New recruit help 3d printing first set of armor!

VAULTJACKSON

Hello everybody! I am very new here and very new to building armor. I’ve always wanted to but now I’m getting serious. I have lots of questions. But first off I’m looking to 3d print a set of Mark VI eod armor (I believe mark VI is halo 3).
I’m currently deciding between an ender 3 printer or a CR-10.
I’ve seen the files available in the armory but I’m not sure how I go about resizing them to fit me?
Also the best type of filament to use both starting out 3d printing and for making the armor.
Some help or a link to where I could gather more good information would be amazing. Super excited to meet everybody, build my costume, and hopefully attend some events later! Thank you in advance!

Correct, The Mark VI EOD would be the Halo 3 version of the EOD.

The files in the Armory are primarily going to be .PDO files that are intended for use with Pepakura and/or Foam builds. Many also do contain .OBJ files that might e able to be converted to STLs for 3D printing, but that might take some work.

If you want to go the 3D printing route, check out the 3D Model Index:

It has entries for the Base Mark VI, which the EOD accessories would be built on top of, and the EOD Helmet:

Unfortunately at this time, there are no STLs for the EOD Shoulders and Chest available in the Model Index, but we are limited but what members of the community are generous enough to model up and offer to the rest of the community free of charge. It might be worth looking into sites like Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects, Cults3D, Yeggi, or maybe even Etsy for the Halo 3 EOD armor accessories for 3D printing. Or you might be able to commission someone or learn how to modify yourself the .OBJs of the Halo 3 accessories in the armory into 3D printable STLs.

As for sizing 3D models to fit you, most folks are going to recommend the Armorsmith program, it is a paid program, but many members have found that the cost more than offsets any money in lost filament from poorly scaled pieces. There are some free programs out there that folks use, but it seems they lack many of the features of ArmorSmith.

As for best Filament, you'll get a variety of answers and opinions. I would recommend looking through the Tutorial Index and finding some Work In Progress threads from other members and seeing what Filaments they used and their experiences with them:

Correct, The Mark VI EOD would be the Halo 3 version of the EOD.

The files in the Armory are primarily going to be .PDO files that are intended for use with Pepakura and/or Foam builds. Many also do contain .OBJ files that might e able to be converted to STLs for 3D printing, but that might take some work.

If you want to go the 3D printing route, check out the 3D Model Index:

It has entries for the Base Mark VI, which the EOD accessories would be built on top of, and the EOD Helmet:

Unfortunately at this time, there are no STLs for the EOD Shoulders and Chest available in the Model Index, but we are limited but what members of the community are generous enough to model up and offer to the rest of the community free of charge. It might be worth looking into sites like Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects, Cults3D, Yeggi, or maybe even Etsy for the Halo 3 EOD armor accessories for 3D printing. Or you might be able to commission someone or learn how to modify yourself the .OBJs of the Halo 3 accessories in the armory into 3D printable STLs.

As for sizing 3D models to fit you, most folks are going to recommend the Armorsmith program, it is a paid program, but many members have found that the cost more than offsets any money in lost filament from poorly scaled pieces. There are some free programs out there that folks use, but it seems they lack many of the features of ArmorSmith.

As for best Filament, you'll get a variety of answers and opinions. I would recommend looking through the Tutorial Index and finding some Work In Progress threads from other members and seeing what Filaments they used and their experiences with them:
Awesome I appreciate the links and other threads. I’ve been scrolling all morning looking for threads on the topics! Armorsmith sounds perfect, last thing I wanna do is print and put together something that I’ll have to end up scrapping! Hopefully I’ll be able to update soon on progress!

For filament I'm a big fan of Overture PLA. I get my supply from Amazon and it's about 18-20 USD per 1kg. The red, black and white all print very well for me at 210- 215c for the hot end and 60-70c for the bed on an Ender 5. While I'm sure once I reinforce parts of my suit I'll have less concer about anything breaking, no parts of armor or props have broken on me yet due to anything that wasn't me trying to break something. After about 20 rolls or so of the stuff I've never had issues with the quality. It's also not toxic so running it in smaller closed rooms is alright. Others have a lot of experience with PETG or ABS and should have some recommendations for those materials too.

For filament I'm a big fan of Overture PLA. I get my supply from Amazon and it's about 18-20 USD per 1kg. The red, black and white all print very well for me at 210- 215c for the hot end and 60-70c for the bed on an Ender 5. While I'm sure once I reinforce parts of my suit I'll have less concer about anything breaking, no parts of armor or props have broken on me yet due to anything that wasn't me trying to break something. After about 20 rolls or so of the stuff I've never had issues with the quality. It's also not toxic so running it in smaller closed rooms is alright. Others have a lot of experience with PETG or ABS and should have some recommendations for those materials too.
That’s perfect! Do you like your ender 5? I’ve been trying to do research and get input on a lot of models. I’ll probably go PLA from what I’ve seen it’s more beginner friendly!

That’s perfect! Do you like your ender 5? I’ve been trying to do research and get input on a lot of models. I’ll probably go PLA from what I’ve seen it’s more beginner friendly!
I do really like the Ender-5. It was a gift and I had no printing experience prior to it but over the years it has been nothing but a work horse. Very similar in specs to the Ender-3 with a little more print height I think and a lot more bulk. Both printers have spare parts easily found online and a lot of printable improvements out there to make upgrades your self. Ender-3s and CR-10s are great printers from what I see others say. 5s are big and about double the price of a 3. You only get a bit more print volume and a potentially steadier machine for that difference.

I do really like the Ender-5. It was a gift and I had no printing experience prior to it but over the years it has been nothing but a work horse. Very similar in specs to the Ender-3 with a little more print height I think and a lot more bulk. Both printers have spare parts easily found online and a lot of printable improvements out there to make upgrades your self. Ender-3s and CR-10s are great printers from what I see others say. 5s are big and about double the price of a 3. You only get a bit more print volume and a potentially steadier machine for that difference.
Okay cool I think I’m Definetly leaning more towards the ender series. Something with a good size build area and a sturdy frame is definitely what I’m after!

Chiming in here, I have an Ender 5 Plus that I really love so far. The larger print bed allows for most pieces of my suit that I've planned to be printed in one go! I got mine on sale last holiday season, it never hurts to shop the sales!

I've now done PLA, PLA+ and PETG on it and all three work great. PLA and PLA+ have been flawless with virtually no tinkering. PETG I'm having some stringing but that's kind of the name of the game with that filament type from what I understand.

I hope this helps!

I've got an Ender-5 as well and love it... but I wish I would have gotten the Ender-5 Plus instead of the pro. The print space for the plus would've been really useful for printing out armor and whatnot. The only issue I've had with the Ender-5 Pro was a PLA clog, but that is more of a user error thing, since I was swapping a bunch of filament out trying to use up the last of it off some spools that I have.

As for filament, I would avoid Creality, as I've had nothing but bad experiences with it. I use Sunlu filament from Amazon (2 rolls for $30), which I run at 210C with the bed at 60C. Never have any issues with it, making it my go-to PLA+.

When I go to order my filament, I bounce between PLA+ offerings from both Sunlu and eSun, depending on what's cheapest at the time. I'm quite pleased with the results from both! They print well and have withstood the wear and tear that comes with wearing a full 3d printed suit quite well.

My 2 cents....

I have 3 Creality printers, and I like all of them. My Ender 5 Pro (220x220x300) has been modified over the years (direct drive, Spyder hotend, upgraded mainboard, BL Touch, belt tensioners, etc...), but the K1 (220x220x250) and K1 Max (300x300x300) are straight out of the box. If you're wanting to 3D print larger pieces, and have the budget, I would highly recommend the K1 Max. Its very easy to use and prints crazy fast (I usually print at 300mm/s). All the calibrations are automated, just push a button. I've seen a lot of videos of people trashing the K1 and K1 Max, but personally I'm very happy with the purchases. Whichever way you go, a larger build volume will reduce amount of slicing needed and DRASTICALLY reduce the finishing/smoothing time.

For filament, I always had great results from Sunlu PLA+ on my Ender 5. When I got the K1 and K1 Max, I started looking at the high-speed PLA. My entire Master Chief suit is being printed with Elegoo Rapid PLA+. It prints amazing, and only costs about $15 per kilogram on Amazon (most of the high speed PLA I've found is around $22-$28 per kilo). Typically, since I'll be painting it anyway, I just print everything in black as its usually the cheapest color.

My Ender 5 prints PLA at 230 degrees for the hot end, and 60 degrees on the buildplate. My K1 and Max print the Elegoo at 220 hotend and 50 on the buildplate.

I would really recommend Creality PLA, I've always gotten good results printing with it. I run it on 210 degrees for the hot end and 55 degrees for the bed. Make sure to clean the bed before each use with white spirits to help with adhesion! (y)

This thread is more than 6 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back