LongShot-X's Mark VI HD MJOLNIR Armor - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a quick question about how you sanded your armor: what method did you do for finding and filling the tiny nicks that the 2nd coat of spot putty didnt seem to fill and did you use the electric sander for the finishing sanding as well?

On a side note, awsome job!
-Gryphon

Thanks! I would use a light coat of primer to find the tiny nicks. Then use the spot putty again to fill them. I did not use the electric sander for sanding them. I used 400 grit sand paper and sanded them by hand. Sometimes I would go to a 600 or even an 800 grit to get a nice polish.

Good luck with your build!

Cheers!

FYI.

My webserver's HDD has failed. :(

So none of the pics that I have posted will show up until I get the replacement drive up and running. Currently I'm attempting to recover the data from the old drive to the new drive.
Unfortunatly my last back up was BEFORE I started this project. Sooo... I'm hoping that the pics will recover with out data loss.

Should be a few days to a week. (It's a 2 TB drive)

Cheers!

Thanks, but could you clarify somthing about the primer?
Did you leave the primer on and just add the spot putty on top of the primer, or did you sand the primer off and just mentally note the location of the imperfections?
Also, the reason I asked about the sander because I believe I saw one in one of your pictures.

-Gryphon

Thanks, but could you clarify somthing about the primer?
Did you leave the primer on and just add the spot putty on top of the primer, or did you sand the primer off and just mentally note the location of the imperfections?
Also, the reason I asked about the sander because I believe I saw one in one of your pictures.

-Gryphon

It depends... If the imperfection was super tiny... I would just spot putty that spot. If the imperfection was larger, I would hand sand the primer off and then spot putty.

I used the sander for the lower grit sanding.

:)

Web server is restored and running. Pics should be showing up in the threads. :)

happy belated bday man. also, any idea on a time frame for that LED tutorial? I wanna take my helmet to the next level and you set the bar high, so why not try your way

happy belated bday man. also, any idea on a time frame for that LED tutorial? I wanna take my helmet to the next level and you set the bar high, so why not try your way

Thanks!

As soon as I have finished moving and get my workshop up and running. I do have a few more LED's to add to the suit. Sooo... the LED tutorial is still a go!

The tutorial will cover the following:
- list of the tools that you will need.
- List of all the parts you will need and where I got them from.
- dremeling out the hole
- frosting and cutting the plexiglass
- mounting the plexiglass
- cutting/soldering the wires to the LED's with resistor(s), battery and switch.
- mounting the LED's, battery, and switch
- dealing with the light leakage

At the rate that things are going.. I'd say late November, early December. Hoping for sooner. :)

Cheers!

worth the wait for sure.

Yup, most definitely. Good luck with your move, Longshot. Can't wait to see how the rest of the tweakings go. I have another friend interested and is following your work, but he's not a member of the 405th....YET..... :p anyway, keep us posted, as usual! You're an inspiration to us all.

I sure will.

Right now my so called "Work shop" is being used as temporary storage. Once I have finished moving out of my old suite, I can then start to clean up the workshop and then continue on my projects. One of them being that LED tutorial that keep putting off. The other is to post more pics that I have taken of Haloween and MC doing the Kinect games.

cheers

Hoping to get ALL of the LED's in place today.

The computer, Cortana, has one issue to be worked out. Placement! There is not quite enough room on the inside of the torso. That depends upon which notebook I use. There are a few places on the exterior that I am considering:
- Lower back, below the torso
- On the back of the torso. I'll disguise her as some sort of prop/weapon and magnetize her to the back.
- On the lower front, under the ab plate.
- Or I can take the notebook apart and distribute the components on the inside of the torso. I am a computer tech with lots of notebook experience.

Cortana will serve a few functions:
- Power the 4 USB speaker system
- Act as a PA for the Helmet Mic
- Play MP3's. I have all 3 Halo sound tracks and more.
- I'll turn on and add voice activated commands. Such as: "Cortana." (Yes Chief) "Play tunes" (Yes Chief) <music plays>.
- I'll move the volume controls from the speakers to a more easier location on the lower side part of the chest.
- I can add voice changing apps for the mic.
- I can add a webcam to the inisde of the helm (behind the visor and looking out) and record what the helm is pointed at. There's room.
- Lot's of possiblities.

But that will be for another day!

Time to start the last day of work!

Cheers!

I would actually suggest using a small netbook computer for the computer system (Cortana) and placing it in the small of your upper back between the shoulder blades, and create a small vent opening for the back of the netbook which will allow it to breath and vent out the heat that it will produce. However, this is all based upon the idea that you haven't gotten this far, or are in the middle of doing this.

Because of your determination I am going to work twice as hard to build my version of Noble Six's armor. The version I want to make is based on my version of the armor from Halo Reach. My version of Six's armor is a mix of the reach armor and ODST armor. However, the only parts I want to use from the ODST armor are the helmet and shoulder armor and have the rest of the armor just be the reach armor.

I would actually suggest using a small netbook computer for the computer system (Cortana) and placing it in the small of your upper back between the shoulder blades, and create a small vent opening for the back of the netbook which will allow it to breath and vent out the heat that it will produce. However, this is all based upon the idea that you haven't gotten this far, or are in the middle of doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a netbook and was going to use it instead of a notebook. But another friend suggest that I use my iPhone instead. Its much smaller, can use voice commands, can play mp3's and can be used as a PA. I have since used it many times with no issues. However, I am still going to experiment with the netbook at a later date. I do know that it will not fit in the upper back due to the underarmor and padding. (I tried) I have found that it will work better below the back and above the butt plate. (where there is no armor).

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a netbook and was going to use it instead of a notebook. But another friend suggest that I use my iPhone instead. Its much smaller, can use voice commands, can play mp3's and can be used as a PA. I have since used it many times with no issues. However, I am still going to experiment with the netbook at a later date. I do know that it will not fit in the upper back due to the underarmor and padding. (I tried) I have found that it will work better below the back and above the butt plate. (where there is no armor).

Cheers!

That actually sounds like a better idea than what I had previously suggested. Whats even better is if you do do it that way you could make it look just like the armor ability pack from Halo Reach. That would actually make it blend in with the rest of your armor and keep it safe at the same time so that it doesn't get damaged or anything like that.

The iPhone idea is also very cool. I never would have thought of something like, but its not like I would have really know an iPhone could actually do that because I don't own one. However, if it turned out great I'd run with it.

I like the iphone idea as well. Where do you stick it at so it'll recieve voice commands? Also, just a quick question: When you scaled your thigh pieces all those months ago, How exactly did you get your measurements? The thigh piece I made ended up too large, but each time I measure, I get the same reading. what am I doing wrong?

Good luck with your move and all. Keep it real!

I like the iphone idea as well. Where do you stick it at so it'll recieve voice commands? Also, just a quick question: When you scaled your thigh pieces all those months ago, How exactly did you get your measurements? The thigh piece I made ended up too large, but each time I measure, I get the same reading. what am I doing wrong?

Good luck with your move and all. Keep it real!

I'm with him. What method did you use to scale your armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back