Nerds with Girls???

Status
Not open for further replies.
im a huge nerd, i build armor, collect housands of comic draw cartoons and go to cons but i have never had a problem with girls. and if u have ever seen the pics of my wife on my flickr account then u know its possible for a nerd to get a hot chik

I play more, know more, and can beat more people at my school on video games than anyone else at my school. That being said, getting a girl to actually talk to me is a bit difficult, since I go to your generic small town Wisconsin school.

In case you don't know, that means that if what you talk about isn't primarily penis jokes, say "Dude" whenever you can, and wear a hat barely on your head tilted to the side, and treat girls like complete S***, girls wonder why they should talk to you.

Then they discover that I have a lot of time on my hands, A LOT of time, and I use that time to not get drunk or high, but rather to learn something new, like violin, or how to mix music on programs. Then they realize that I'm just an endless supply of random talents, and they realize that I'm not just some washed up gamer.

Realize now,thet this happens only about once a year.

It's funny because for me I've never met a guy (who lives here) who is as geeky as me..
Oh don't get me wrong there are gamers and comic lovers etc.. But when it comes to being a fan of something.. I end up being the bigger fan and they just don't understand how I can know so much about gaming/movies/comics...

I wouldnt Say im a hardcore nerd as such. I mean, sure i play halo ALOT and amke cardboard armour but i do all sorts of physical stuff too (like parkour and bodyboarding and other stuff like that).
I was never a real big ladies man though. Far too shy. But one of the girls in my class told me about a mont ago that apparently i was part of the usual croud of guys all the girls had things for. go figure.

Gentlemen....Hybrid's are all the rage these days...I suggest you become one yourself!

During the days of my youth, we had our click's, groups, and stereo typical geeks and jocks. I on the other hand, always had an issue with falling into one specific group or the other. I loved games, movies, computers, but I also played football, wrestled, and formed a rugby club. For a few years I even sang and acted in various clubs and programs. I was a skater, a ball player, and when not on the field, a trouble maker. I had girlfriends, got into fights, played ball, painted miniatures and spent hours setting all my GI Joe's, Transformers and Star Wars guys up in my basement in huge, epic mock battles!

Being a well rounded individual, in my opinion, is preferable to subscribing to any one specific type and limiting your social experiences.

For you younger guys out there, try it all! Think of it as "leveling up" your rl toon. Round out your HAM bar, don't blow all your points on one attribute or skill. Round yourself out a bit more, to a versatile class that can work well in multiple scenarios. The Hybrid geek. Able to recount all the famed movie trilogies in depth, craft armor for hours on end, run a seven min mile, fix a car, fire a handgun, get laid, lift their own body weight, fix your own computer, build a work bench, play a contact sport, converse well with strangers, pick up a woman, hold down a job, use head shots to pown nubs, live independently, pay bills, have multiple degrees, grill a steak, start a fire, have owned at least 5 console systems, own a heavy bag and use it regularly, buy a home, have a comic/dvd library, have kids.....all of it!

All I'm saying, and promoting, is that you don't limit yourselves and or LET other people pigeon hole you into thinking you can't HAVE and be ANYTHING you want. You want a girl, ....this is America isn't it? So what's stopping you?

HOO-AH!

T.

In case you don't know, that means that if what you talk about isn't primarily penis jokes, say "Dude" whenever you can, and wear a hat barely on your head tilted to the side, and treat girls like complete S***, girls wonder why they should talk to you.
Dude:) This is still going on? I've been out of the dating game for more years than I care to mention, and I used to complain about the same thing. That's not to say that all women all thruogh histroy, like to be treated like S. But still I guess the whole good guys finish last is still the way of the world.

meh

I end up being the bigger fan and they just don't understand how I can know so much about gaming/movies/comics...
I have to admit, maybe it's me being old fashioned, but I was surprised to see how many Halo costumers in this forum were female. I go to the comic con (and maybe the anime fest this year) and I see plenty of women in costume but I see a lot of Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, Catwoman or something clearly female. But in Halo, the armor hides all of that. For the most part you can barely tell who is male or female. I don't want to generalize and that women will only wear costumes that are feminine, but I often wonder what the thought process is when deciding to don a head to toe suit of armor.

Although I agree that it's easy to label people, I'll use the terms that are widely accepted to make myslef clear.

Are Gamer-girls different from Comic-chicks?

I've had a hard time with girls in that as much as a can become a friend it usually is only friends and if I ask for a date(rather shyly I might add!) it's usually ends up with some sort of rumor being spread.....

mind you I REALLY like the halo series and know too much, play video games, do pepakura, design and draw military related sci-fi stuff, and several other things.... but I got a little bit of game.

then there's the jocks.......
^I was gonna be one myself but my eyes prevented me medically from playing and my grades were a factor as well.

I don't want to generalize and that women will only wear costumes that are feminine, but I often wonder what the thought process is when deciding to don a head to toe suit of armor.

[/I]

Well, I may be misunderstanding you so feel free to correct me - do you mean is there a different thought process for a chick to wear full armor than a guy? If that is the question, I don't think there is a difference. Some guys chose to wear more form-fitting outfits or face characters (IE: superheroes) while others like armor better.

At least for me, I saw the 501st in person for the first time about a year ago and knew I had to get armor. It was that simple. I've always loved armor and big guns in games and in real life. Then, that steamrolled into looking into other genres for other sets of gear. I like the process of gearing up and becoming the character. For the sandtrooper, everyone assumes they will always be guys - I've padded it out where needed to become the character and make the armor look as best as I can. For my ODST, I didn't pad it out as those could technically be females - but just because of the bulk of the gear, it probably looks more masculine lol.

I can attest to getting mauled by chicks (who assume I'm a guy until I speak) while I'm in the armor though, so that's something for the guys to keep in mind. Stormtrooper armor's a chick magnet. xD

I've had a hard time with girls in that as much as a can become a friend it usually is only friends and if I ask for a date(rather shyly I might add!) it's usually ends up with some sort of rumor being spread.....

mind you I REALLY like the halo series and know too much, play video games, do pepakura, design and draw military related sci-fi stuff, and several other things.... but I got a little bit of game.

then there's the jocks.......
^I was gonna be one myself but my eyes prevented me medically from playing and my grades were a factor as well.

Don't worry buddy, they'll all get whats coming to them. Just worry about what you love to do now, because it's going to get harder to find time for games and such when you're out there trying to make something for yourself. And it will all be worth it when you go home and find those jocks and popular girls didn't amount to anything, got fat, and are working those blue collar factory jobs living with their rich mommys and daddys. Getting out of the small town trashcanistan I grew up in was the best decision I ever made.

mwahahahaha

It is actually pretty funny... i rarely meet a guy that is as nerdy as me. .. i might not look like a nerd.. but i always been a gamer, a cosplayer.. a manga/anime artist/fan, and a huge comic book/movie fan. I am pretty proud of my nerdness.. infact i am working on my 3D animation and graphic design degree and i want to get into the gaming industry... but my interest does not stop there.. i love camping.. hiking, shooting (i currently own a 9mm and a gun collection at some point), skiing, sports.. and ironically i also sing opera semi professionally and perform 2 shows a year at theaters.. on top of that i even modeled professionally out high-school.. anyway.. my hole point.. is.. don't categorize yourself in one thing.. but just be a well rounded person.. a lot of people seem to just categorize themselves in one group.. but you don't have to be.. just experiment with different things and give it a chance.. who knows what you might find out... and high school is just 4 years of your life.. and that is usually a time people are unsure of who they really are.. so don't worry about it.. and besides.. I have a strong belief that no one.. guys or girl is out of your reach (okay.. maybe movie stars are.. but) .. ANYONE can generally get whoever they want.. its have confidence about yourself and be you!!

I can attest to getting mauled by chicks (who assume I'm a guy until I speak) while I'm in the armor though, so that's something for the guys to keep in mind. Stormtrooper armor's a chick magnet. xD
Hey Rumble, I thought you were a guy when I saw your avatar. Sorry.:)

Yeah, I might have to sound like a jerk(trust me I'm not) but, the way society at large creates gender roles for boys and girls at such an early age is pretty hard to resist. It's so easy for boys to wind up playing soldier and leaning toward guns and 'macho stuff' while girls get pressured into what a friend calls the The Pink Triad. Pink tea sets pink dolls and pink clothing. I mean even Mcdonalds happy meals contain Batman action figures for boys versus American Heritage dolls for girls.

*I'll get back on topic before this becomes a tangent in the worst way.*

Getting back to the dress up, I've always figured costuming was an extension of the gender roles we knew as a child. It's still dress up but "boys" get decked out in armor and guns, while "girls" get capes and skirts. So when I see the women in these forums doing decidedly NON-typical activities like inhaling all sorts of toxic fumes to make an outfit that basically makes her anonymously androgynous, I have to wonder why you ladies are the way you are. Like, what happened to make you stray from the path virtually set before you. I'm always curious about Nature versus Nurture.

I have a 6 year old son who loves Star Wars. He owns various Anakins and several Padmes. Unlike the vintage collection I've amassed which is has nary a DOLL in sight.
My daughter is 2 and a half years old and although she gets dressed in pink alot, she has shown a preference for purple. She is also an avid watcher of Thomas the train and toy cars. I'm doing my part to try and avoid reinforcing stereotypes in my children not only for equality but to open vast other avenues they may otherwise shy away/be driven from...Like armor creation. :)

Yeah, I might have to sound like a jerk(trust me I'm not) but, the way society at large creates gender roles for boys and girls at such an early age is pretty hard to resist. It's so easy for boys to wind up playing soldier and leaning toward guns and 'macho stuff' while girls get pressured into what a friend calls the The Pink Triad. Pink tea sets pink dolls and pink clothing. I mean even Mcdonalds happy meals contain Batman action figures for boys versus American Heritage dolls for girls.

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. I'm one of those guys who gets mad at other guys when they don't let the girl (who is really interested in the whatever it is the guys are doing) into their group, simply because shes a girl... The fact that more girls are getting into things like gaming and Halo, (and turning out to better than us guys in some cases), I think is absolutely awesome! Sadly, where I've grown up, the guy-girl sterotype is still in force. :/

Thanks, now you did it. Now I actually have to find a girl somewhere close by who has and wears such costumes (any female German Spartans here? Stromtroopers? R2D2s? Anything?). Because I really want to see the look on the other girls' faces when they find out :-D

I have to admit, maybe it's me being old fashioned, but I was surprised to see how many Halo costumers in this forum were female.

I was surprised about that as well. But what surprised me even more was that some of them are actually here "alone", i.e. without any boyfriends/husbands/siblings forcing them to join. You know, like: "Hey Barbie, I really need a Cortana to sit on that new Holoprojector-Prop on my arm piece! So either we paint you up all blue or I won't repair your XBox!"

Hey Rumble, I thought you were a guy when I saw your avatar. Sorry.:)

*I'll get back on topic before this becomes a tangent in the worst way.*

Getting back to the dress up, I've always figured costuming was an extension of the gender roles we knew as a child. It's still dress up but "boys" get decked out in armor and guns, while "girls" get capes and skirts. So when I see the women in these forums doing decidedly NON-typical activities like inhaling all sorts of toxic fumes to make an outfit that basically makes her anonymously androgynous, I have to wonder why you ladies are the way you are. Like, what happened to make you stray from the path virtually set before you. I'm always curious about Nature versus Nurture.

I have a 6 year old son who loves Star Wars. He owns various Anakins and several Padmes. Unlike the vintage collection I've amassed which is has nary a DOLL in sight.
My daughter is 2 and a half years old and although she gets dressed in pink alot, she has shown a preference for purple. She is also an avid watcher of Thomas the train and toy cars. I'm doing my part to try and avoid reinforcing stereotypes in my children not only for equality but to open vast other avenues they may otherwise shy away/be driven from...Like armor creation. :)

Nah, I didn't take your post to be from a jerk - I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the meaning behind it. It may have helped that I was on the tomboy side of life, but my parents let me decide if I wanted to play with dolls or play with Batman figures. In that way, they let me pursue whatever non-harming activities I wanted to try. I definitely understand where you're coming from as far as what American culture tries to input in kids. (I specify American because that's what we seem to be talking about here. It varies based on the given culture). It sounds like you're doing a good job of letting your kids be themselves.

I was quite happy to see all the chicas on here, actively working on armor. There's a fair bit of us out there, but it's always cool to run into someone else who shares your interests, regardless of gender. Just a little extra cool when it's another chick lol.

I was surprised about that as well. But what surprised me even more was that some of them are actually here "alone", i.e. without any boyfriends/husbands/siblings forcing them to join. "

Very true. I think in this case, nerds can get a shot at some girlfriend material. So the OP question of Nerds with Girls??? answers itself...almost. Like ~Rumble says it's a place to find people with common interests.

@~Rumble thanks for the compliment. it sounds like your parents did what with you what I'm trying to do with my 2 little spudniks. I would hate to think that I somehow indirectly we pressured them to do something they didn't want to do, thus keeping their true personalities from emerging. As an aside, I remember reading what almost became Rhinoc's goodbye post and feeling very sad. His honesty was heartwarming, but to each parent his own. Ultimately he stayed on but I'm sure there's OTHER stuff going on with that situation.

Relationships are overrated. I don't have one, nor do I desire one. I'd rather play with my computers and build armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back