ODST Dare Foam Build (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such clean pepping on the helmet! Cant wait to see it finished.

Also I think that the back looks amazing and like a perfect fit! The strapping that you used looks really lightweight and convenient to put on and move in as well.

As for the chest piece being to high up? I think its the perfect length! And very accurate to the in game model:
halo3_odst-dare.jpg

Such clean pepping on the helmet! Cant wait to see it finished.

Also I think that the back looks amazing and like a perfect fit! The strapping that you used looks really lightweight and convenient to put on and move in as well.

As for the chest piece being to high up? I think its the perfect length! And very accurate to the in game model:
halo3_odst-dare.jpg

Woot! Thanks for the awesome reference pic :) As for the strapping, I definitely want this suit to be something I can move around in with some degree of comfort and I want it to be something I can put on/take off by myself. Ergo... elastic and velcro.

nice job cant wait to see it finished and what is you idea for the under suit

I’m thinking black underarmor shirt and black bdu pants. I’ve seen a lot of other ODSTs here on the forum do something similar. It’s simple, reasonably accurate, and I’ve already got both parts!

Now Update Time!

My helmet is fully pepped, resined, and rondoed.

You might notice the reddish color of my resined helmet. This is because I harden my pepakura with resin mixed with half bondo hardener (the cream stuff) and half the resin liquid hardener. I do this because it makes the resin less drippy and it lets me see that I’ve applied it evenly all over. I got the idea from a car repair forum. :)

Also I didn’t resin/rondo most of that inner visorish part because it’s just getting cut out anyway. It’s essentially the support for the visor area so it keeps it’s shape until hardened.

More to come soon. Very soon. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to have noticed that you have less pieces than the usual smooth recon pep file. Did you unfold it in a different way? Or did you happen to have a different file altogether?

I seem to have noticed that you have less pieces than the usual smooth recon pep file. Did you unfold it in a different way? Or did you happen to have a different file altogether?

I unfolded it slightly differently. I originally did so because I wanted to make the helm out of foam, but that was a bust. I did however stick with my new unfold because it was a bit simpler and would hopefully require less bondo. Good eye :)

Here's a link to my unfold if anybody's interested: http://www.4shared.com/file/pbbqdwws/Recon_Helm.html?

Wicked intense mega super cool awesome.

You've got a good grasp on foam armouring, well done. I never thought to use a stove for heat, so props for making my life easier there.

Keep up the great work, I am impressed with your strapping system, I may give it a whirl for my foam pieces.

Cheers

the new helmet looks great! Thats really smart of you to mix a little red hardner with the resin to see where youve already put it! I might snag that idea from ya when I'm resining the rest of my pieces.

PS your rondo looks really smooth and liquidy! Whats your trick for getting it liquidy enough to be able to just pour some into your pepped stuff and move it around to cover the inside? Mine is always way to thick to do that, and I add about 1:3 resin:bondo!

Your work is amazing and I'm planning on doing foam for my Reach build. This is giving me more inspiration to continue with that idea.

Great work on the helm it looks good. Nice and symetrical. Keep up the great work!

the new helmet looks great! Thats really smart of you to mix a little red hardner with the resin to see where youve already put it! I might snag that idea from ya when I'm resining the rest of my pieces.

PS your rondo looks really smooth and liquidy! Whats your trick for getting it liquidy enough to be able to just pour some into your pepped stuff and move it around to cover the inside? Mine is always way to thick to do that, and I add about 1:3 resin:bondo!

I personally use a 1:1 mix ratio for rondo. It helps me cover everything when I harden helmets.

-Tony

I do a 1:1 ratio and I pour it in, then use a foam brush to “paint’ it all over, then I just roll it around in my hands until it cures. Then I do a second layer for added strength.

Your work is amazing and I'm planning on doing foam for my Reach build. This is giving me more inspiration to continue with that idea.

Thank you :) And good luck on your reach build!

Great work on the helm it looks good. Nice and symetrical. Keep up the great work!

I personally use a 1:1 mix ratio for rondo. It helps me cover everything when I harden helmets.

-Tony

Thanks! This helmet has turned out a billion times better than any of the other helmets I’ve made. I’m super psyched. I also use a 1:1 mix for my rondo. Works like a charm.

This is looking amazing! Well done on all your progress, can't wait to see more,

-Phi

Thank you. I’ve actually been referencing your Dare build a lot for ideas on this one. Your suit really turned out marvelous :) I love the updated paint job you did on it.

Update:

So… I was at Harbor Freight this morning and found this little gem:

It’s a mini rotary tool just under half the size of my dremel (and was only $8!!!) It was perfect for cutting out the visor support thing and sanding it down. It also accepts dremel bits. It’s surprisingly powerful for something so tiny. I love it.

I’ve also just finished sanding down my helmet and painting on a base coat. :) Paint is still wet that’s why it looks shiny and a bit funky.

So far, I think this helmet is my favorite part of this build. :)

Thankyou for the tip on the resin:bondo, ill have to do that on my next round of rondoing.
The helmet looks great! I love the paint job and it looks like you did a great sanding job.
I can't believe that little rotary tool is only $8 ! I have to order one! It looks perfect for sanding, thankyou for posting it :D

The helmet look amazing! love it :)

Thankyou for the tip on the resin:bondo, ill have to do that on my next round of rondoing.
The helmet looks great! I love the paint job and it looks like you did a great sanding job.
I can't believe that little rotary tool is only $8 ! I have to order one! It looks perfect for sanding, thankyou for posting it :D

You’re welcome! I very highly suggest the rotary tool. I’ve never been able to maneuver the full size dremel well enough in confined spaces (like teh inside of a helmet). But this one is no bigger than my hand. It’s perfect! And adorable. I’m a sucker for cute things.

nice I want to see this finished, how is your MARK VI going?

It is for all intents and purposes... dead. Many of the pieces have been destroyed and I have no desire to ever work on a fully pepakura suit again. I do have plans to start anew with foam at some point in the future, but I have 2 more suits to make once I finish my Dare. I've promised one friend a H3 Marine. I also plan to make a Combat Evolved MK V for a buddy for his birthday next year(and conveniently the Halo 4 release!) shhh, it's a surprise.

Working on those suits will also give me plenty of opportunity to hone my foam skills to a point where I'll be comfortable making a foam MKVI.

Bexi, that Recon lid looks awesome!!!

Keep it up, girl!

Thanks! I hope to. Working on a super schweet custom paint job for it now :)

The helmet is looking great! I love that little dremel tool and it's significantly cheaper than the small extension thingy i bought for the my dremel.

You’re welcome! I very highly suggest the rotary tool. I’ve never been able to maneuver the full size dremel well enough in confined spaces (like teh inside of a helmet). But this one is no bigger than my hand. It’s perfect! And adorable. I’m a sucker for cute things.

It is for all intents and purposes... dead. Many of the pieces have been destroyed and I have no desire to ever work on a fully pepakura suit again. I do have plans to start anew with foam at some point in the future, but I have 2 more suits to make once I finish my Dare. I've promised one friend a H3 Marine. I also plan to make a Combat Evolved MK V for a buddy for his birthday next year(and conveniently the Halo 4 release!) shhh, it's a surprise.

Working on those suits will also give me plenty of opportunity to hone my foam skills to a point where I'll be comfortable making a foam MKVI.

Thanks! I hope to. Working on a super schweet custom paint job for it now :)

making an armor for a friend, that is noble!
Combat Evolved MK V or anniversary MK V ??? anyway I WANT TO SEE THAT
keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back