My Halo reach armor build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great job! Looks awesome! I like the wooden stick skeletal structures for reinforcement, I think I will adopt this before I resin my forearms.

After a week of using Bondo I have all but completed my helmet.

helmetbondoe002_zpsc97256ae.jpg

helmetbondoe003_zps8528df62.jpg

helmetbondoe004_zps71da346a.jpg

I don't have any pics yet but I have applied the first coat of primer and I plan to do some minor touch ups here and there Before I paint it its main colors.

I should have some pics up this weekend. Soon after posting that I put on one coat of primer. Then I Began to file away some messy spots and I have added more bondo to the lower back to better define the area. If you notice in the pic above the top most ridge is rounded on both sides and it didn't quite have the shape I was aiming for.

The base coat of primer shows many imperfections that I need to deal away with but the one that bugged me most was the lower back region of the helmet. After very careful bondo work I am almost 1005 satisfied with hoe the region appears now.

40e4be25-8f34-40a0-bc92-cd0ed6fa025a_zps3effa8ab.jpg

I do plan to and a little bit more bondo to the upper right ridge, the phote made it more obvious to me that there is a dip in it.

2-22-13007_zpsab241e25.jpg

I have also noticed that the left portion of the helmet angles down sharper than the right. So that will probably be the next area that I work on.

June update

The last time I actually updated this thread was right after the site updated, since then i have got much completed on my armor set.

In march I was able to complete my helmet as seen bellow.

4-17-13002_zps0be0bc31.jpg

3-11-13038_zps240f6d62.jpg

3-11-13037_zps7feb5ee4.jpg

I was really proud of it at the time, but now that I am better with bondo I feel that I could have done a much better job. Even so I still like it for my first time bondoing something.

It was not until may that I completed my next two pieces, the gloves.

pictureuploadday10014_zpse135b475.jpg

pictureuploadday10015_zps7e8a704a.jpg

During the spring it was rarely warm enough to work with bondo and when it was I happened to be to caught up in track to devote time to this project causing me to go months with out progress.

Now that it is summer though I am able to enjoy nice 80 degree days vastly improving the amount of work I can so on this project. With the end of school for the summer I have been working on it every day I don't have work. So far here is what i have got done as a result.

pictureuploadday10011_zpsf628d391.jpg

pictureuploadday10013_zpsfc118ffb.jpg

The left boot has had the basic paint put on it with weathering effects to be added once I decide on a good method. (Any advice would be welcome.)

pictureuploadday10016_zpsa4186c39.jpg

Both Biceps have been completed and weathered, but again I am all ears for ideas when it comes to painting.

Finally I have some progress pics I took today to give people an idea about how the unfinished pieces look.

pictureuploadday10022_zpsd5378493.jpg

I like to work on small sections of the chest at a time. When ever I complete a section I wright OK on it so I don't focus on it any more.

pictureuploadday10019_zps45523d70.jpg

At the bottom of the chest piece were it touches the table I wrapped paper towel around it. This prevents bondo dust from sticking to it ruining the smooth surface. Thus saving me time.

pictureuploadday10021_zps4aa76e04.jpg

pictureuploadday10020_zps38bb5930.jpg

Here are other parts that are being worked on. I tend to work o up to five pieces at a time. By rotating between them there is always one ready to be sanded while the others are having their bondo setting.

Last of all here are the parts that I intend to paint tomorrow. They are the pink ones, not the already painted ones.

pictureuploadday10027_zps791689b6.jpg

pictureuploadday10029_zpsc470a923.jpg

pictureuploadday10024_zpscfcc4f60.jpg

This last pic shoes a piece that has been covered in spot putty. This gets ride of small the small imperfections. Directly after taking this pic I sanded it with a 320 grit paper. The final result can be seen in the two pictures above it.

Thanks for reading, if all goes well I will update this again tomorrow.

Wow! I really like your detail in your helmet. Care to share what you used for your visor?
The visor is an icon reflective visor. For the detail I covered the whole thing in painters tape. i then carefully measured and drew lines on it in pencil. Finally I took the edge of an exacto knife and carved those lines away.

Brilliant work so far dude. Really likeing how this is progressing. Helmet looks slick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back