My First Build! Halo 3 Mk VI MC build

Sadly I've had a lack of progress on things so far this week. I have been running in to some issues with my X1C for the first time since I've gotten it. For some reason I am seeing some stringing and blobbing in the first layer that is causing some issues with my prints. I've done all of the regular things (clean the plate, cold pull, etc...) but the issue persists. Just started happening out of the blue with no changes to filament or settings. I've ordered a new nozzle that should be here in the next day or 2 that will hopefully get me up and printing again.
View attachment 344256
It could be an issue with the filament. Filament absorbs moisture, which when extruded, the tiny molecules of liquid will boil and pop, causing clogs, stringing, a rough texture, and lack of adhesion. If it's in the budget, see if there's a food dehydrator you can pick up that will fit your spool. It'll make a surprising difference to your prints!

The issue could also be an extrusion problem. Forgive me because I dont know jack squat about bambu printers, but blobbing is an effect from over extrusion and an e-step calibration will probably be needed.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been running the same filament, all purchased in the same batch and dried for some time. I also put each roll in the printer and used the drying function that's built in to ensure there was no moisture, though I do agree it presents similarly to how "wet" filament would. It very well could be an issue with the z offset as well but it probably also appears so close because I am printing at a .08mm layer height. I am wondering if it is just presenting as blobbing and is fact an issue with adhesion. While I've been troubleshooting, I've been watching the first couple of layers pretty closely and noticed that the adhesion isn't great. I'm using the bambu textured PEI plate but I'm wondering if I should swap to the non textured plate. Either way, the new nozzle will be here tomorrow. I plan to install that and give the pei plate a thorough cleaning as well as roughing it up a bit with some steel wool to see if I can restore the adhesion. If that doesn't work, I'll most likely swap out to the smooth sheet.

I did manage to get one successful plate to print while I've been trying to work this out. I printed out the armor clips for the torso. I attached the clips to the velcro strapping via a magnet. This allows me to strap up the velcro and then quickly snap on the clips to hide all of the straps. I'm still mot sure I'm completely happy with how they look, but I'll use them for now until I can work something else out.

1000024519.jpg

Last edited:
Finally worked out the issues I was having with my printer. After a nozzle swap and thoroughly cleaning the print bed, plus running some 400 grit across it, we are back to perfect prints. Tonight I'll finally be starting on the thigh pieces.

Also, no more drawn in visor pics! I haven't gotten this completely installed yet. Still need to add some stripping to the lower part of the visor to cover some gaps.

1000024530.jpg

Finished up the COD piece, reworked the mid section and attached it to the cod and chest plate with some velcro. Decided to give everything a test fit today and snap some pictures while I had it all on. I also found some football shrots with a nice pattern on the side that I think I can make work with the undersuit.
1000024736.jpg
1000024730.jpg
1000024729.jpg
1000024734.jpg

So all the core pieces are almost complete. Just a little paint and some detail and it's ready to go. Next up is rigging and more undersuit work.....

As far as my undersuit goes, I'm all over the place. I ended up busting out the sewing machine and stitched up a quick top piece for the undersuit. I used a 2 way stretch faux leather and some upholstery foam to sew in the shoulder and arm details. I'll probably do the same for the elbow pieces. I still need to take in the underarm portion and tighten the chest, but I can do most of that with a simple adjustment.
1000025056.jpg
1000025057.jpg
1000025058.jpg

Sadly I've had a lack of progress on things so far this week. I have been running in to some issues with my X1C for the first time since I've gotten it. For some reason I am seeing some stringing and blobbing in the first layer that is causing some issues with my prints. I've done all of the regular things (clean the plate, cold pull, etc...) but the issue persists. Just started happening out of the blue with no changes to filament or settings. I've ordered a new nozzle that should be here in the next day or 2 that will hopefully get me up and printing again.
View attachment 344256
Your suit looks like its coming along great. I don't know what color you did as a base coat but I did a greyish silver so throughout using it would show up as battle damage without repainting.

Your suit looks like its coming along great. I don't know what color you did as a base coat but I did a greyish silver so throughout using it would show up as battle damage without repainting.
Yeah I did something similar. I primed with multiple layers of rustoleum filler primer in grey and then post sanding ran a coat of rustoleum metallic silver primer. There are some natural scratches and chips across the armor as well as some intentional lines and weather made via sanding across all of the pieces. The metallic coat shows through and adds a lot to the weathering on the pieces.

We're working with the same files but MAN am I jealous how good your suit is looking! Would you mind sharing some pictures of the internals, mainly how you attached the different parts together?

I noticed you haven't done the LEDs for the helmet yet. If you need some inspiration, here's how I solved that: 3D printed mkVI build (Citruspers)

Just give a shout if you want to use the same files, I'd be happy to share them.

We're working with the same files but MAN am I jealous how good your suit is looking! Would you mind sharing some pictures of the internals, mainly how you attached the different parts together?

I noticed you haven't done the LEDs for the helmet yet. If you need some inspiration, here's how I solved that: 3D printed mkVI build (Citruspers)

Just give a shout if you want to use the same files, I'd be happy to share them.
Thank you and thanks for the link! As far as internals, what kind of pictures are you looking for? Rigging or just structural/connecting pieces? More than happy to snap some pictures and shoot then your way once I am back home.

Also, I was actually just trying to decide how I would do the lights and fans for my helmet. Id love to use your files for the light rigging! What you've done there looks great.

Thank you and thanks for the link! As far as internals, what kind of pictures are you looking for? Rigging or just structural/connecting pieces? More than happy to snap some pictures and shoot then your way once I am back home.

Also, I was actually just trying to decide how I would do the lights and fans for my helmet. Id love to use your files for the light rigging! What you've done there looks great.
Both would be great, rigging and structural :)

And thanks, just shoot me a DM and I'll send you the files along with some details of the components I used.

Yeah I did something similar. I primed with multiple layers of rustoleum filler primer in grey and then post sanding ran a coat of rustoleum metallic silver primer. There are some natural scratches and chips across the armor as well as some intentional lines and weather made via sanding across all of the pieces. The metallic coat shows through and adds a lot to the weathering on the pieces.
Nice, looking forward to see it finished.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back