OFiveTwo's Build Thread (A proposition)

OFiveTwo

Hello all!
I've been closing in on 100k followers on Instagram at an alarming rate, and I wanted to see if I could somehow incorporate the 405th into my celebration plans!

Now, one of the things I am asked most often (alongside "aRE YoU tHe gUY frOm FoRTnitE?!") is how I make my suits, and if I could make a tutorial series! I've thought about starting one for a while now, and I've done little "taster" episodes talking about various aspects of the process, but I think it's time to properly make one. My plan is to film and post on a weekly basis, one episode per week, with updates and goals that someone following along could reasonably achieve in the same time frame.

I'd really like to invite people to not just watch the tutorial, but also follow along with me on a weekly basis so they feel like we're building together. My idea for this is to have a short segment in each video showcasing photos submitted by people each week of their progress, not to critique, just to highlight what people are up to! I thought about just having this on my discord, but I think this may actually be a great way to get more people interested and involved with the 405th if it's hosted on here!

Here's what I'm proposing:
I'd like to start a forum post on the site titled "Build a Spartan - With OFiveTwo" (or something along those lines, still workshopping the title). I'd also really like it to be somewhere easily accessible to people who may be looking at the site for the first time, wherever that may be best achieved. It'll be a place for people following the tutorial to post their progress photos (and eventually their showcase photos), along with asking more specific questions in regards to different parts of the tutorial.

I know that asking for a forum post on the front page of the 405th site is a pretty steep ask, so I'm open to any and all suggestions! Also, feel free to ask any questions, as I'll be putting together the different aspects for the tutorial launch this week.

Thanks!
-OFiveTwo

I'm gonna be making most of a foam suit to rearm fiss.of.fury over on IG. I can send progress pics of that when to start to help showcase progress and different methods

More details on what the tutorial would be about could help, are you planning on showing how to make Mk IV specifically? And how to make it using 3D printing?

Other than some clarifications this sounds like a good way to reach people who want to make armor!

More details on what the tutorial would be about could help, are you planning on showing how to make Mk IV specifically? And how to make it using 3D printing?

Other than some clarifications this sounds like a good way to reach people who want to make armor!
Yep, 3D printing will be the primary method! I think the actual armor I'll be showcasing is either the Mk VII or the Rakshasa armor, but I want to make the steps applicable to every kind of Halo armor, as most suits are pretty similar in process.
Think sort of a TED talk about making some armor! First week will just be getting initial supplies and deciding on a design, scaling and whatnot, second week is getting comfy with 3D printing, so printing out like a handplate or forearm combo, third week is helmets exc. Goal is to make it a little goofy as well

So from what I have been told by Cadet , our website simply does not have the infrastructure to do anything like a "featured creator/poster/etc". However. I do not want this to deter you from your lovely idea. What you can do is create well documented formats of your work in the "Tutorials" section and we can pin the work there. Myself and BobRossIsMaDad will work with you to promote your episodes across our media to get traffic there; and ultimately back here to the forum to follow along and help people build their character. Does that sound suitable to you?

Like Jonah mentioned, we do not have the capacity to easily highlight or feature a single thread on the Forum Index.

What I reccomened is starting your thread in the Halo Costumes section:

Once it has been established and meets the Criteria as set out by PerniciousDuke for inclusion as a 405th Tutorial, found in the first post of the Tutorial Index, I will move it to the Halo Costume Tutorial Section and add it to the Tutorial Index.

Individual Regiments Social Media may highlight, promote, or advertise individual member's build threads at their Discretion.

Like Jonah mentioned, we do not have the capacity to easily highlight or feature a single thread on the Forum Index.

What I reccomened is starting your thread in the Halo Costumes section:

Once it has been established and meets the Criteria as set out by PerniciousDuke for inclusion as a 405th Tutorial, found in the first post of the Tutorial Index, I will move it to the Halo Costume Tutorial Section and add it to the Tutorial Index.

Individual Regiments Social Media may highlight, promote, or advertise individual member's build threads at their Discretion.
Sounds good to me! I'm in the works for filming the first portion currently, and on track to be able to publish it this Friday! Platform-wise, I think I'll be promoting the tutorial mainly on Insta, then uploading the full length to both TikTok and YouTube, as Insta has issues with long-form uploads. I'll have a link to lead directly to the thread, but also encourage people to check out the site and explore!

First episode will just be setup and the conceptual phase, along with getting supplies and MAYBE printing one thing, so there will probably be at least a few people posting their armor concept ideas.

Agreed, if it is a helpful tutorial it can be pinned in the Tutorial Index. If it is just a fun and helpful group project sort of thing then being stickied in the Midwest may be the better option. If it grows into something beyond those options then you can always reprepose it to Division.

I would note when making all encompassing tutorials like this, be sure to give credit to all the things you didn't create. Like if you're templates are coming from the 405th Armory, you should be very clear you didn't make them.

Best of luck! It sounds like a fun project and a great way to interact with your followers.

Sounds good to me! I'm in the works for filming the first portion currently, and on track to be able to publish it this Friday! Platform-wise, I think I'll be promoting the tutorial mainly on Insta, then uploading the full length to both TikTok and YouTube, as Insta has issues with long-form uploads. I'll have a link to lead directly to the thread, but also encourage people to check out the site and explore!

First episode will just be setup and the conceptual phase, along with getting supplies and MAYBE printing one thing, so there will probably be at least a few people posting their armor concept ideas.
Update on this: I'm pushing this to next week. Editing takes TIME

Goal is to make it a little goofy as well
so that means... CAT EARS!!

This sounds very exciting! I'd like to contribute to this in any way I can! Unfortunately I don't think I'll be working on a new suit any time soon, so I won't have any progress pictures to contribute to the convo. But I can contribute OLD progress photos from my latest build!

Was there any further progress on this project? Would love to see if there's any help I can provide you!

Yes! I'm actually prepping a couple different suit options for the tutorial, the most recent of which is obviously the new Mk IV. It'll be on hold until I get back from my vacation on the 19th, though.
Sounds good! lemme know if there's anything I can do to be an accessory to your success with this project.

Long awaited update for this, video is dropping TOMORROW, March 1st! I'll also have the script posted in a new thread titled "Build-A-Spartan: with OFiveTwo" in the Halo Costumes section.

Hopefully Youtube doesn't just eat my video. Here we go!

Long awaited update for this, video is dropping TOMORROW, March 1st! I'll also have the script posted in a new thread titled "Build-A-Spartan: with OFiveTwo" in the Halo Costumes section.

Hopefully Youtube doesn't just eat my video. Here we go!
I've got my popcorn ready!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back