Noble Spartan(mod's/add-on's begin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome job Thorn. It really came together. It sexy...lol. Keep up the great work!
Thanks, I'm just trying to keep up with you'res.
Love the suit, it looks amazing!
Thanks.:) I'm looking forward to seeing how you're comes out,
nice hope mine turns out that well
Thank you. All it takes is a little work and, a whole lot of time. Just stick with it, and post pic's

:confused
Now time for a Quick question for everyone?....Ah....what is Cos-Play at a Con? How do you Cos-play a Spartan. Think I can just get away with walking around like myself....a Former Marine?

...Now time for a Quick question for everyone?....Ah....what is Cos-Play at a Con? How do you Cos-play a Spartan. Think I can just get away with walking around like myself....a Former Marine?

I am hardly an expert, having so far attended two conventions, however I have also marched in at least a dozen parades and charity events in the last year.

"Cos-Play" is short for 'costumed role playing'. Back in the day, we just called it wearing a costume. The new term came into vogue with the popularity of Japanese animation and fans who not only dressed like their characters but acted like them for entire conventions.

Technically, I guess you are a "cos-player". But I've found that the true "cos-players" attend the convention to represent an entire stream of their favourites, many changing costume for each panel or event. What I call "heavy armour" cos-players like us and the 501st folks have too much money/time/effort invested in one costume too want to take it off :) Not to worry, there will be photo opportunities and other fun stuff the entire event, especially work of your caliber.

As to how to cos-play a Spartan? I too am military (current Royal Canadian Navy) so I just act like I would in uniform. Handle your prop as if it were a real weapon. People who have no idea about weapons training still note that there is something "cool" about how you handle it. Standing properly instead of slouching, etc, basically military bearing and deportment. People REALLY notice that. I was once in an area with a guy whose costume was far better than mine (you won't need to worry much about this either), but many told me that I made a far more "realistic and convincing" chief.

Most of all, have fun! At my first con (and it was a large one) I stopped every hour to have a "fortified refreshment" at the events watering hole. My stopping in regularly became a minor event of its' own, and people would talk to me about the costume or the convention happenings, but generally no requests for pics until I put the helmet back on and was back on watch :)

Again, great work, I hope we have an opportunity to troop together, but in the meantime, trust me you'll have a BLAST! You deserve it after all the work. For other hints, look for the thread I started entitled "Never been to a Convention..." in the 405th Discussion section of these forums. (My apologies for the length of the post).

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this looks fantastic =D well done man, well done. keep up the antastic work and so excited to see it complete =D good luck

Are you actually using a PGP as the side arm in those pictures or are my eyes messing with me?
Why Yes, Yes they are. You're eyes are just fine. They were getting old and dusty, so I cleaned them up and bolted them on.

I love it! Great detail and amazing pep work.

DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this looks fantastic =D well done man, well done. keep up the antastic work and so excited to see it complete =D good luck

Thank you to all whom have been following this build and have either inspired or supported me.

And thank you greatly Roadkiller for you're input on Cos Play. It pretty much is what I though but I just wanted to make sure. The " Standing properly instead of slouching, etc, basically military bearing and deportment." did make me laugh thou, I have as yet been able to slouch in full armor. I've tried there's just not enuff room.:D ( to all non-military there nothing to see here, just move on) let alone the Marine brainwashing...oops I mean training.;) As for you're write up it was very well done, A should read for all.

Ok time for the next Noob (that would be me) question. under-suit when I think of the under-suit I think of the front and back sub panels that I plain on adding later on but the "if you only had a decent under-suit" seems to be hitting me hard, so the question would be. What is suggested as being a decent under-suit?
At this time my clothing is as following: Underarmor turtleneck Blk., 511 Tactical pants Blk., Tactical Underarmor Hood Blk. , and the finger-less gloves shown.

Well till next time, live, build, and enjoy life.

i second the brianwa...er training as a former marine myself. but as far as the under suit i have been barking up that tree since halo 3 armor was big (way before reach) many people used wetsuits motorcycle suits paintball gear and tactical gear (for those who have access to such things) any way in the end i have found you get what is closest to what you want and customize it as best to your ability. oh and make sure you can breath nothing is more useless than an overheated soldier.

You really knocked it out of the park buddy. The suit looks great! You should be proud of what you've accomplished!:)

i second the brianwa...er training as a former marine myself. but as far as the under suit i have been barking up that tree since halo 3 armor was big (way before reach) many people used wetsuits motorcycle suits paintball gear and tactical gear (for those who have access to such things) any way in the end i have found you get what is closest to what you want and customize it as best to your ability. oh and make sure you can breath nothing is more useless than an overheated soldier.
Yes the over heating thing dose have me worried a little. I know I need to go buy a different hood and shirt being booth a are my cold weather gear, And well...as a 43 yr male I just don't seem to own allot of spandex if you know what I mean. :) But I digress, I do plan on going and buying those 2 items this weekend and take a look around the sporting goods store. Who knows what I'll find, And thank you for the quick response.
You really knocked it out of the park buddy. The suit looks great! You should be proud of what you've accomplished!:)

Thanks vshore100 coming from you that means allot.

I'm Very Happy with what I made and there are no complaints on my end, I just want to spice it up a bit after this years advents. Time frames got in the way this year, but with the BASIC suit done, I have all the time in the world to dink around with it :D

Of course I still have to research lighting. :cool

no problem glad i could help good luck if you need help im currently designing a new cooling system so just hit me up hopefully if work allows ill have it finished by Halloween.

I use motocross "armour" as my undersuit. By carefully unstitching some panels in the front and back and removing the foam "armour" inside, I created pockets. I put frozen gel packs in them. It works pretty well.

I use motocross "armour" as my undersuit. By carefully unstitching some panels in the front and back and removing the foam "armour" inside, I created pockets. I put frozen gel packs in them. It works pretty well.

Oh yes. I love the Gel packs. I use those under my REAL body armor while on duty. They help allot especially when the temp. gets over 95. they are a real life saver. As for the Motocross armor I'll have to look into that when I get a better budget. Thank you for the input

Thorn,
I found some good quality and inexpensive underamour style gear at Walmart. If you can spend the extra for UnderArmour brand then I strongly suggest using the "HeatGear" line. It is 100% cooler under the fiberglass. I also found a $20 paintball padded vest at Walmart. It is made by JT and you can easily sew into the material because it is cotton. I have plans to add the midsection pattern from the game using some simple sewing. The JT vest already has some basic pattern to it and if you look at how its made you can see how to simply add any pattern you want. Pair that with some elbow and knee pads for those details and it think you'll be set. If you want, PM me and I can take pics of the JT vest and the sewing I'm talking about.

Starvinartist Seems to have the best quick fix to the under suit as of right now So I't sounds like I'll be running to Walmart's this weekend. :D Thank you Starvinartist for the assistance.

Your work is very impressive, but I was wondering what file you used for the boots, and does the file come 3 piece or did you modify it with well placed cuts? the model I was going to use is a single piece and i really like the 3 piece for flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back