My Son's Noble Spartan - NOW COMPLETE - Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like making armor from fiberglass is dying out since apparently everything is going to EVA foam.... Your build here is a big inspiration to me as I plan a fiberglass Carter suit since I plan to build it the exact same way with lighting and everything.

Good work boss!

Looks great!
Thats not barefoot, its a new type of boot that tricks people into thinking that he is barefoot. Right?? lol
Anyways, looks great man :)

I feel like making armor from fiberglass is dying out since apparently everything is going to EVA foam.... Your build here is a big inspiration to me as I plan a fiberglass Carter suit since I plan to build it the exact same way with lighting and everything.

Good work boss!

Thanks a bunch AsthMattic. I really appreciate it and I'm glad that this build is inspirational to you. If you haven't built anything like this before, take your time to make it right is what I've learned. . . . LOL. I have my share of funky parts on this build and it is in no way perfect in my eyes, but I chalk it up to my first build and a learning experience for my own later. Good luck with your Carter build and I look forward to seeing something from you in the future. Let me know if I can help.

Looks great!
Thats not barefoot, its a new type of boot that tricks people into thinking that he is barefoot. Right?? lol
Anyways, looks great man :)

Yeah . . yeah . . . that's it. . . Invisible boots!!!!! Maybe I can tell him that is the new thing with Spartans and I won't have to make them for Halloween. . . . Yeah Right. . . He'll still want the boots. . . :p Thanks a bunch for the compliment.

Great work on this build. He looks awesome even if he is barefoot!:D

Thank you, vshore. I really appreciate it. Maybe he'll go for the invisible boot thing. LOL!

Your son should be very thankful!
:)

Thanks. Loving your build too. Keep up the good work.

can this plz be moved to the right place?? this doesnt need to be in noob forum

Thanks so much tankball. I appreciate that very much. Still got a lot to learn though. :)

As for updates. . .

I really do have photos of this stuff, but for some reason, Photobucket isn't uploading right now. I'll explain what I've done for now. . . though not much and get the pics in later on in an update. Promise. I know how people here love pics. LOL!

I got some stuff done to button up the torso and cross it off the list of things to do. Just small detail things I did all the paint touch ups that were still needed since I cut it after final paint and from the Rondo incident. LOL. I painted in the recessed part in the back on top around the triangle black. I put in the Spartan T-Bagging warning label on the back there on the top of it and painted a red triangle warning on the upper right part of the back like I've seen in reference shots. I couldn't bring myself to hand paint "Danger" that small, so I just made some white dots to make it look like writing. . . LOL. I also got the little silver spine pieces on the lower back of the torso piece too. I made those out of foam, plati-dipped them, painted them silver and brushed on some black for effect. I don't think the black detailing on them really shows up in the pics though.

I plasti-dipped the foam vest after burning in some details and cutting it to make it look a little better on the back, so I think it's pretty much done. Some of the details that I made on it really don't show on the outside after the torso is on, so I'm debating on changing it. . . . Maybe. I'm still on the look out at local electronics stores for more blue LEDs so I can put the other two that are supposed to be on the back on there, but as of today, no luck. :( I am also needing at least two more for the bicep pieces. If I can figure out whether there is enough room in the thighs for electronics, I'll be looking for at least six more blue LEDs, but right now I'm not entirely sure that there is enough room in the thighs for the lighting.

I have a days off rotation coming up again this month tomorrow and will be off on Sunday, but since I will be working tonight until tomorrow morning at 7, I'll wind up sleeping most of the day on Sunday. Then, will be working Mon - Thu for August. So, progress will be slow I'm assuming. However, lighting won't take me long if I can find the stuff to do it, so I may be able to get that done this week and will possibly be able to finally make his hand and knee plates this next weekend. That's the plan any way. . .LOL

Guys, I really appreciate the support and feedback you're giving me as the Noob I am. It means a lot. As always, let me know what you think and all comments and suggestions are welcome at any time. Keep your own builds fun and I'll update this with pics later if possible.

PIC UPDATE

Wouldn't you know it. . . . As soon as I get this post up my pictures finally upload to Photobucket. . . well, some of them. . . LOL. Here they are.
First two are just to show the lights I put in in the dark.
th_DSCF6923.jpgth_DSCF6924.jpg

Everything else. . . Going for thumbnails to try and save some space. . . . so bare with me.
th_DSCF6929.jpgth_DSCF6931.jpgth_DSCF6943.jpgth_DSCF6941.jpg

I still can't get a couple of them to upload to show the burnt in details on the foam on the back, but I'll try again later. . . They're a bit fuzzy, because the flash kept drowning out everything when I was trying to take them. . . Then again, it may be because I'm super tired this morning. This whole graveyard shift is for the vampires, werewolves and dead people. . . . LOL. I need to hit the hay. I've been up entirely too long. . . . Hope you enjoy!

OK. . . Couldn't go to sleep knowing I had something left to do on this. . :)
Here's what I did to that foam on the bottom in the back.
th_DSCF6938.jpg
Alright. . . Night night or morning morning. . . . however you want to look at it. . . .LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
OK! Got home this morning and mowed the yard. Took a shower and then drank a Monster so I could make it back to town to forage for LEDs. . . . That one didn't last long though, because I had to drink another to make it home. . . . ROFL!!! As luck turns out though. . . Radio Shack (you know, the high price store. . .) had 7 of the blue LEDs that I had used in other places. I bought all of them!!!!! I also may have figured out a way to put LEDs in the legs by using a single CR2032 watch battery as the power source so I got a bunch of them and some 2032 battery holders while I was there too. I'm going to try that out on the biceps first and see how it works out. I've got plenty of switches and everything now. I should be able to get everything that needs lights done as soon as I can get a nap or something in so I can see straight enough to solder the wires without burning myself.:p As of right now I've been up for about 26 hours. With this being my only day off till next weekend though, I needed to get as much done as possible. . . and now my son wants to go swimming. . . As Charlie Brown would say "Good Grief!" :cool Oh well. I can sleep later I guess. I'll get pics of the lights posted as soon as I get them up and running. Until then, keep building and make it fun.

Update

Got some lights installed!!!!! Yaaa Hooooo!!!!!!

DSCF6976.jpg

th_DSCF6967.jpgth_DSCF6970.jpgth_DSCF6972.jpgth_DSCF6974.jpg

Sorry if some of these are fuzzy. I couldn't use the flash, because I wanted the lights to show up in the pics.

The only place I haven't put lights in is those two places on the back that I didn't have lights for when I did that. I'm trying to figure out how I want to do it and what to power it with so it will last as long as possible. I got them in the biceps and managed to get them in the thighs as well.

The circuit I used was with a single 2032 3V battery and one LED. This is what it looked like wired up before I installed it in the biceps and thighs.
DSCF6946.jpg
DSCF6947.jpg

That is one that I wired up for the biceps, but they are wired the same in both the biceps and thighs.

Inside look in the bicep after it was installed.
DSCF6951.jpg

DSCF6961.jpg

I covered the outside of the hole with a piece of plastic from a CD case and then filled it in with hot glue since I couldn't make a box like I did with the torso. It worked out well. Then I covered it up with electrical tape.

Inside look in the thigh after I got it installed.
DSCF6952.jpg
DSCF6960.jpg

On the thigh I used a single LED and used hot glue to diffuse it and carry the light across both holes. I covered the outside of the hole with pieces of plastic from a CD Case like on the torso and biceps. It doesn't seem as bright as the others, but I think it turned out pretty good so I didn't have to waste the other LEDs that I have. And I covered it up with electrical tape to keep all the light in that I could.

It's not much of an update I guess, but it is all wired up now. I do have the other two lights for the ones in the back, but like I said. . . . . just need to figure out what battery /batteries to use to get them up and running.

After I got the lights in everything I put a strap on the thighs and right now I'm waiting on the hot glue on those to set so I can have him try it out to see if I need a second strap or not.

Last few things to make are still those hand plates, knee plates and boots. I'm thinking I can probably get the knee and hand plates made this weekend since I don't have to mow now. When I get those done I'll be sure to post what I have on them. This will most likely be the last update until I get that stuff done since there isn't much to update on what I have. I'm going to try and make him a hood myself modeled after a under armor hood that I have. I hope it will work for this so his neck and hair are covered up. LOL.

Anyway, I really do appreciate everyone's support and for following along. Please let me know what you think. . . good or bad. . . . and until next time, I hope you enjoy my update and keep building and make it fun.

"aren't you a lil short to be a stormtrooper?"
Sorry had to get that in, since my last visit to the thread you've come a long way buddy and I gotta say I love it!
As for your battery question above, I didn't read everything in detail but you should be able to get away with some 9v batts wired to the LEDs in parallel that should do te trick :)
Sorry as I said haven't read it all in detail so hopefully that might help if you didn't mention it already :p

Good work :D
DBmike

Absoluetley stunning! One of the best N 6's I've seen. I was wondering what were your plans for the boots? Foam or have you been able to find a full pep modell?
Seth

"aren't you a lil short to be a stormtrooper?"
Sorry had to get that in, since my last visit to the thread you've come a long way buddy and I gotta say I love it!
As for your battery question above, I didn't read everything in detail but you should be able to get away with some 9v batts wired to the LEDs in parallel that should do te trick :)
Sorry as I said haven't read it all in detail so hopefully that might help if you didn't mention it already :p

Good work :D
DBmike

ROFL on the stormtrooper bit. I have a M&M Star Wars shirt that I wear all the time that has that on there. I Keep telling him that too as far as being short for a Spartan. LOL
Much appreciated DB Mike. Loving your build too! As to the last two LEDs that I have to wire up. . . . I wanted to stay away from wiring them in parallel so I didn't get as much drain on the power source. I only need 6.4V to run them, so I'll have to do the math and figure out what type of resistor to use on them if I wind up with a 9V power supply.

Amazing work. The lighting is fantastic, its inspired me to do something similar lol.

Thank you, Animagmus. I'm glad to hear this has inspired someone. Thanks for the compliments.

That armor looks kinda like Kat's armor. I think the lights look bodacious.

I think with the color blue that he chose it really does look like Kat's armor. All I need to do is make him a recon helmet and he'd be set. . . . LOL. I guess since the base armor for all of them are about the same, I could get away with that. LOL

Thanks for the compliments on the lights and everything. I appreciate it.

Looks awesome! love the lighting

Thank you so much RSpartain7.

Absoluetley stunning! One of the best N 6's I've seen. I was wondering what were your plans for the boots? Foam or have you been able to find a full pep modell?
Seth

Thanks Seth. I had just replied in DBMike's thread about the boot and pep question you had so I'll stick to your boot question for this.
My plan right now for the boots is to do it in foam by modifying a pep file that I have. He's so restricted in all of his movements right now when in the full suit, I figured I'd try to do something a little more comfortable for him since he'll be walking about on Halloween in this stuff. I'm actually thinking of rebuilding his Cod piece in foam as well to try and help him out so he can sit. . . .LOL!!!!! I have several boot files, but only two of them are complete boots. The boot file I linked in DBMike's thread is a boot shell with an open bottom, but it looks like the whole boot. It wouldn't take much to modify it to add a sole out of foam or something either. The other file that I have that I will wind up using for his boots is the Dawn Under Heaven file and it is a full boot with the sole and all. I can't share that file though, at the requests of the designers. You can go to the Dawn Under Heaven website though and donate to their cause and get access to it. It looks a lot like the one that I put in DBMike's file except it has a sole. It does have a lot more detail though.

For my build I will do a hard suit most likely with some foam like my son's, but I will be using the Dawn Under Heaven files that I have for everything except the thighs (because they would need to be heavily modified to fit my thighs because they are for skinny bean pole people IMO) and the torso. But I'll go over all that when I start that in another thread.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

EDIT with an Update and Pics

Didn't want to double-post. At least I think it's still double-posting if they are on the same day. Anyway. . . . . .

I decided to try my hand at foam today for whatever reason. Plus I wanted to make the smaller parts on the joints a little more comfy for my son. I got the hand and knees done today. Using info I learned from LilTyrant I tried my best. LOL!

I started with a template that I drew out for both of them. . . . Here's the hands
DSCF6980.jpg
DSCF6977.jpg
DSCF6979.jpg
DSCF6978.jpg

And Here's the knees
DSCF6981.jpg
DSCF6982.jpg
DSCF6983.jpg
DSCF6984.jpg

I still need to see about heat forming the knees a little bit so they aren't flat, but when I put them up against him to see how the fit was they looked OK. I used the Best Step foam flooring roll that I had and put some of the craft foam over the top of it. On the hands I burnt in some of the details with my hobby knife so I didn't build it up too high and to give the circles a little more depth. All I need to do now is plasti-dip them and get them painted. It's over 100 as far as temp here today, so I'd probably be able to do those steps fairly quickly. LOL.

Please let me know what you think and as always. . . all suggestions, comments and feedback is welcome. Until next time . . . . Keep Building and Make It Fun!!!!!!!

UPDATE

First, I'd like to apologize if this is considered a double-post. . . .

OK guys. . . as per my last update to the previous post. . . .
It didn't take long at all to paint the parts because of the heat here. ROFL :p

All painted up and ready to be velcroed down to the undersuit. . .
Hand Plates
DSCF6992.jpg
DSCF6993.jpg
DSCF6994.jpg

Knees
DSCF6995.jpg
DSCF6996.jpg
DSCF6997.jpg

Don't know if you can really tell it in the photos or not, but the knees are gray.

That should be about everything except the boots. I'm trying to figure out if he's close to outgrowing his shoes right now or not before I do those. I will be seeing if I can do anything to the undersuit to give it some detail so that it's not just a black shirt and pants underneath at this point. Maybe I can do something like LilTyrant and sew on some pieces to give it some detail. It may not be as easy though since I'm taking an existing pair of pants and shirt instead of building it from scratch. We shall see.

Thanks to friends, lurkers and everyone else that has been following along with everything. I appreciate everything and for all the inspirational threads out there on this site. Please let me know what you think and we'll catch you later with the next update.

EDIT with Pics

Was on a roll so figured I'd get the hand plates and knees mounted.

DSCF7008.jpg

DSCF7006.jpg
DSCF7007.jpg
DSCF7005.jpg

I wish I hadn't though, because now it looks like I may have been off a little with the shins on the front height. I can't make them any taller in the back though. I'll have to see what I can do to fix them if necessary. It was a booger to sew in the velcro on the pants with the sewing machine I have too, but it worked I guess. Sewing that in also answered my question on whether I'd be able to do anything else to add detail for the undersuit. On the pants it's pretty much a no go. Anyways.. . . . Let me know what you think.

i wish i would have had the dad doing such a great costum for me *-*
respect dude for doing it for ur kid

PigBenis...one of the funniest usernames I've seen. :p
Anyways
Is that suit gonna come with a gun?

__,_____
/ __.==--"
|#(-'
`-'
I slightly modified this ascii gun to fit this format.
Original

Lights...Action....Camera
Awesome:D

WOW!!! You've come along ways since I've been gone. Looks awesome.:D

Glade to see you like the Rondo too, wait till you use rondoglass. It's just as easy but stronger. ;)

i wish i would have had the dad doing such a great costum for me *-*
respect dude for doing it for ur kid

Thanks, PigBenis. You're too kind. And I would like to take the time to compliment you on your original screen name. . . . LOL

PigBenis...one of the funniest usernames I've seen. :p
Anyways
Is that suit gonna come with a gun?

__,_____
/ __.==--"
|#(-'
`-'
I slightly modified this ascii gun to fit this format.
Original

Oh you stooooop eeet ! :3

i would suggest a magnum for the young spartan if u ask me sir ! :$

To answer y'all's question. . . . I'm looking into getting some foam board insulation to use for a magnum at this particular junction. When I went by Home Depot and Lowe's last week, they didn't have anything that I wanted to use. I just didn't think that what they had was thick enough. I need to find some good reference photos of the holster for it though. Not having the game, I can't just plug it in and find one. All of my attempts at finding a good pic of the holster at this time have been fruitless. :( The best pic I have of it only shows the front of it and that doesn't help me much. If anyone knows where I can find a good one, PLEASE let me know.

Lights...Action....Camera
Awesome:D

WOW!!! You've come along ways since I've been gone. Looks awesome.:D

Glade to see you like the Rondo too, wait till you use rondoglass. It's just as easy but stronger. ;)

THORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to see that you're back up and running! I hope you've recooped and that you're healthy again. I hated not being able to see any updates in your thread. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair to see what you come up with next.

Thanks for the compliment. . . . much obliged!

I really do like the rondo process and I was looking into the Bondo Glass because it seemed like it would be stronger. It's definitely a faster process and a heck of a lot less messy than gluing in all the fiberglass cloth and coating it with something. I'll have to get with you on the Rondo Glass stuff when I get to it to have you point me in the right direction for sure.

No Updates really. Just taking some time to figure out things and research stuff. I really do need a good reference shot of the holster for the magnum if anyone has one though. I have some good pics of the magnum and some blueprints that I've found for measurements, but it'll have to be scaled way down to fit my kiddo. Shouldn't be an issue. I can just shrink it paint or photo shop.

Thanks for all the compliments and I really appreciate everything. Until next time, Keep building and make it fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back