Mk 6 suit part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too :) (Sorry!)

Sesamstrasse_kermit_441875p.jpg

Picked up everything I need to build a hot box along with a gallon of Bondo. I've got everything hardened to the point where I can start doing Rondo and detailing. The chest piece and forearms still need more Smooth-Cast 320, but they're stiff enough to take Rondo for shaping. But before starting on the Rondo, I have a nice little update picture with everything I have.

Plus my helmet. Big? Yes. Will it fit? Most definitely.

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0028-1.jpg

Okay. No photos right now. I've just gotten back from work and I'm completely exhausted. Anyways, I've started with Rondoing everything up, and I might start sanding sometime this week. I've got some crunch time things that need to get taken care of, but I should be able to start sanding something. I've got the shins almost done. Just need a final sand on both of them, and then they're done. Then move up to the thighs and sand away.

Of course, now that I want to sand, the temperatures have taken a nose dive down into the single digits. So looks like I'm going to have to wear my snow suit underneath my bunny suit and put some hand warmers down the latex gloves. I do all my major sanding outside, as doing it inside makes it a royal mess. I can do the final hand sand inside, but everything with the mouse sander and Dremel is done outside.

Spent about 3 hours going nuts with the mouse sander and the dremel. I got the helmet and shins done with the power tools stage. I still have to over them with 40 grit, then 100 grit, then 320 grit by hand to smooth everything out. I also sanded the thighs quite a bit, but they're going to need another round of Rondo before they can be declared "done".

The power tools needed to be used outside. They generate WAY too much dust to use them inside. And since the temperatures are down low, low, low, we needed our snow suit. But we also use that snow suit for work, and as such, we need to keep the snow suit clean. So, we put the blue bunny suit over the snow suit. And now we're encased in what I'm pretty sure is more layers than a space suit.

DSCF00331280x960.jpg

And we forgot our eye protection....dust encrusted face....Although I do think those white eyelashes make me look sexy.

DSCF0038960x1280.jpg

HELMET PICTURE!!!!

DSCF00391280x960.jpg

Still need some work with the sanding block. But not to worry. It shall be done. By Thursday. Hopefully....although I oopsed and almost created a hole by the chin....going to need to repair that thin spot with either some more Smooth Cast 320....once I get more 320....once I get paid.....

DSCF00411280x960.jpg

Aaaaaaannnnnnndddddddddd the shins. They also need the hand job (that didn't come out right), and then get painted. As you can see, I'm trying out a few different colors to find the one I like best. I'm liking the top most color....

DSCF0044960x1280.jpg

I've decided to keep the polygons except for the calf piece. I think it looks a little cooler with the corners like that....

DSCF0045960x1280.jpg

Nice work and good progress.

LOL... Yea... I remember wearing my mask for at least 6 weeks straight... but mine covered the whole face.

The middle color looks closer to mine, but the top one (darker green) looks very good.

For the Calf... I rouned the entire calf area and the entire front of the shin. I left the one side "mountain" on each side as is.

:)

Nice progress :)

Why don't you build yourself a box out of some wood and foil to contain the sanding dust? Some may get out where you stick your hands in, but it works pretty good in general.
My eyes are starting to water just by looking at that face picture :D

Nice progress :)

Why don't you build yourself a box out of some wood and foil to contain the sanding dust? Some may get out where you stick your hands in, but it works pretty good in general.
My eyes are starting to water just by looking at that face picture :D

I tried that, but it didn't work very well. Plus, working outside isolates the noise from the mouse sander and dremel. There's small children in my house, and sometimes they're asleep when I want to work.

I tried that, but it didn't work very well. Plus, working outside isolates the noise from the mouse sander and dremel. There's small children in my house, and sometimes they're asleep when I want to work.

Good thing I live in the basement I guess :-D

Almost 10 days without an update? This must not be. So.....shins are done and ready to be strapped. Helmet still need visor and electrical, and padding, and then I'm moving up to the thighs.

DSCF0054.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0058-1.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0061.jpg

DSCF0062.jpg

DSCF0063.jpg

you sir should be a model modeler. you decided to make a nice simple piece first to experiment on, all your update photos are relevant, and you are so egar to post new pics you forget to put trousers on XD.
in all seriousness though, this looks amazing, the craft robo must help like hell, and shows you are serious, and everything is looking very nice. best luck to you (not that you need it, you shift is awesome)

you sir should be a model modeler. you decided to make a nice simple piece first to experiment on, all your update photos are relevant, and you are so egar to post new pics you forget to put trousers on XD.

I posted pictures without putting my pants on? I'm so, so sorry.

in all seriousness though, this looks amazing, the craft robo must help like hell, and shows you are serious, and everything is looking very nice. best luck to you (not that you need it, you shift is awesome)

The craft robo helps like you wouldn't believe. Unless it breaks. Which mine did. Brilliant. But it's still under warranty, so Graphtec is going to replace it free of charge. Just need to ship it back.

I made excellent progress today. I got one thigh up to the point where all it needs is one more good sanding (as apparent by the first coat of primer). One more good sanding and then I need to get more green spray paint. And black spray paint. And a can of white spray paint. It seems like I'm buying a buttload of spray paint. 4 cans of green, one can of black, and one can of white aught to do it.

Sooo...onto the pictures.

DSCF0064.jpg

DSCF0065.jpg

DSCF0066.jpg

DSCF0067.jpg

Comparison shot of the almost finished thigh (on the right) vs the raw thigh (on the left).

DSCF0068-1.jpg

Glad to see that your using ALOT of Bondo/Rondo on those thighs -- and -- that you are rounding the areas that need to be round and smooth. Same as mine :)

Cheers!

Just wanted to say it looks like it's coming along really well. When is your projected finish?

Projected completion date is some time in early March. At the end of the skiing season, the local ski resort has a "Winter Carnival", and part of it is a costume contest.

Glad to see that your using ALOT of Bondo/Rondo on those thighs -- and -- that you are rounding the areas that need to be round and smooth. Same as mine :)

Cheers!

Yup. Lots of Rondo on the thighs. And if the paint scheme looks similar to yours (particular the shins), well, that's because I'm trying to copy your MK6 build. They say imitation is the best form of flattery (or something like that). Anyways, I'm trying to match your quality. I don't want to start a competition here, but I want to make suit just like yours.

On that note, I have PICTURES!!!!

Interesting thing about Rondo....Apparently, if you apply a direct, intense heat to Rondo, it will bubble. Which is what happened on the right thigh. I got a nice bubble. I really didn't want to re-do that area, so I popped the bubble and peeled off the Rondo, and now it's a crater where a plasma grenade detonated. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

DSCF0075-1.jpg

Both thighs together.

DSCF0076-1.jpg

The shins look low because they're not padded yet. I plan on copying LongShot and using plungers to keep the shins up.

DSCF0078.jpg

Ignore the "Got Pipestone?" It's a NE Ohio thing.
This is the way the shins should look once they're padded and placed appropriately.

DSCF0080.jpg

I've ordered a custom made Zentai with eye opening to use for the undersuit. It's a one piece garment that covers EVERYTHING. Hands, feet, head, it covers it all. I had to have it custom made because they only make stock suits up to 72", and I'm 77"....with a VERY oddly proportioned body. I'm virtually all leg. No midsection. I go strait from leg to rib cage. It will look something like this:

Black-Lycra-Spandex-Unisex-Zentai-with-Eyes-Open-12162.jpg

I think this suit is going to be awesome :)

That Bondo thing is strange though. Did you maybe have an air bubble in there or something? (And what did you say where the heat came from...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back