My Son's Noble Spartan - NOW COMPLETE - Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foam board. the blue, pink, purple work great. And the kicker is you can glue it with any water based glue to make it thicker and/or add parts. (Stay away from the white board it's made different)

I'm posting pic's of my M6 THORN custom (a foam board build) later today, stop by and check it out:cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan_127!!!! I am thoroughly impresses with your build! Your son is lucky. I was really inspired when I read about the lights installations. I believe I'm going to follow your example.

Your progress is awesome man. It has been some time since i checked back with your thread too :D I like your attitude of "well, i'll just do it, lets see how it turns out". Your skills are impressive!

You must be so proud ! And your son is puking rainbows i guess ... if not im doing it for you guys . i cant stop puking rainbows !! D:

Btw u wanna adopt me ? haha :D

Rly great job dude !

You did a really swell job on the hand plates and the knees :)

Thanks for the compliment.

Foam board. the blue, pink, purple work great. And the kicker is you can glue it with any water based glue to make it thicker and/or add parts. (Stay away from the white board it's made different)

I'm posting pic's of my M6 THORN custom (a foam board build) later today, stop by and check it out:cool

Thanks for the pointers, Thorn. And I love your foam builds.

Spartan_127!!!! I am thoroughly impresses with your build! Your son is lucky. I was really inspired when I read about the lights installations. I believe I'm going to follow your example.

Thank you vidofnir. I'm glad that what I did with the lights can help you out in your build.

Your progress is awesome man. It has been some time since i checked back with your thread too :D I like your attitude of "well, i'll just do it, lets see how it turns out". Your skills are impressive!

I appreciate that Sealgair. You're too kind. . . LOL

You must be so proud ! And your son is puking rainbows i guess ... if not im doing it for you guys . i cant stop puking rainbows !! D:

Btw u wanna adopt me ? haha :D

Rly great job dude !

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. Don't think I could get away with adopting you though. . . . LOL :)

I really appreciate the comments guys. . . I'm currently working on redoing the foam work under my son's torso. It just doesn't look right to me looking at everything now. So, I'll rework it and get some pics up when I'm done with the new pieces. I also found out that the shins were made right, but he's grown a couple inches since I measured him last. SO, they are a little off as far as height now. :( I don't know if I'll redo those or just leave them, because I was thinking of doing his cod in foam so that he'll at least be able to sit down here and there. . . LOL.

Once I have that stuff done, I'll be moving on to my own build after updating this one. I've already come to the realization that my build won't be done any time soon unfortunately. I would've really liked to be able to go out on Halloween with my son or maybe to a HALO 4 midnight launch party, but I guess I'll just have to find something to go to next year. . . :D. By the time I get mine done, it'll most likely be time to start something else for the kiddo again for next Halloween!

Keep the comments coming and let me know what you think. I appreciate everyone following along. Until next time, Keep Building and Make it Fun

I loved following this build Spartan, and I can't wait to see the costume you end up making for yourself!

Thanks Rabbit. I appreciate you saying so.

Small Update

First, sorry for posting twice today. I just couldn't sit here wanting to do something and not doing it.

I got the arm seals and back piece for the torso redone.

DSCF7027.jpg
DSCF7025.jpg
DSCF7016.jpg
DSCF7028.jpg

I have the collar and the little scallops on the side of the chest glued in place. All the rest is velcroed in place so that I can still access the electronics and stuff in the event something stops working on them.

The Front
DSCF7012.jpg
DSCF7011.jpg

The Back
DSCF7010.jpg

After doing everything, we did a test fit and it all worked out well. I did some heat forming on the shoulders and made it look a little better at that point, and there aren't any gaps like before with the foam vest I had. The way I did everything, it makes it a little more difficult to put on and take off because of the way the foam overlaps in places, but I'll be there to help him put it on anyway. I did raise it up a little on his chest and he told me that it fit him more comfortably that way. So, I guess it worked out doing it. My son didn't want to put it back on for me to take a pic of him in it though, because he's not feeling so good today. . . Maybe tomorrow.

Hope y'all enjoy and please let me know what you think.

Looks nothing short of fantastic.

I'm bookmarking this page for further reference, I really like the way you wired things up!

Looks nothing short of fantastic.

I'm bookmarking this page for further reference, I really like the way you wired things up!

Thanks ZMX. I like what you've done on your build also.

The new foam work looks awesome.

Appreciate that, Thorn.

I still haven't gotten him back into everything to get some pics of the way the chest looks now, but we'll get it sooner or later. I finally got a set of blue prints scaled for him for a magnum. So I'm looking into what I need to get.

Now I need y'all's help. . . .I still haven't found any foam locally that I like or think that I can use. If anyone (*Cough THORN Cough* LOL) :p can point me to the right isle or product at the hardware store or something, I'd appreciate it greatly. I've been looking for styrene also so that maybe I could make him a combat knife out of it, but I've had no luck finding that either and I really don't want to make another order for something online. Until I can get that stuff, there isn't much more that I can do at this point.

Thanks again to everyone following along. It's appreciated. Until next time, Keep Building and Make it Fun!!!!

What type of foam are you looking for? I see you've already used some eva foam on the suit, so I'm confused.

LOL! Sorry for the confusion.
I am looking for a good foam board (like insulation) and styrene sheets to make his weapons out of. I didn't want to try out using the flimsy foam I have for that. I just don't know if what I've been looking at at Home Depot or Lowe's is the right stuff or not. It didn't seem that it was thick enough for the main body of the weapon.

At Everyone or Anyone Else

OK. I'm confused here.:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused I was trying to access the Noob Forum to see about how I would start a thread on my personal build to work on a layout and everything, and it wouldn't let me access it. I don't have anything to really post for it other than a duct tape dummy and pep file pics, but wanted to figure out how I'd go about it. . . . ANYWAY. It kept showing that I didn't have the permission /privilege to do it there. For grins and giggles I went to the Creation Discussion Forum to see what would happen if I tried to start a new thread there. Low-and-behold, it will let me start a new thread there, but I didn't think I had access to start one there, because I think I'm still a Noob. . . .right?:confused Does anyone know why I can do it there, but not where me being a Noob should post? Have I been ranked higher than a Noob now or what's the deal? After doing all this, I noticed that under my name I have "Infantryman" there now, and to be honest. . . I don't know how long that's been there or what it means. I'm so confused and lost right now. I was looking through stuff before putting this up about everything and couldn't find an answer. If anyone can help me with my confusion, I'd appreciate it.

At Everyone or Anyone Else

OK. I'm confused here.:confused:confused:confused:confused:confused I was trying to access the Noob Forum to see about how I would start a thread on my personal build to work on a layout and everything, and it wouldn't let me access it. I don't have anything to really post for it other than a duct tape dummy and pep file pics, but wanted to figure out how I'd go about it. . . . ANYWAY. It kept showing that I didn't have the permission /privilege to do it there. For grins and giggles I went to the Creation Discussion Forum to see what would happen if I tried to start a new thread there. Low-and-behold, it will let me start a new thread there, but I didn't think I had access to start one there, because I think I'm still a Noob. . . .right?:confused Does anyone know why I can do it there, but not where me being a Noob should post? Have I been ranked higher than a Noob now or what's the deal? After doing all this, I noticed that under my name I have "Infantryman" there now, and to be honest. . . I don't know how long that's been there or what it means. I'm so confused and lost right now. I was looking through stuff before putting this up about everything and couldn't find an answer. If anyone can help me with my confusion, I'd appreciate it.

Spartan_127 you'er an Infantryman now, You have been for some time :D YES that means that you're not aloud to post in the Noob section any more. :p So I guess that means that you'll just have to come join the rest of us.:D

Ok Foam board. You can use any type Styrofoam board except the white board(it's made different.) The higher the density the harder it is, That said there are a few trick to work around this. You can use white glue to stiffen up an area to do fine detail with sand paper. Why white glue? because white glue softens in water and/or heat fast and is easier to remove. You can seal the whole project in either wood glue (brushed on) or my Favorite Polycrylic. Once sealed I like to use primer filler (thick primer) to clean it up. From here you can harden and paint it, or mold it. When you look at my M6 Thorn, It was only hardened with 15 coats of Polycrylic so its still soft. So the question would be if you want it to take a beating? If so brush at least 3 coats of resin on and sand before you paint.

Now this is the poor man's way of getting good HD Styrofoam drive/walk around construction areas ( Kid's safely please) where they are doing larger concrete work. They use the foam instead of sand to lighten the build. They will be more than happy to let you pick up anything they are going to throw out, you just have to ask them. :)

If...IF you want to spend the money you can go to you're local collage store and they will have the red foam that is used in prototyping. The should have the smaller block at about $45-$50 range. To rich for you? the next option is cement yards have higher density Styrofoam used in construction it's also very pricey but they may have some broken pieces laying around that want to get rid of (hint, hint. ask for scrapes.)

I hope this helps you, and sorry for being so long winded. :cool

Spartan_127 you'er an Infantryman now, You have been for some time :D YES that means that you're not aloud to post in the Noob section any more. :p So I guess that means that you'll just have to come join the rest of us.:D

I hope this helps you, and sorry for being so long winded. :cool

Thanks a bunch, Thorn. I guess that makes sense. I just don't pay attention to things like that I guess.
And I don't care how long-winded you get. It definitely helps me out when I get those kind of answers. I really appreciate the info.

Photos and an Idea . . .

As promised, here's what the new foam work on the torso looks like while he's wearing it.
DSCF7080.jpg
DSCF7081.jpg
DSCF7082.jpg
DSCF7089.jpg

And here's an idea that I had. I don't want to make things overly complicated, but . . . . WHY NOT!?!?! LOL!!! In lieu of make straps for the biceps to hold them up, I was thinking about making the part of the upper arm and attaching it to the torso and bicep and let that serve as the strap. Here's what I'm talking about.
DSCF7090.jpg
DSCF7092.jpg

I want to play around with it and form it and then I can use velcro or elastic that I have here at the house to attach it. It serves as padding on the bicep and a strap to hold it up. Plus, I think it would complete the look with what I've seen in the reference shots that I have. What are y'all thoughts on it. The look I'm going for is this:
Noble6ShoulderwithRefWriting.png

I think it's doable and after uploading this post. . . . I'm going to get started. . . LOL.

Let me know what you think and as always keep the comments and suggestions coming.

EDIT with UPDATE! and PICS Yaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!

OK. This has been done for about an hour and a half, but I've been chasing a trojan horse virus on my PC. I think I got it fixed though. It was a nasty one too. Since I found the file and restarted I haven't got the pop ups, so it must be gone for now.

So without further delay, this is what the shoulder pieces came out looking like.
DSCF7094.jpg
DSCF7096.jpg
DSCF7095.jpg
DSCF7097.jpg

I just hit the image maximum so I'll continue in another post with the walk around.

That is a sweet idea. Yes...YES. I like IT. You'll have all this mastered by time you get to you'res. :D

Here's the other pics that I wanted to put in that I couldn't in the edit of my last post.

DSCF7101.jpg
DSCF7100.jpg
DSCF7099.jpg
DSCF7098.jpg

That is a sweet idea. Yes...YES. I like IT. You'll have all this mastered by time you get to you'res. :D

Glad you like the idea. I just hope you like the way it turned out.

Right now there is a little piece of velcro that is there holding the biceps in place. I'm thinking it won't be good enough. I need to put in an elastic strap or something so he doesn't have to worry about the way that he moves around. I don't know if all the detail and folds came out in the photos between this post and my edit on the last post. If not, I'll try to take some better ones and get the up. I still have some tweaks and a little detail that I'd like to add, but that's it for now.

Please let me know what you think, and until next time. . . Keep Building and Make it Fun

What about heat???? Are you going to put a fan in the chest plate, or anything to help control over heating. Of course this a Halloween build so it just might be cold were you live that day, I just had to ask. :)

Looks great I like the accuracy of the undersuit details, but how is the mobility, When I tried doing this to my suit all the foam details were making it hard to get my arms up enough to put my helmet on so I had to scarifice accuracy for mobility not to mention the heat build up lol, but man your doing an excellent job with this build, keep up the great work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back