MrPinski's Daft Punk Guy Manuel Helmet (TorsoBoy PEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I used the ball-end grinder bit from my dremel kit and just had at it. Because of how deep they are, I put a bunch of bondo behind where the seams would be so I wouldn't penetrate through the helmet completely, I then took some folded sandpaper and smoothed it out a bit.
2) I just bondo'd and sanded the ears... (maybe I don't get the question)
3) The boards were PDFs sent to me by Harrison Krix (Volpin) and I took them to a trophy shop and had them cut into a piece of plastic. I then put them in behind the D-Rings and glued them in place. Then the seam between the circuit board and the D-Ring was filled with a small amount of bondo.
4) I use a rubber sanding block that you can get at most any hardware store and sanding sponges. I use a lot of 100 grit for the main rough sanding, and 300 to smooth things out.
5) 1-2 layers usually do it for me with some spot filling here and there. (I do one section at a time to keep from overwhelming myself)

Thanx for the answers, They help out a lot. :D

How big was the bit? Can you take a picture of it?

As for #2, I meant, Because its a small space, How did you apply bondo evenly across the whole ear panel and sand it so perfectly but it looks like you just made the walls, bondo'd that, then attach wood or some kind of panel to it.
I'll probably do that to my helmet as well. :)

About Volpin's pdf for the ears, Can I download them somewhere or do I have to get them specifically from him?

I been using an orbital palm sander with 60grit, 100grit, and 150grit sandpaper but 60grit most of the time, Guess I gotta use 100grit and above from now on.

0786d1bb.jpg

That is one sweet looking helmet you got there. My hats off to you for a job well done.

While I know you guys have all seen these pictures, I made a slideshow video. (My first one so go easy... I've never done this before!)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, you did a great job on the helmet.
I have a question though, what did you use to fasten the visor to the helmet? (like which kind of glue)

Hey I'm building this helmet as well and i was wondering how you made the visor black, but still see-through? Please reply!

Hey I'm building this helmet as well and i was wondering how you made the visor black, but still see-through? Please reply!

It's made of a thermo-form 1/16" PETG and soaked in a mixture of RIT Dye (4 packs) and Water at 145 degrees F for 3-5 min intervals. You can dip as many times as you wish until you get your desired tint.

It's made of a thermo-form 1/16" PETG and soaked in a mixture of RIT Dye (4 packs) and Water at 145 degrees F for 3-5 min intervals. You can dip as many times as you wish until you get your desired tint.

Can you still see through it though? can you put a picture of visibility please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back