Official pepakura scaling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg said:
OK, I'm going crazy here. I finished building my first helmet last night and found that it was a bit too small to fit on based upon the scaling methods outlined in this thread. I couldn't hardly get my head through the hole in the bottom without eliminating some of the pieces around the bottom. This was on the file entitled "MC Helmet" that Master Dave had made into a PDF (didn't use his PDF, though).

Now, I want to use Flying Squirl's detailed H3 helmet as my next build and want to be sure that it fits me. Here's the issue. FQ's scaling is a bit different than the other PDOs that have been discussed here before. His native scale is 0.255917 (using the "unwraped final h3 helm" file). I figured that I could base my needed head hole dimensions off of his supports. Using the support piece that goes from side to side along the head hole (see pic), the printed off piece (native scaling) gives me a head hole widest width of 5.5"! I measured my head and I get 23" circumference. Dwoo's chart shows that the scale should be 25.3 for a 23" head, which obviously won't work for this PDO. Rough measurements of my head from ear to ear (straightline distance) show that I would need 8" to comfortably fit my head into the hole. That's a scale factor of 1.4545 from what the helmet is currently scaled to, or .3722429. With that scale, the overall size of the helmet would be 39.3cm H x 34.4cm W x 49.4cm D. That's 15.5" high!! Something's not right here.

Can anyone give me an idea on where my math went awry? I do scaling work for a living (CAD designer) but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the proper dims.

[attachment=1152:Helmet_S...ng_Issue.JPG]
ive got a very low poly version of the helmit in my post so you dont need to do any of the more complicated ones for sizing. most people are between 26 - 30. im goin for 26.5 myself and im 6ft tall.

- Green Guitars - said:
So what would be the scale of a 14 year old boy whos height is about 5 feet tall :/

(i dont like thinking)
it shows. check the scaling chart.

Nicktendo said:
Oh my god that's going to be huge, haha.

I've heard that most helmets range from heights between 26 and 30 cm. I have a big head, (but I'm also 6'2") so mine's around 28.6cm. We'll see how that works...
haha, true. "from heights between 26 and 30 cm" true and "so mine's around 28.6cm" that seems about right... i think hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicktendo said:
Oh my god that's going to be huge, haha.

I've heard that most helmets range from heights between 26 and 30 cm. I have a big head, (but I'm also 6'2") so mine's around 28.6cm. We'll see how that works...

Thanks that is all i needed to hear lol...luckily i havent cut out much because of my weariness. From what i have seen it seems like 27" or so would be the average for me. I'll reprint everything on the other side of the cardstock and this time hopefully make something that will fit my head. Thanks a bunch

quixand_prop said:
I printed mine tonight based on a 26.10809 scale as per the scaling formula.
I didn't even bother finishing it. Half way through, I realized it was really about HALF the size I needed for my head.

Are these things in Pepa at a good scale to begin with?
I'm a big dude. 6'3 225 lbs.

Any thoughts?

When you print from pepekura it ask's if you want to rescale to fit the paper.... ALWAYS SAY NO! or it will screw up the scaling.
I found this out the hard way.

Wombat.

This is just to be helpful to people about my size.

I'm 5'6" with shoes, 160 lbs and wear a 7.5 hat size.

All 23.5
-Helmet
-Chest
-Biceps
-Crotch

All 21.5
-Feet (wear 10's should scale to 20 instead)
-Calfs
-Thighs

-Forearms

what if mine says the current scale is something diff than 30.whatever, also when i put my scale it, a ton of peices were to big for their paper, and i dont want to have to glue all of those togeather on top of the regular helmet, help?

You have to use Designer. It's free too, but you have to have a registered copy to save any changes including scale changes. Just write down you scale somewhere.

when makeing a weapon should you do the same thing? or should u transfer it from the size of the weapon instead of how tall you are to keep the proporsions correctly?

alright, i know someone will probably say something like "just read the thread its in there" but there are 9 pages and im not reading the whole thing. When i did what the tut said at the very beginning, all it seemed to do was reduce the size of the squares the pieces were on. It did nothing to the pieces themselves. Also, what is the "assembled size"? when i just put in the scale, it asked me to put something in for the assembled size and i dont know what to do. help me please...

also just to add, i dont know if it makes a difference, but im doing the helmet right now. i printed it to start without touching the scale. now i want the scaled pieces.

death said:
alright, i know someone will probably say something like "just read the thread its in there" but there are 9 pages and im not reading the whole thing. When i did what the tut said at the very beginning, all it seemed to do was reduce the size of the squares the pieces were on. It did nothing to the pieces themselves. Also, what is the "assembled size"? when i just put in the scale, it asked me to put something in for the assembled size and i dont know what to do. help me please...

also just to add, i dont know if it makes a difference, but im doing the helmet right now. i printed it to start without touching the scale. now i want the scaled pieces.
hahaha, sorry, i shouldnt laugh but its kinda funny. you did change the size, those squares the peices are on repisent the pieces of paper your guna print onto, therefore by them seeming to get smaller the pieces got bigger. you dont need to worry about the assembled size , when you input the scale the assembled size takes care of its self when you click ok.

"also just to add, i dont know if it makes a difference, but im doing the helmet right now. i printed it to start without touching the scale. now i want the scaled pieces." what? is that a question?

oh ok well i dont know what i did before, but i tried again and it worked fine. last question though, when its printed, do i just match up the numbers on the folds?

death said:
oh ok well i dont know what i did before, but i tried again and it worked fine. last question though, when its printed, do i just match up the numbers on the folds?
yes

1 --> 1
2 --> 2
111 --> 111
134 --> 134 etc

dont worry i did the same **** and thaught the same **** lol

sweet. thanks a LOT guys it really helps. :D

just editing so i don't double post, (not sure if this counts as double posting) but i just finished cutting out all the pieces. i used an exacto knife because the rigidity of the card stock is too tough for accurate scissor usage. My finger is now KILLING me from pushing down on the stuff for a few hours (yes, i did it all in one go) my last problem is WHERE TO START?! there are just so many #'s i dont know where!

I'm 5'11, and I'm starting FS's new H3 helmet. For those who have built it already I need to know what scale you used, ONLY if you're the same height as me, obviously.

death said:
sweet. thanks a LOT guys it really helps. :D

just editing so i don't double post, (not sure if this counts as double posting) but i just finished cutting out all the pieces. i used an exacto knife because the rigidity of the card stock is too tough for accurate scissor usage. My finger is now KILLING me from pushing down on the stuff for a few hours (yes, i did it all in one go) my last problem is WHERE TO START?! there are just so many #'s i dont know where!

Haha, after building a few pieces like that I stopped cutting everything at once, gluing everything at once, etc. Instead, I cut, score, and glue page by page (I don't use A4 so I have to rearrange the pieces for printing in Pepakura anyways) and then assemble the larger components. You might like to do that in the future but for the ones you've cut out now, not much else to do by doing it the hard way and picking up a piece and finding its' partner, glue and repeat. I guess you just have to grin and bear it.

SH_Jack said:
Haha, after building a few pieces like that I stopped cutting everything at once, gluing everything at once, etc. Instead, I cut, score, and glue page by page (I don't use A4 so I have to rearrange the pieces for printing in Pepakura anyways) and then assemble the larger components. You might like to do that in the future but for the ones you've cut out now, not much else to do by doing it the hard way and picking up a piece and finding its' partner, glue and repeat. I guess you just have to grin and bear it.
Yeah this method is what I adopted after building my second helm in a week...

Hopefully my third will be my last!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back