You comin?

• You bet!

• Maybe…

• I have yet to be nicely bullied into attending

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schankerz

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
Welcome all to the Otafest 2023 hype thread where we’ll discuss lodging, food plans, meetups, etc!

If you know you’ll be attending or are considering it please let us know in the poll so we can compile a list of really cool people.

Some info:
Where: Telus Convention Centre, Calgary
When: May 19-21, 2023
Who: YOU, yeah that’s right YOU, better be there or be the square <3

I’ll update this first post as new info and updates come in as the year goes on.

Last edited:
Adventure Going GIF

^me in May going to Ota to see friends in armour next year

Schankerz NewBrody Wait how are you guys getting there with your suits?? It's like a 30 hour drive or a flight one way $700 from detroit to calgary. If you fly how do you take your suits? If you drive (don't get your hopes up yet) is there an extra seat in the car?

edit: Actually I just looked it up, there's a flight Toronto to Calgary on that weekend for $150 one way... There are about a dozen other hoops I would have to jump through but it doesn't sound impossible......

Schankerz NewBrody Wait how are you guys getting there with your suits?? It's like a 30 hour drive or a flight one way $700 from detroit to calgary. If you fly how do you take your suits? If you drive (don't get your hopes up yet) is there an extra seat in the car?

edit: Actually I just looked it up, there's a flight Toronto to Calgary on that weekend for $150 one way... There are about a dozen other hoops I would have to jump through but it doesn't sound impossible......
I flew international (from the East coast USA) to Calgary last year and my flight was in the $300-400 USD range. Just pack a standard luggage sized armor crate and pray to the gods of baggage everything lives

So I've done some discussing with my mother. She flew to Calgary last summer and gave me some helpful advice.

There are three good cheap companies to fly with domestically in Canada: Swoop, Westjet, and flair. One of these companies goes to Edmonton, not Calgary though I forget which one. More often than not it is cheaper to fly out of Kitchener than it is to fly out of Toronto. Kitchener is a much smaller and therefore less busy airport even during the long weekend. Kitchener would be a longer drive for you guys though (about 2 hours from Orillia to Kitchener vs 1 and a half hours from Orillia to Toronto).

Because I will be working a co op job through my university I am not guaranteed any time off during the work term. It is the university policy to not allow students to take time off however my two older brothers who are in the same program were able to take the occasional Friday off if they made up lost time during the next week. So I will not be sure if I can get the Friday off until the work term starts the week of May 9 at the latest.

Because of the uncertainty of the Friday I decided to look at flights early Saturday morning. Yes, I would miss the first day of the convention, but I would still be able to get a full Saturday and Sunday. Flair has a flight that leaves 6:00am Saturday morning from Kitchener on a 4h15m direct flight to Calgary. This would put me there at 8:15am Calgary time. Monday is a holiday and they have a return flight leaving at 9:00am Calgary on a 3h45m direct flight to Kitchener. This would allow 2 full days of the convention and would require me to stay 2 full nights. The round trip for these two flights costs $197 before tax and baggage fees. Link: HERE

I could easily get myself to Kitchener Friday night after work and catch the flight Saturday morning. While unlikely, I could try to catch a few more Z's on the plane and arrive in Calgary around 8:15am. I will have the 22 of may off as it is a holiday so I could use that time to fly to Kitchener for around 3:00pm, and be home in Windsor by supper time.

You guys are probably planning to go for all 3 days, but I would be all too happy to join up on day 2 and 3. NewBrody Schankerz I assume you guys will be going up together. If you guys are planning on splitting a hotel room and have space for one more I would be glad to chip in for the nights I'm there.

I haven't done any research on how far the convention centre is from the airport or what the best method of getting from the airport into town is, but this is a good start I think. Thoughts?

So I've done some discussing with my mother. She flew to Calgary last summer and gave me some helpful advice.

There are three good cheap companies to fly with domestically in Canada: Swoop, Westjet, and flair. One of these companies goes to Edmonton, not Calgary though I forget which one. More often than not it is cheaper to fly out of Kitchener than it is to fly out of Toronto. Kitchener is a much smaller and therefore less busy airport even during the long weekend. Kitchener would be a longer drive for you guys though (about 2 hours from Orillia to Kitchener vs 1 and a half hours from Orillia to Toronto).

Because I will be working a co op job through my university I am not guaranteed any time off during the work term. It is the university policy to not allow students to take time off however my two older brothers who are in the same program were able to take the occasional Friday off if they made up lost time during the next week. So I will not be sure if I can get the Friday off until the work term starts the week of May 9 at the latest.

Because of the uncertainty of the Friday I decided to look at flights early Saturday morning. Yes, I would miss the first day of the convention, but I would still be able to get a full Saturday and Sunday. Flair has a flight that leaves 6:00am Saturday morning from Kitchener on a 4h15m direct flight to Calgary. This would put me there at 8:15am Calgary time. Monday is a holiday and they have a return flight leaving at 9:00am Calgary on a 3h45m direct flight to Kitchener. This would allow 2 full days of the convention and would require me to stay 2 full nights. The round trip for these two flights costs $197 before tax and baggage fees. Link: HERE

I could easily get myself to Kitchener Friday night after work and catch the flight Saturday morning. While unlikely, I could try to catch a few more Z's on the plane and arrive in Calgary around 8:15am. I will have the 22 of may off as it is a holiday so I could use that time to fly to Kitchener for around 3:00pm, and be home in Windsor by supper time.

You guys are probably planning to go for all 3 days, but I would be all too happy to join up on day 2 and 3. NewBrody Schankerz I assume you guys will be going up together. If you guys are planning on splitting a hotel room and have space for one more I would be glad to chip in for the nights I'm there.

I haven't done any research on how far the convention centre is from the airport or what the best method of getting from the airport into town is, but this is a good start I think. Thoughts?
I was looking at kitchener because I hate Pearson. Honestly we could probably all fly out of there, it's not a bad airport, plus it is cheap like you said.

I was looking at kitchener because I hate Pearson. Honestly we could probably all fly out of there, it's not a bad airport, plus it is cheap like you said.
Yup the prices are pretty ok for a long weekend. Just depends... We'd only be on the same flight if you guys went up on the Saturday morning, otherwise we'd just meet up in Calgary, which works well too.

That's the May long weekend and depending on where you're working the Monday is the stat holiday if that helps your planning for travel.

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back