Naval Pilot (update Starting The Full Armor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
been working on it all morning and its ready to start the drying process. As soon as it dries I will be sanding the edges
and lines to get them more smooth and sharpen up the detail. I also need to straighten up some of the symmetry in the O2 mask area.
Let me know what ya think.

P3080235.jpg

P3080233.jpg

P3080236.jpg

P3080237.jpg

Cheers!

Erm... dries??? I hope thats not water-based clay that you're drying over a styrofoam head... if it is you're going to end up with a crackly mess.

Water based clay shrinks by about 7% when it dries, so if it's formed overtop of something that doesn't shrink, it'll crack to pieces as it dries.

It looks absolutely brilliant. I should suspect that you already know this about water based clay, but I thought I should say something just in case. I just don't want you to loose that sculpt.

yeah itswater based I have had really good luck in the past with large pcs sculpted like this if you dry it very slow and hollow the armature out it will shrink with the clay. Its easy to hollow out with a heat gun but you have to wait till it skinns over a bit.

Privateer said:
yeah itswater based I have had really good luck in the past with large pcs sculpted like this if you dry it very slow and hollow the armature out it will shrink with the clay. Its easy to hollow out with a heat gun but you have to wait till it skinns over a bit.

There are other options (like pulling a plaster mold), but if you know what you're doing I shall leave you to it.

If you'll be casting it in rubber, you'll need to seal your clay, otherwise the evaporating water will force itself into the rubber in the form of tiny air bubbles throughout your mold. It's pretty devastating.

It's something to be cautious of, at least. Anyhow if you need any help with the moldmaking, don't be shy to ask. Your sculpt is fantastic. looking forward to seeing it made wearable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that your using the concept pictures as the resource. I would have though you would have gone more of the halo 3 just do to the reference materiel that can be gotten

Great sculpt by the way. But depending on what a pull will cost i would be game for a pull

Then for those who dont know the differences that im talking about (very small but noticeable)

gallery_3419_8_28704.jpg

Would love one of these to go with my marine gear. Keep it up!

Also I agree with 051 on the game model vs. concept but I kind of like the concept better and the Halo Wars zero-G marines kind of agree with the overall design of the concept.

Plus I like anything with extra hoses. Will be watching for an interest list on casts. :)

Im not as thrilled by the H3 version looks to odst for me which I love the helljumpers helm but the pilots are a breed apart and I think the concept looks more the part. Also in the begininng of cole protocol they finally mention a pilot going full vacum gear and for some strange reason this fits the visual I got when I read it lol.

I will be castin as soon as Im happy with the master and the cost will be minimal. I had a few major cracks develop but nothing terrible but I have kept it covered with a lightly damp cloth while it air dries,(seans words ring true here......Damm!) unfortunately while inspecting the damage I noticed the symmetry is way off on the front top and visor area. I looked at it more closely and started taking measurments it was more than Im ready to commit to a cast so I salvaged the O2 mask and sides Then I dremeled the rest off the form. Now Im waiting till tomorrow to go pick up some more sculpting media Im thinking of using firm plasticine or oil clay to alleviate the cracking problem. Friday is the day I hope to start mould making I have vacation time friday through monday so the master should be ready by friday and the mould by sunday I hope.

Look for a intrest list this weekend hopefully.

Cheers! :cool:

Sigma-LS said:
Plus I like anything with extra hoses. Will be watching for an interest list on casts. :)

So the truth comes out on why you like that T-51b helm so much?

But im the same ill be watching for interest list for casts

Well I ditched the clay sculpt completely and started over in favor of sculpting over the visor Im going to use. I started base coating the life-cast yesterday evening and started sculpting this morning I need to finish the back of the neck and Ill be ready to let it chill and harden a bit. The more you work with plastilina the softer it gets and in turn almost impossible to smooth evenly so Im going to set it in the garage where its around 50 that will harden it in a hour or so. Pics up later!!!!!!!!!!

(Update edit!!) I still need to add alot of detail and smooth everything out some more but I have to take the wife to dinner Ill be working on it later again.

P3130241.jpg

P3130240.jpg

P3130242.jpg

Cheers!

Looking good. Sorry to hear that you lost your first sculpt. Water based clay does have it's disadvantages for sculpting armor.. Unless you want to make a plaster mold I wouldn't advise it.

Anyhow, it looks like you're recoup'ed your losses. Let us know if we can help.

-Sean

Well I got it as smooth as I can and the detail I wanted added this morning. I also added a box at the rear for the hoses to connect to then Ill run 2 hoses from there to the chest section on the final suit. The box is a rat shack project enclosure so it will make a perfect place for batteries and circut boards and since you never see the rear of the helm in the pictures theres no reason to say it shouldnt be there lol btw the red strip on the top is just a accent piece to look like a tac rail. Im ready to commit this to moulding let me have and suggestion or CC before to long Ill have it covered in the pink stuff!

P3140244.jpg

P3140245.jpg

P3140247.jpg

P3140243.jpg

Cheers!

Wow, that is looking absolutely fantastic! How much clay did you end up using? I am working on something with similar dimensions and I am not sure if my 20 pounds will be enough. So far it is, but yours is a much closer design than the Spartans.

Can't wait to see the Casts off of that baby! I may just have to make you an offer on one of those.....

Chupathingy said:
Wow, that is looking absolutely fantastic! How much clay did you end up using? I am working on something with similar dimensions and I am not sure if my 20 pounds will be enough. So far it is, but yours is a much closer design than the Spartans.

Can't wait to see the Casts off of that baby! I may just have to make you an offer on one of those.....

I started with one block of white to build up the padding room then 1.5 blocks of grey I guess Iused aproxx. 10 or 12lbs of clay but I started with a oversized head cast it was maybe 1/4" larger than my head all the way around. the sculpt should leave plenty or room for padding, and the black box in the rear will eliminate the need to stuff electrics in with your melon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back