New to 3d Printing

Chiefmartin650

Hello all, sorry for the bother, im new to 3d printing. My hands don't work like they used to so i wanted to move from EVA foam and try 3d printing. My buddy is letting me use his printer, it is a Bambu Lab X1-Carbon. Right now I saw there are files for a set of MC suit from Infinite. But I wanted to know if anyone has used the files from these sellers and any feed back on them is very much appreciated. As I start this "Great Journey" I'll post updates of my work

1-The first files i saw and was interested in were by InstinctCreative3D

2-The other files i saw were by Galactic Armory

If you used these files could you please tell me, as a new guy, how they well they worked or if there were any problems using those files.

A few things:
First - Even Aaron from Galactic Armory says those files which are some of his earlier work needs to be remastered. Myself and others will attest to them being WAY thick, bulky and hard to actually wear. So maybe the the other set. Or Moe has a set for free on thingiverse as well as silver timeline mods/updates for that set if it interests you.
Second - The X1C is a really nice printer. No doubt. But you know its small, right? So most of your things are going to be printed in multiple pieces and you'll be doing lots of plastic welding, glueing, maybe fiberglassing the insides, to make them robust enough to wear. Plenty of people go that route but I mention it because you said you have some limitations on your hands so that work might be problematic.
Third - speaking of hand limitations... You've read how much sanding is involved in 3d printed armor, right?

A few things:
First - Even Aaron from Galactic Armory says those files which are some of his earlier work needs to be remastered. Myself and others will attest to them being WAY thick, bulky and hard to actually wear. So maybe the the other set. Or Moe has a set for free on thingiverse as well as silver timeline mods/updates for that set if it interests you.
Second - The X1C is a really nice printer. No doubt. But you know its small, right? So most of your things are going to be printed in multiple pieces and you'll be doing lots of plastic welding, glueing, maybe fiberglassing the insides, to make them robust enough to wear. Plenty of people go that route but I mention it because you said you have some limitations on your hands so that work might be problematic.
Third - speaking of hand limitations... You've read how much sanding is involved in 3d printed armor, right?
I saw the files from Moe, im completely new to all this, i have seen how much work it takes to the Bondo and sanding. I have tried going the commission route but some of the quotes i get just seem to much for me. So i wanted to try it myself, i just got armorsmith last night and checking it out as i type this.

Si im using armor smith and i do my measurements but why does my model look so off and fat.....i mean i know im fat but not like this hahaah, any suggestions?

Si im using armor smith and i do my measurements but why does my model look so off and fat.....i mean i know im fat but not like this hahaah, any suggestions?
Armorsmith isn't perfect, here is my avatar vs a 3d scan of myself.
b00e5c11fc975ee323481d76db1fd398.png

I would use your avatar as a general reference, but I would recommend doing manual measurements with tape, a cutout of the area, whatever will help you understand the general scale. I would also recommend getting a 3d scan of yourself if possible, some fitness and health companies offer them.

w
View attachment 345010
I would use your avatar as a general reference, but I would recommend doing manual measurements with tape, a cutout of the area, whatever will help you understand the general scale. I would also recommend getting a 3d scan of yourself if possible, some fitness and health companies offer them.
what did you do to 3d scan yourself and when you did it were you able to import that to somehow to armorsmith to adjust your model to it?
I did the tape measurements on my body like it asks me when starting up armorsmith but when i enter them my guy somes out all big and wide, i know im fat but not like this model....i mean i hope not ahahah

w

what did you do to 3d scan yourself and when you did it were you able to import that to somehow to armorsmith to adjust your model to it?
I did the tape measurements on my body like it asks me when starting up armorsmith but when i enter them my guy somes out all big and wide, i know im fat but not like this model....i mean i hope not ahahah
The first time I got a scan at a cool-sculpting office, the second time I got it done at a weight-loss company. I found these companies by googling "3D body scan in (insert your location here)" Before making an appointment, I asked if they were able to export the model in an STL file and send it through Google Drive. I measured my height in the pose I was in during the scan and scaled accordingly.

So i think im getting the hang out it, i re did my model like 10 times to what i felt looked more like me. Thank you to so many for listening to me and letting me bother you. Doing arms right now cause the chest was/is driving me crazy

Attachments

• Screenshot bicep setup.jpeg
    Screenshot bicep setup.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 345010
I too also struggled to get my shoulders to fit right in armorsmith.
Hello all, sorry for the bother, im new to 3d printing. My hands don't work like they used to so i wanted to move from EVA foam and try 3d printing. My buddy is letting me use his printer, it is a Bambu Lab X1-Carbon. Right now I saw there are files for a set of MC suit from Infinite. But I wanted to know if anyone has used the files from these sellers and any feed back on them is very much appreciated. As I start this "Great Journey" I'll post updates of my work

1-The first files i saw and was interested in were by InstinctCreative3D

2-The other files i saw were by Galactic Armory

If you used these files could you please tell me, as a new guy, how they well they worked or if there were any problems using those files.
Sounds like the start of a Great Journey indeed!

Last edited:
I too also struggled to get my shoulders to fit right in armorsmith.

Sounds like the start of a Great Journey indeed!
im still having trouble getting the chest to fit around my shoulders and the holes for the arms to come out. I feel like i got the thighs and forearms down. Im mainly scared doing the helmet tbh

I am currently at this point of my armorsmith progress
I scaled the forearms to what i like, same for the bicep. Trying ym best for the thighs. The shins are giving me a porblem to make sure the boot covers dont hit each other to were i cant wear them or walk correctly

Attachments

• Screenshot body.jpeg
    Screenshot body.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 21
When scaling for chest, keep in mind arm mobility. Feel where your arm pivots, and make sure your armor doesn't overly restrict that. Think of how a vest is cut, because that's what chest armor essentially is, a metal vest.

If you have an old Kinect there’s a program that uses it to make 3D scans. I did one of my upper body to help with scaling and making exact fit items.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back