LongShot-X's Mark VI HD MJOLNIR Armor - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are like 1 step to finish your armor and Im like a 1000 jaja, you really work a lot in this. Again awesome job.

Well I did have the whole day off. --and-- This thing is very addicting.
For one thing, I know that my Bondo'ing skills are getting better and better. How? I'm using less and less Glazing/Spot putty as I progress to each piece. I'm hoping that by the time I get to the helm, my 1st pepped piece. That I can clean up all of my "noob" imperfections. LOL

Thanks & Cheers!

haha this is awesome! another question for ya though longshot... you say that you have to slide the magnets apart, yet the parachute clip is perpendicular to the magnet. how do you manage to slide them apart without breaking the clip?

I don't! I have to PULL straight to get the piece off. Yes it really does require some muscle to do. But that's what I wanted.

Good question.

longshot, did you rescale any of the shoulder pieces and do you plan on putting in a voice ampliflier or changer into the helm? also your websites is coming along very nicely and the armor.

longshot, did you rescale any of the shoulder pieces and do you plan on putting in a voice ampliflier or changer into the helm? also your websites is coming along very nicely and the armor.

Yes I did rescale the shoulder pieces. In fact I had to rescale everything. I have no plans to add a voice amplifier. The combination of the mic, notebook, and 4 speakers will act as the voice amplifier... and more!

I don't! I have to PULL straight to get the piece off. Yes it really does require some muscle to do. But that's what I wanted.

Good question.

some muscle indeed haha! i remember my dad showing me some of those and i almost took a finger off trying to get them apart :eek keep up the good work!

such and incredible build! any ideas on how your going to be connecting the cod piece?
i still don't know why this is in the noob forum, someone's got to move this out at least to the creation area! :p

such and incredible build! any ideas on how your going to be connecting the cod piece?
i still don't know why this is in the noob forum, someone's got to move this out at least to the creation area! :p

I do indeed! I'll be implementing that procedure today. In fact It's so simple that I am HOPING to make it today's turtorial with pics. Keep in mind what works for me may not work for others. Not everyone body is built the same.
As for the creation area... I agree that the Creation area is more "Fitting" to this thread. On the other hand I kinda like it in the Noob section. I'll ask it to be moved to the creation section at a later date.

Cheers!

I do indeed! I'll be implementing that procedure today. In fact It's so simple that I am HOPING to make it today's turtorial with pics. Keep in mind what works for me may not work for others. Not everyone body is built the same.
As for the creation area... I agree that the Creation area is more "Fitting" to this thread. On the other hand I kinda like it in the Noob section. I'll ask it to be moved to the creation section at a later date.

Cheers!
sounds like plan, im interested in your method.. *whilst sneakily see if it will work for my kat cod...* hehe ;D

I think that it will. Wait and have a look. I'm working on it right now. Pics will be up later on tonight...

LED Tutorial in due time. I still have to do it to the forearms, sholders, chest and helm...

dude i cant wait cause i got alot of spare blue leds that i want to use for this dude

LOL... I know EXACTLY how you feel! Cause I have 100's of LED's and resistors. You'll have to stay tuned and wait for the LED Tutorial.

Minor progress update... Strapping for the Cod piece is done. Than mean the next logical course of action is. PUT IT ON and TEST IT! Then post all the pics etc...

Cheers!

Progress Update

Strapping the cod!

This one is easy yet it requires lots of Pics!!!!!
I do have a mistake that I'll need to fix later. Otherwise this works.

Very Important! --- What works for me may not work for you! My waist is smaller than my hips. For you it might be the other way round. You might have a larger waist than your hips. This procedure works if you have the smaller waist. Why you may ask? Simple this version of Cod strapping supports nothing but the cod pieces. This "belt" will be free floating.

Also. You need to make sure that the Cod and the Butt plate are fiber glassed REALLY STRONG. I used 2 layers of fiberglass cloth and 1 layer of fiberglass matt.

The Setup:
Epoxy, Soldering Iron, 2 strips of webbing each 2 feet in length. 4 Parachute clips. 8 Chicago screws and posts, 4 Tri-Glide Buckles, 1 sheet of paper, 1 hole punch (or something that can make holes in paper) --- most of this stuff is from Ithica's "Complete Noob list". You'll also need 16 washer that fit onto the Post

im000094.jpg

Take your Chicago Post and a washer
im000117.jpg

Put the washer onto the post
im000118.jpg

Epoxy or Fiberglass the post onto the Cod, Pouches and Butt Plate. I used LOTS of epoxy for this. Don't be shy about it.
Here is where I made my mistake. On the Cod and Butt Plate, I positioned the posts too far apart from each other. They need to be moved 1-1.5 inches closer to each other. Easy Fix for another day
Moving along!
im000078.jpg

The belt pouches get 2 posts... side by side to prevent spinning on the belt.
Let every thing harden. Again lots of epoxy. Cover the whole washer and under it too!
I'm using the washers for extra support. I have been reading that the posts (by themselves) have a tendency to break off. The washer will help to prevent this.
In fact this is so strong that I had to Grind off a misplaced post.
im000077.jpg

after all the posts have hardened. Poke the female Parachute clip onto the posts for the Cod and Butt Plates. You want the end of the clip to be just on the inside of the piece.. Mine stick out too far. Easy fix.
im000085.jpg

Next. cut 2 pieces of square paper. Hole punch the centers. Place them onto the post with the chute Clip. Put a washer on. Put a screw on. In my case I also epoxied the screws and the washer. The paper is to protect the female chute clip from any resin or epoxy. I wanted the clip to be able to freely rotate and "give" a little.
im000086.jpg

My posts were quite long... So I had to cut them down to the correct size. Unfortunately that meant that the screw had no threads to screw into. I had to be creative and shave off some of the threads on the screw. Then push the screw head into the post. That's also why I'm using epoxy IN and ON the screws.

im000091.jpg

Next... the webbing.
im000096.jpg

The belt pouch is the key piece to all of this! It will be used to adjust the belt for the Cod and the Butt plate. Position the webbing like so. Add the sliders like so.
im000099.jpg

Add the Male clips.
im000102.jpg

Now use the soldering iron to burn the holes for the posts.
Poke the webbing through like so.
im000103.jpg

Add the washers.
im000104.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Progress Update Part 2

Add the Screws.
im000105.jpg

If your like me... You can skip the washers and do it this way.
im000106.jpg

Grommets
im000107.jpg

Then the screws.
im000110.jpg

Finish off feeding the webbing through all of the pieces.
I might have to trim the posts down just a bit. Another day!
im000112.jpg

Start connecting!
im000114.jpg

Test it all out. Use the sliders on the Pouch piece to adjust the belt. I have mine as tight as it can go... again due to miss placement of the Cod and Butt plate posts.

img00012905.jpg

Hey if you don't try it, you can't learn from it.
img00012915.jpg

Back shot
img00012916.jpg

Cheers!
img00012928.jpg

Progress Update

Velcro the Boots. Update!

During my strapping of the cod test. I had the opportunity to Test the velcro on the boots.

Good news and Bad news. The good news is that the velcro stays on the back part of the boot as planned. The Bad news is that the velcro is so strong that the velcro on the inside of the heel piece came off. Easy fix!

I'm using the Shoo Goo to put a nice thick bead long the velcro on the heel piece. Same process as I did with the boots. Ugh... another 2-3 days for hardening.

im000123.jpg

Cheers!

As always, LongShot-X, excellent work!!! I am astounded, impressed, and thankful for all of the really great ideas and insights you bring to the table. Not to say that the product itself isn't absolutely stellar, because it is, but I think that this thread might deserve Elite status for the process more than the product. There are some other great projects out there, but very few go into such painstaking details regarding their actual creation. You have provided an excellent resource for noobs and experienced costumers alike. For this, I salute you. Well done, and thank you!!

Ok here's a quick question, then a serious one: How did you get so epic? Serious: Is it ok to make a plate on the bottom of your boots/ sit down on the codpeice? I know that these things are quite strong but I don't know about sitting down.... everyone seems to stand for hours at conventions and junk.... So.... What's the deal with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back