MK V (B) & MK VII Mashup Build

Kigma9

Hi all, I've finally getting around to posting my MK V (B) and MK VII mashup build.
When I'm working on something, I often get swept up in the momentum and forget to stop and document, so some pieces have no images of particular stages in their build. My build process was also a lot more chaotic, with different parts at different stages of progress at the same time, but for the sake of cohesiveness, I'll be streamlining the build process description.

I had initially wanted to do a full MK V (B) build, but during the very early printing stages, the free MK VII files hosted on the forums started showing up and I ended up pivoting to include pieces of MK VII in my own build, as I really like how the different pieces look when paired together.

To scale these pieces, I made a scan of my own body using an old Xbox 360 Kinect and some free 3d scanning software (I'm afraid I don't remember which in particular) and imported both it and the armour pieces into Meshmixer and scaled accordingly. After a few iterations it was finalised to an unholy mix of free, paid and self-made files. I made the chestpiece sit lower by removing some geometry at the collar

1image.png
image.png

Final suit make-up features the MK V's helmet, biceps, vambraces, handplates, cod-piece, boots and shins. MK VII representation is in the form of neck seal, chestpiece and thighs. Plus the greebly bits associated with the two sets of armour.

For the knees I really wanted to use the CQB knees that are part of the MK V (B) core in Halo Infinite, but couldn't find anything online, so I made my own version in Fusion 360 based on screenshots taken in-game. It was a good way to get to know the software, as I had never used it in a large capacity before.
You can find a link to these pieces in the Free Model Index under "Halo Infinite: MK V Core".

kneepad file.png
ima2ge.png

Next in the process is printing! I printed the smaller bits on my Ender 3 and the larger pieces on my Anycubic Chiron (which tends to misbehave sometimes).

For the most part, everything came out pretty well the first try, except for the back half of the chestpiece (I had to retry that one three times) and the MK V shoulder piece (in red), which I found I had printed too large.

IMG_20210407_142356.jpg
IMG_20230411_025427.jpg
IMAG0215.jpg
IMG_20220510_072149.jpg

hando.jpg

After all the raw prints are ready, it's time for sanding (yay). This was the longest part of the process. It was done in my spare time over the course of weeks and weeks and weeks.

IMG_20230725_154142.jpg
IMG_20230411_193911.jpg
IMG_20230724_174450.jpg

Last edited:
Paint time! Many repeats of priming and sanding before I even attempted to paint the final colours. Then weathering and a mighty matte clear coat. I took the opportunity to glue on some greebly bits along the way too!

Here's the helmet. I sanded and painted the comm unit separately before adding it to the helm. The visor is an acetate sheet with gold one-way mirrored window tint applied.

IMG_20230414_195144_624.jpg
IMG_20230726_004957.jpg
1P9A547611.jpg

The vambraces were printed and painted at the same time as one another. I used Pipninja's forearm clips that were modified to fit the curvature of the vambrace. They came out a little rough but after a lick of silver paint they look fine from a distance.

IMAG0310.jpg
IMG_20220705_181156.jpg
IMG_20220319_200027.jpg

Below is a photodump of the rest of the images I have. You'll notice that the final suit doesn't feature some of the shown pieces. I just haven't figured out a way that I like to mount them yet.

Snapchat-900969500.jpg
IMG_20230806_163633.jpg
IMG_20230805_182304.jpg
IMG_20230804_143110.jpg
IMG_20230808_192347.jpg
IMG_20230804_181650.jpg
IMG_20230804_164948.jpg
IMG_20230804_181859_edit_209717470042476.jpg
IMG_20230811_012930.jpg

And here's the full suit. I've skipped over things like strapping as I'll likely be redoing it, as it was very much a rush job. But hey, it's held so far.

Dublin Comic Con this year was my first time wearing this suit properly outside of some test fits for individual pieces. I had the images of me in the forest a few weeks after the con. I need to do some things like up the padding in some areas like the shins but overall I'm happy with how it came out. The red "scarf" is actually mostly to hide the terrible pitting on the top of the back half of the chestpiece, it printed real bad in that spot.

DSC01590.JPG
IMG-20230815-WA0002.jpg
_DSC8042-Enhanced-NR.jpg
DSC8141.jpg
_DSC8174-Enhanced-NR.jpg
_DSC8144.jpg
_DSC8095.jpg

It was amazing to see fellow members of the 405th in person for the first time! Everyone was on the same wavelength and so we were able to get along very well.
And of course, I'm forever grateful to the ever-fantastic Invidiax4fan for letting me join him in his photoshoot with Jen Taylor and Steve Downes!!

YOO.jpeg

Thanks! And yeah, I still don't think the fact I was able to say hello to those two has fully sunk in yet!

Hi all, I've finally getting around to posting my MK V (B) and MK VII mashup build.
When I'm working on something, I often get swept up in the momentum and forget to stop and document, so some pieces have no images of particular stages in their build. My build process was also a lot more chaotic, with different parts at different stages of progress at the same time, but for the sake of cohesiveness, I'll be streamlining the build process description.

I had initially wanted to do a full MK V (B) build, but during the very early printing stages, the free MK VII files hosted on the forums started showing up and I ended up pivoting to include pieces of MK VII in my own build, as I really like how the different pieces look when paired together.

To scale these pieces, I made a scan of my own body using an old Xbox 360 Kinect and some free 3d scanning software (I'm afraid I don't remember which in particular) and imported both it and the armour pieces into Meshmixer and scaled accordingly. After a few iterations it was finalised to an unholy mix of free, paid and self-made files. I made the chestpiece sit lower by removing some geometry at the collar

View attachment 335295View attachment 335296

Final suit make-up features the MK V's helmet, biceps, vambraces, handplates, cod-piece, boots and shins. MK VII representation is in the form of neck seal, chestpiece and thighs. Plus the greebly bits associated with the two sets of armour.

For the knees I really wanted to use the CQB knees that are part of the MK V (B) core in Halo Infinite, but couldn't find anything online, so I made my own version in Fusion 360 based on screenshots taken in-game. It was a good way to get to know the software, as I had never used it in a large capacity before.
You can find a link to these pieces in the Free Model Index under "Halo Infinite: MK V Core".

View attachment 335297View attachment 335298
I didn't know you could use a Xbox 360 Kinect as a scanner. That's so cool!

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back