Motion's First attempt at Spartan bucket! (Cleanup/Visor/Paint work on a Mark V Cast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really loved the test painting of a laptop cover idea! That thing looks beat up, now. I agree with Stryde; I can't wait to see the paint job after such a successful test.

Looks good man what colors are you gonna go for
Thanks for the interest guys, and its Blue/black. Its based off of Caboose from RvB.

So lots of issues today :-(. Good News is got the mounts in for the visor....bad news is a friend of mine was pressing on one of the mounts and it broke a large piece off the helmet...and then he accidentally broke that piece in half. Not only that but the flexing on the helmet from all the pressure of the visor and such is cracking some of the spots I bondo'd. So I got those broken pieces on and bondo'd. Hopefully I'll be back in decent shape within the next couple days.

Mounts:
image-1.jpe

Damage/Repair:
image3.jpe

image1-1.jpe

image2-1.jpe

Attachments

• image-1.jpe
    image-1.jpe
    70.8 KB · Views: 198
  • image1-1.jpe
    image1-1.jpe
    86.6 KB · Views: 207
  • image3.jpe
    image3.jpe
    99.8 KB · Views: 201
  • image2-1.jpe
    image2-1.jpe
    69.9 KB · Views: 215
Sorry for the bump/double post. But does anyone know if its possible to fiberglass the inside of a cast? And if I could whether or not it would be a good idea? I'm just a little worried the bondo may not be able to handle the pressure of holding the visor?

Does the cast flex around a lot? If so, it is possible to glass a cast. Just do it in small sections to avoid overheating the inside of the cast and possibly warping it.

Does the cast flex around a lot? If so, it is possible to glass a cast. Just do it in small sections to avoid overheating the inside of the cast and possibly warping it.

Hey thanks for the info!

I'm kind of forcing the visor into a slightly different shape so it is putting some pressure on the helmet, causing it to flex a little. Or at least it was while I was holding the visor in place while we drilled the holes for the side mounts, and applied the apoxy puddy. Its not the first issue I've had with cracking caused by accidentally applying too much pressure, it looks like the cast is a lot thinner on most of the edges. After I fix up that broken area with Bondo I will probably glass the sidewall where the mount is just to have some piece of mind, maybe I'll to both side walls. (would kind of like to get some experience in with fiberglass anyways, so I know what I'm doing once I move on to bigger pieces, or scratch building a helmet anyways)

OH, and speaking off applying too much pressure in the past, you'll notice on the inside picture of the helmet that I foamed that beak area, that was to prevent flexing there when pressure was applied because that was another problem spot, and you can also see the second problem spot which is the piece that overlaps the visor at the top - when I got the cast originally you could see through the area where it connects to the helmet. Needless to say its given me issues as well :p.

EDIT: A guy who does body work on cars is telling me that I should not use bondo or fiberglass and that i should be using an adhesion promoter - but he says its an expensive product, like $50 a tube >.>

If your having problems with cracking on a casting, chances are it may have had a thin spot in that area, the MKV's were hard to get a build up of casting resin in that area, I usually strengthen up that area by applying Epoxy putty to the thin or flexible area, you can pick it up at Walmart, get the Loctite brand, its a 2 part putty that you mix llke clay, comes in a blue tube shape, work fast though as it cures quickly but you may have solved the issue with the repair you have done already.........Good luck

If your having problems with cracking on a casting, chances are it may have had a thin spot in that area, the MKV's were hard to get a build up of casting resin in that area, I usually strengthen up that area by applying Epoxy putty to the thin or flexible area, you can pick it up at Walmart, get the Loctite brand, its a 2 part putty that you mix llke clay, comes in a blue tube shape, work fast though as it cures quickly but you may have solved the issue with the repair you have done already.........Good luck

Thanks for the Info! I have a bunch of epoxy puddy leftover from the visor mounts. I was going to try that tonight once I finish with the bondo on the outside, now that you recommend it I have more faith in the idea :p.

Okay! Got some more work done to the helmet tonight, reinforced the two side areas with the posts using Epoxy puddy (particularly the side that got damaged) and ran the puddy all along the lower lip of the helmet to hopefully alleviate the pressure on the helmet and reduce any flexing that may otherwise occur. Had to tear off most of the work I did to the chin and start over, as well as still doing some work on other areas- It looks like a mess right now!

image-2.jpe

image1-2.jpe

Expect it to look drastically different next week, when hopefully I can start posting more interesting pictures :p

Attachments

• image1-2.jpe
    image1-2.jpe
    93.4 KB · Views: 199
  • image-2.jpe
    image-2.jpe
    69 KB · Views: 217
coming along great keep up the good work nice recovery on the damage

Thank you sir :)

Okay so I apologize for the slower updates, I had to re do several spots because the bondo was not sticking properly and I've been experimenting with using epoxy puddy in some areas instead. As well I Decided to reshape my vents! I evened out the grills a little bit and modified the shape to be a little more accurate, they are getting there and I'm happy with how they are turning out. As well I did a little work to the visor but I probably wont show the visor until I finish with the body work. Here's the helmet today before I added more bondo and epoxy puddy:

image2-2.jpe

Attachments

• image2-2.jpe
    image2-2.jpe
    72.5 KB · Views: 198
Still needs a little work , but I couldn't resist priming it to see what everything really looks like :p.

image-3.jpg

Attachments

• image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 185
Okay small update just to make it known Im still going at it. Vents are a lot more polished now then in that last pic, as well as fixed some other minor issues with the Epoxy puddy not blending perfectly into the Bondo. I'm hoping tomorrow I can finish the detailing *fingers crossed*, then get started building up the lip of the helmet flush with the visor. I am doing a bit of a dual layer visor and I have not received the material I'm putting under my main layer - so I may use gold painted plexy glass as a place holder. Once I get it to a state worth showing I'll post some pics!

Looks like the MKV is cleaning up well, if your having problems getting the Bondo and Epoxy putty to blend together get you some Spot putty filler also called glazing putty, its sold in Walmarts automotive paint section comes in a tooth paste tube looking thing, rub it on thin in the problem areas then sand it once it dries, should take care of the blending issues and also fill small pits in the Bondo, you can also pick the glazing putty up at most automotive stores.............Good Luck

Your doing a very good job at something most of us on the forum hate: bondo. Keep it up!

-Ryan

Haha Thanks, I dont blame people for hating bondo :p

Looks like the MKV is cleaning up well, if your having problems getting the Bondo and Epoxy putty to blend together get you some Spot putty filler also called glazing putty, its sold in Walmarts automotive paint section comes in a tooth paste tube looking thing, rub it on thin in the problem areas then sand it once it dries, should take care of the blending issues and also fill small pits in the Bondo, you can also pick the glazing putty up at most automotive stores.............Good Luck

Thanks for the info! I've just been layering more Bondo to try and fill in pits lol, Ill pick some up after work today.

Okay bought the glazing putty, sanded it a bit, applied the putty to the last remaining problem spots. Installed the visor as a test - messed up the bondo around one of the side posts for the visor but other then that looking good. Tomorrow last sanding, building up bondo around a couple spots around the visor. Next week is paint!!!!

image-6.jpg

Attachments

• image-6.jpg
    image-6.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back