ODST Build By Kusak3 and Ashuraa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay has been some time. But recently pulled my armor out to get ready for SCI Fi Valley con. And did the holy cow we have problems. It did not store well over the winter and I had a bunch of seam seperation. I will fully take the blame because I was still in the using Hot glue when I build those parts. So I promptly went on the war path and began to replace the worst of the parts with the intent to totally rebuild my armor from the ground up and just try to bring it a step further in the quality level. Anyhow. Enough talk here are some pictures for all of you.
complete torso.jpg
hipp plate.jpg
butt plate.jpg
belt and groin.jpg
This was about a day and a half of work. It is a mix of Lex files and JTM with some Hugh buckles and shoulders guards to follow in the next few days. The chest piece has enough space hidden in the back of it I intend to add a small fan to help keep me a bit cooler. Soon as I get some paint here I am going to get the base color of black on and then dry brush it out with some German Field Grey. Then get the entire match strapped back together. I am hoping to have the shoulder guards done here in a day or two more. The hips, shins and bracers will all be waiting till after Sci Fi. Also looking into doing a rebuild of my helmet both in Foam and once I get into the fall looking to also 3d print one being I have access to a printer.

Did some digging around here and to celebrate getting my deployment Tier 1. And to show how an armor can progress over time as you keep working on it. I dug up some pictures of the 3 versions of my suit that currently exist.

Version 1. Foam body. Pepakura helmet. This sucker nearly gave me heat exhaustion in the middle of winter. Things I learned from it. Sizing matters a lot. I was so wide in this sucker I couldnt get through a 36 inch door because of the shoulders. I did not have good range of motion. My detail and precision in my builds seriously lacked.

kusak v 1.1.jpgkusak v1.2.jpg474 v 1.jpg

Version 2. Was built based on the basics of version 1. I build it over a 4 month period from the wearing of v1 at setsucon to the time of Sci fi valley con last year. I rebuilt the chest and ab sections as well as the shoulders bringing them more into scale. The chest in this version has a lot more detail in it/more 3d as do the shoulders.

kusak v2.2.jpgkusak v 2.1.jpg474 v 2.jpg

Version 3. I wore this to Sci Fi here in 2016. Helmet still the same. Amusingly so are the forearms, Legs, and shins. But there days are limited for a reason that is about to be explained. After Sci Fi last year my armor got put away in storage in our garage. About 2 months after Sci Fi I simply lost interest nothing on the horizon to encourage me to work on my gear. I did some messing around with my M247 and some 3d prints of M6 pistols for our costumes but I simply didnt take the time to pull my armor out of totes. fast forward to about 2 months before sci Fi. For some reason I decided to pull my armor out. I think I was debating the repaint of the current colors. Suddenly I discover that I had seams splitting in the chest, Ab and shoulder pieces. I could of tossed some hot Glue at them and fixed them. But this had been the second time that we have had hot glue separate on us and I happened to remember the small lecture I got about not using Hot glue from a certain other gentlemen in our ranks that I rather respect the work of. So I rebuilt those pieces using contact adhesive and my trusty band saw to achieve a higher level of cut precision in my parts. So going forward Hot glue and anyone who encourages people to use it and or even suggests it in my presence is very likely to find themselves short an ear or two from me chewing it off.

I also added groin and butt plates to my armor. The belt buckle is currently MIA because it simply does not fit well with my spare tire. But I do have a completed one. Also added this year was a cooling fan in my helmet as well as I removed the front center section of my flak vest under my chest and ab armor so I could install a fan behind the chest plate and also increase my ability to move around smoothly and do things like bend over.
kusakdeploymentfront.jpgkusakdeploymentside.jpgkusakdeploymentback.jpgkusakdeploymentside2.jpg

So where do we go now. The pictures above are the ones I submitted for my deployment status and I got excellent feed back from the folks who handle that. They ranked me as a tier 1 which I find perfectly correct at this stage. I need to add boot covers, Hand armor, and Neck cover. They suggested a full flak vest to hide a bit more of my strapping. Which to be honest I eliminated the front portion of my flak vest in the transition from v2 to v3 due to heat issues. I will be doing some snooping in the days to come to hide the strapping. I am currently working on replacing my forearms finally got a file that I can work easily and simply need to build them now. I have also gotten the files for new shin pieces that will add a lot of detail to them. Boot covers should also be done in a few days. Neck cover is already done. I noted some gloves at the one sporting goods store near me that have armor on the back of the hand they will do nicely to fill the void. The only other major piece on my radar is my thighs and I need to go unfold/find a file that I can work. Once those pieces the last of the hot glue will be gone from my armor. And never again. My pepeakura helmet continues to soldier on but its replacement is sitting beside me now. I just finished a foam build of a halo 4 ODST helmet and I am rather happy with it. It still needs a visor and some cleaning/gap filling on the outside. But I am also working an unfold of my own of a Halo 3 ODST helmet. Some small differences that are obvious between the two.

13503016_1193506020683353_4725828181883658573_o.jpg

I am also going back and forth with my wife ashuraa and building a me a screen/lore acurate ODST field dress uniform to wear under my armor. Hopefully next year it will be ready. We are also going to try to add a few more small con's/events to our schedule every few months to keep us motivated and excited about working on our stuff. To give us deadlines to encourage us to move along.

I will continue to build and improve on my ODST but it is also going to have to share my time as I am also starting a Halo 5 Guardian Helljumper. Still staying with the ODST concept but moving forward

hey! I am fresh to this site, and am starting an odst build myself and was wondering what tips you might have to get the pep of the helmet that cleanly put together. I am redoing my pep since I need to rescale it, and the flaps just aren't sticking that well. Any pro tips at all would be great, especially anything you wish you had done earlier in the build.

Love the walk through if how your armour has evolved, thanks!

Congratulations on your deployment.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

hey! I am fresh to this site, and am starting an odst build myself and was wondering what tips you might have to get the pep of the helmet that cleanly put together. I am redoing my pep since I need to rescale it, and the flaps just aren't sticking that well. Any pro tips at all would be great, especially anything you wish you had done earlier in the build.

One, do not use hotglue to pep with. use super glue, or contact glue. Patience is a must.

If you are talking about the helmet that is at the very bottom of my last post.
13503016_1193506020683353_4725828181883658573_o.jpg That one in particular. It is not a pepakura build. It is a pep converted to foam build The clean lines on that come from I was making use of my band saw to cut the foam so I was setting all of my cuts exactly for the angel I wanted..

My helmet I am wearing with my deployment pictures is a Pepakura build. It was my first piece I built and it actually took me 3 attempts to pep it out. Patience patience and more patience with pep. And I agree with my wife skip the hot glue on the pep build. It does not generate as clean of a finished item. It will slow your build time down which means you will want to start different sections of the piece so you can move from one section to another while you wait for glue to dry.

Things I wish I had done different. Never ever should of used hot glue in any of my foam builds. Contact adhesive or Barge cement. I am finally replacing the last few pieces that have hot glue in them. And good riddance.
No plasti dip ever ever again. Another product I was lectured to stop using by Doc Dailey. And I agree with him completely now. Plastic safe spray paint or custom mixed acrylic house paint work just fine.

One big tip. Patience. Dont be afraid to make a piece and learn from it and at the end start the piece all over again and apply what you learned. My armor has advanced by me building a piece learning new things and then I wear it to a con or event and learn a few more things. Then I come home and dig back into the pieces that I found were the problem and rebuild them to adjust for what I learned.

Also find out what other 405th members are close to you and reach out to them. When you work completely alone you trap yourself in a bubble and you dont often see other options that other may have found out. Or you learn them the long hard way when they could of pointed you at it and saved you a bunch of time and money.

One of the nice things with me and Kusak living together is that we learn from each other. He and I have such very different methods of building. He comes at it from doing wood working and such. I come at it from making clothing and being a seamstress. We bounce ideas off of each other, or we will go build things differently, and talk about what worked and what didnt, and then we sorta combine skills.

All of this is part of why we are trying to host build days with our regiment on a simi regular basis now.

Well got a few more of my pieces finished/upgraded. Here be the boot armor complete except for a bit of dry brush work that I need to do.
13606961_1202371576463464_4394085664255379272_n.jpg

New thighs completed as well. First picture is the old thigh for a comparison.
13606987_1202371569796798_9123072320472299547_n.jpg

And then we have the new HD version just waiting for ashuraa to do her magic on the seams and then I can put the paint and strapping to them.
13612218_1202371573130131_2280983902202984706_n.jpg

Once again it has been awhile. No pictures today but a bit of an update. Got the thighs base painted they are just waiting for the grey dry brush and a matte coat to tie the colors together and then strapping and they are ready to go. Intend to have them ready for the Halloween parade we are planing to be in with a few others of the colonial. I also did new forearms that a lot more detail not 100 percent on them though going to try them out I am on that they almost feel to small line but at the same time they stay on well. <shrugs> test drive if I am not satisfied I will rebuild them.

I am currently into rebuilding the Halo 4 ODST helmet. Sizing <growls> sizing sizing sizing. I hate it. I have about 2 inches of padding in the helmet. A bit much. I really do despise the fact that I wear glass's and I cant handle contacts and I simply cannot go without my glasses for long. But anyhow I have another one about half done and yet again sizing strikes. I am not going to scream yet till I finish it and make sure but I think I am verging on to small with this one. All else fails the wife will have a new helmet for her or we will finish it out and sell it one or the other.. On the brite side of this I am going to figure out what dimensions I need being I am keeping a listing on the dimensions I have used. When I get it pinned down and get a good foam build I will have the info to finish the model I am working on that I want to do on my 3d printer. Because simply put foam and some contact glue is cheap and it doesnt take me a lot of time to rattle out a foam build. In comparison a couple rolls of PLA and many many hours of print time to find out I have it wrong is not funny. Considering that I have a couple of commissions that are taking a lot of print time cant afford to have the printer tied up making a fail.

But anyhow. Should have some pictures soon. going to spend some of my free time here soon finishing up and getting ready for the halloween parade and get some new pictures to submit to also upgrade my deployment If all goes well.

Looking great! Cant wait to see more :thumbsup Good luck with your forearms and helmet, I totally understand the sizing issue its always a hit and miss for me trying to get the perfect fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back