New Member/First ODST build

Ninix

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ninix from South FL. I recently started getting into cosplay and conventions just about a year ago, so all of this is new to me. I decided to jump in feet first with my first ever build (ODST). This past Megacon (Orlando) was the first time I got to show it off and I'm very excited to continue with some improvements and add-ons. Figured I'd drop in here and say hello, and get some feedback on what you guys think.

As for the build I have never done anything like this before, so I kinda went in blindly and followed the ODST Cosplay guide from halo waypoint the best I could. All the hard armor parts are 3-D printed besides the helmet. The helmet is a resin cast with a vacuum formed visor.

Hope to see some of you guys around! Feel free to ask question or give feedback on your thoughts. I also have a IG I made if that might be easier to reach me if you ever want to meet up at the next con. (NinixTheReaper)

ODST 1.jpg
ODST 2.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really clean build, well done Ninix! That looks suspiciously like From the Brinks files, am I right? Also, what material did you print your suit out of?

That's a really clean build, well done Ninix! That looks suspiciously like From the Brinks files, am I right? Also, what material did you print your suit out of?
You are correct! Sorry I should of listed where the files are from. All of the armor files (Besides the helmet) are "From the brinks". The helmet was a raw resin cast supplied from BranfuhrStudios that I then sanded/finished. Lastly the SMG was a 3D file from AguilarWorkshop. All the 3D files were printed in PETG on an Ender5plus. It took some time (And many failed prints) to learn how to use the printer. But in the end it worked out, and I think I mostly have it dialed in now to make my next projects a lot easier.

I'm familiar with all three! My first suit was from Brink, and my current project is from Aguilar. Well, mostly at any rate. I don't have anything from Branfuhr, but I've heard good things. PETG is a great choice for South Florida, and yeah, the learning curve is steep. If you ever have questions, we have a lot of 3D printers here who have made most mistakes at least once before.

Looks fantastic! Working on my first build as well using Brink's files. Do you by chance have any pictures of your torso attachment system? Curious to see how others have been doing it as I'm just about at the painting/strapping phase.

Looks fantastic! Working on my first build as well using Brink's files. Do you by chance have any pictures of your torso attachment system? Curious to see how others have been doing it as I'm just about at the painting/strapping phase.
Oh Oh Oh!!! I have photos of mine!
20220815_210811.jpg

Little hard to see, but those 6 silver dots? Those are snaps! I just straight snapped the chest plate to the shoulder pads, which where glued to the back plates. I used two pieces of webbing to connect the power core to the chest plate, and everything just hung off my shoulders via padded straps. Worked like a charm!

Thanks! So below is the back side of my torso and belt armor. Pretty much all the attachment of the armor is done with nylon webbing and buckles. The chest plate clips onto my shoulder straps which is then attached to my back plates (not in photo). I then attached the chest plate to the rest of the torso armor with a thick band of elastic webbing. (I believe it actually is webbing used for furniture I had laying around) It pretty tough but allows some flex and movement between the parts. EVA foam was then used for the rest of the torso armor and attachments. I then glued/attached two more nylon straps that run horizontal around my body to attach to the rear armor. This allows me to tighten the armor to my torso/upper abdomen. Now the belt armor in the lower picture I actually attached to my chest plate. I did this recently, as it keeps the belt armor from slipping down too low and creating a gap.

Honestly the hardest part of the armor to fit for me was the thighs/shins. I'm a pretty tall/big guy and these parts had to be sized up. I'm not sure if due to the increased size I had these issues. However my knee plates were constantly rubbing/getting hooked onto my thigh armor. So I actually had to attach my thigh armor to my belt to keep it higher off my knees. Then I also had to shave down some of the back of the knee armor so it wouldn't collide.

Let me know if you run into any issues or need anymore help/advise! Definitely share some pictures once your finished too!

20230523_062711.jpg

I ended up getting a chest rig and gun belt for mine, I haven't actually tried strapping everything up yet but a quick test fit and I think it should all work out. The chest rig I was thinking of taking the velcro panel off entirely, but might leave it and strap a voice amp to it, haven't decided yet. I was trying to plan ahead for cons and needing bathroom breaks, so having the velcro two part belt might be good for that. If it doesn't work I have enough webbing and whatnot to make something different but I'm optimistic.

Attachments

• image_2023-05-23_233152987.png
    image_2023-05-23_233152987.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Gun Belt.jpg
    Gun Belt.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 75
I ended up getting a chest rig and gun belt for mine, I haven't actually tried strapping everything up yet but a quick test fit and I think it should all work out. The chest rig I was thinking of taking the velcro panel off entirely, but might leave it and strap a voice amp to it, haven't decided yet. I was trying to plan ahead for cons and needing bathroom breaks, so having the velcro two part belt might be good for that. If it doesn't work I have enough webbing and whatnot to make something different but I'm optimistic.
That should work nicely! Let me know how it goes!

As for the bathroom breaks, I gave up on that lmao. It's way to much work to try and get my stuff off, so its not happening until I get back to the hotel.

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back