work.

:D :D

I'm totally speechless, guys. I was so shocked when I logged on today and saw all of your comments!!! You are all way too nice. I'm going to become spoiled rotten.

Seriously though... thank you all for checking out the build and taking the time to leave a few words. It is definitely much appreciated!!!

-----

@ Cereal:
Hahaha. Your WTF literally made me lol. Thank you for the compliment :)

@Kill Kill Kill:
Thank you, and I'm glad you're finding the build helpful!

@ Kirra:
Thanks! I highly recommend the DIY undersuit. It's more fun that way :p

@ Surr3nder:
Thank you! Cortana or Kat would both be awesome. I've been using in game screen shots and google images for reference on Kat specific armor. I tried a chest size study using this file, but it wasn't really what I was looking for so I decided to do it more from scratch. RoxyRoo, Drack, Hyperballistik, and Nick Nack Patty Whack all have foam builds that I've found to be both inspirational and helpful.

@ Katsu:
Thanks, dude! I'm also interested to see what happens with the robot arm :p... As for the paint, I'll be trying to get as close to Kat's armor as I can. So if she's got battle damage, then battle damage there will be!

@ Breach:
Thanks! Sadly, I am faaaaaaaaar too small to be a real Spartan! The shoulder pad is sewn onto the arm seal, which is velcroed into the chest piece. I think it allows my shoulder to have more range of motion that way, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

@DeRanKeR:
Thank you. I'm sure you've got some neat stuff, too :)

@vshore:
Thanks. Your neck seal is pretty freakin' snazzy, too!

@thorn:
Thank you, thorn! And it's never too late to learn to sew!

@Nogood:
Lol :)

@Amaya:
But it's so much more fun to make your own armor! :p

@Toja:
Thank you Toja! :)

@Bishorzidi:
:D You can always learn to sew!

@Dystorted:
Thanks! You've got a neat build going yourself!

@Mustang and ACDC:
You guys are way too nice!!! Thank you :D :D

@Coldevil:
:) Thanks. It may be awhile before the costume is complete though...I still have a loooong way to go!

@Zoidian:
Haha. You're seeing the end result...so what you don't see are all the messed up scraps strewn across my floor! Lol :)

@Sangheilioz, Chiefy, Mstruvmagc, Puercuco:
Thank you, guys :)

-----

We're in the middle of presentations at work, so unfortunately that means...not a lot of time at home. But I will do my best to have any update for you all soon!

'Til then... happy building to you all!

Usually I can't get around to an update until Sunday night, but by some freak occurrence....

It's Update Time!

I've just added the ab plate, so nothing big...but progress is progress! :) This time I didn't use any of the 1/2" foam...it's all the 6mm and 2mm craft foam.

Separate from the chest piece:
Post_AbOnly_Shrunk_00.jpg

With the chest piece (*note: it's just taped in right now, I haven't totally decided yet if I want to just glue it in place, or strap it):
Post_Three_00.jpg

And some close ups:
Post_CloseUp_00.jpg

Yay! :)

-----
Next up: I'll probably tackle the cod. Unless I change my mind again :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome

Wow, your suit is coming together so well! Keep up the awesome work and keep the updates coming!

This suit is sick! Your cuts, glues, angles, shape, fit, undersuit ........ dang girl all of it is just too perfect! Love it!

Usually I can't get around to an update until Sunday night, but by some freak occurrence....

It's Update Time!

I've just added the ab plate, so nothing big...but progress is progress! :) This time I didn't use any of the 1/2" foam...it's all the 6mm and 2mm craft foam.

Separate from the chest piece:
Post_AbOnly_Shrunk_00.jpg

With the chest piece (*note: it's just taped in right now, I haven't totally decided yet if I want to just glue it in place, or strap it):
Post_Three_00.jpg

And some close ups:
Post_CloseUp_00.jpg

Yay! :)

-----
Next up: I'll probably tackle the cod. Unless I change my mind again :p

Dang, girl!!! My mind is literally blown right now by the amount of work you're putting into your suit!

Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
(Sigh)...
You know... It looks like a casting.
That is how clean it looks! I am so impressed with your foam build, it is going to look totally sick when it's done!

Fantastic work!
Dave.

Ab plate looks awesome, The lines and seams are so clean on this part.....It just blows my mind. Needless to say I'm very impressed with you're skills in foam work.:cool

wow! this looks really fantastic, i just love all the details and effort your putting into this!(i especially love your undersuit!)keep up the fabulous work!

It's simply amazing how well that chest fits you, the gaps are nearly noexistant and with the undersuit... You might end up with a legacy caliber build. :D Just a quick question and im sorry if you stated it already but what is your method for cutting the foam so cleanly?

Thanks everyone for the comments! :)

I'm still slowly working on the cod, but no meaningful progress as of yet...

-----

But in the meantime...

@ Axel, ACDC, Annanymous, Mstruvmgc, Valcara:
Thank you all. I appreciate the comments :D

@ drack:
Thanks, drack. That means a lot coming from such a master foam builder as yourself! :)

@ Cereal:
Lol, thanks! It must be a trick of the camera :p

@im13g10nd:
Thanks, dude. Don't belittle your work! You've got a crazy ambitious build going on :)

@ Hyper:
Haha, thanks :). In all seriousness though, while I've never made armor or built anything out of EVA foam before, I do a fair share of model making/sculpting at work...so I have had practice working in the 3rd dimension (but on a much smaller scale):p

@ thorn:
Thank you, sir! I think it looks cleaner in the photo than it does in person, but shhhhhhhh don't tell........:p

@ Tenebrus:
Thanks!! I think it definitely helped out to build a cardboard size study, and to make a more custom pattern for the foam. As for the cutting, I've just been using a regular ol' X-acto. Most of the edges are beveled, which I create just by cutting at an angle. Fresh blades are definitely a must! Craft foam can also be helpful to cover unruly seams.

@ride mars:
I'm planning on doing foam for the helmet, but I will probably save that for last. I think the helmet may be the trickiest bit, so I want as much foam practice as I can get before I get to that part :p

-----

Keep buildin' guys! :)

Wow! incredible craftsmanship! your work is deffinatly paying off :) keep up the great work

Also were you able to get some marines vinyl at joan's fabrics? on my last visit I dont recal seeing any.

I cant even express how awsome this build is. your attention to detail is baffiling. your ab plate looks awsome but can we see it with the undersuit underneath it? Im sure it will look amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back